What did you forget???

• HTML tutorial

Lazlo

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Aspen, CO
Member #

I’m new to overlanding, and somewhat obsessed now that I’ve been working toward getting my 96 Land Cruiser ready for the trail. Haven’t been real camping in years, and I THINK I have what I need...

My question for the veterans is, if you think back to your first time, is there one thing that sticks out that you said... “I can’t believe I forgot to bring _______?”

I’m heading to Overland Expo West next week from Santa Barbara, CA, for my first outing (solo at that) and I’m sure that when I get there I’m gonna have forgotten my tent or my sleeping bag or my truck for that matter [emoji4]

Last edited:

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

I’ve never forgotten anything really important, it’s usually small things. I did a backpacking trip years ago when I forgot a flashlight. And my last trip, I forgot propane, but realized it before I got to camp, and got some at the last gas stop. Little things like this can be an inconvenience, but not trip enders. I’ll be at expo as well, see you there!

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
The best advice I can give is use a list and modify as needed from each trip. I camp a bit here and there. The biggest thing that has helped me over the years is the list. When I bikepack, I am limited on space, so I've learned to make due with what I can carry and find things that serve multiple uses. Luckily with all variations of camping, I tend to make shorter trips here and there to dial in my setup and to also test new gear. If you can, I would see about taking an overnight-er or this next weekend (if you can) to just go somewhere and camp or mock up your setup. Not the best solution, but it'll help you get a better idea. I would also suggest using the checklist that Michael and Corrie have worked on as a basis for your setup. Their 3 case option as well has helped me. I have watched the video of Michael going through the cases probably a million times and I have gone through the list and printed it out many times. As I am an over-preparer (mainly from being in Boy Scouts for so many years and from all of the trips I've done), I tend to overthink and stress out over gear. The list helps a TON! and the 3 case method with a list for each case has helped simplify the process. If you forget something, we are all here to help as much as we can, and luckily with Expo, there is Flagstaff right there and the vendors there to help better equip you if needed. Hope this helps!

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

I'm kinda to organised to actually forget to bring something. I have a A4 sheet filled with all items organised by with box or bag they are in..

But asside from forgetting, we did our first real tent camping last year, it was early and we were cold as heck so we layered more on our second trip. We also bought some more quality air matrasses as the cheap ones we had made a hell of a cracking noise every time we moved even slightly..

But you got 1 thing going for ya, there isn't a lot that isn't for sale at the Expo haha.

E

Eric the Eric

I would say my worst forgetful moment on an Overland trip was Toilette Paper. Had to drive 1.5 hours out of my way to get some. There was still snow on the ground but that gets old and cold real quick ;)
I have since switched to "Dude Wipes", I just leave a box in the rig at all times now.
Field Hygiene is key to a good adventure!

ckkphoto

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rome, Georgia US
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Knitig
Member #

A hopefully helpful tip is to have gear packed the same in the same containers. That way by looking at it you know what is supposed to be in eachand whether you are missing one.

Also on items like matches and toilet paper pack with some redundancy. That way you are covered regardless.

Every time i camp i ask myself what i wish i had and add it before putting everything away. Usually now all i do is pull crates pack food and go.

Reactions: chuckoverland

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Extra shoes and pillow. I now keep an old pair of shoes in my trailer for just in case, have to walk a stream, others go wet, whatever else.. I have forgotten my pillow lots of times and bought temporary crappy ones at various stores... Other than that most of my stuff is in gear boxes so unless I forget an entire box, not likely, I am generally in good shape.

Checklists help for sure.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I would say my worst forgetful moment on an Overland trip was Toilette Paper. Had to drive 1.5 hours out of my way to get some. There was still snow on the ground but that gets old and cold real quick ;)
I have since switched to "Dude Wipes", I just leave a box in the rig at all times now.
Field Hygiene is key to a good adventure!
I used to leave a roll in the rig, but now I just hang onto the extra napkins from the drive thru's as they're multipurpose versus the soft TP and breaks up easy.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Extra shoes and pillow. I now keep an old pair of shoes in my trailer for just in case, have to walk a stream, others go wet, whatever else.. I have forgotten my pillow lots of times and bought temporary crappy ones at various stores... Other than that most of my stuff is in gear boxes so unless I forget an entire box, not likely, I am generally in good shape.

Checklists help for sure.
I used to never bring a pillow. A jacket or a stuff sack with clothes used to suffice.

Reactions: grubworm
E

Eric the Eric

A deck of cards.

Jim
I always have one set in the glove box at all times. I know lots of folks bring tablets and DVD players but a book and a set of cards goes along way for me in the sticks.

Reactions: Patriot

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I forgot the extra white gas on one trip. Had the stove, but ran out of fuel for it. Had to go into town questing for more. (And yes, I know, gasoline is an option, but it doesn't run as clean and is prone to messing up the generator tube/orifice. And that is a bigger problem.)

Gpschef

Rank II

Enthusiast II

I once lef my insulin at a McDonald’s after stopping for a icecream come for my dog! Got to the campsite, sent up tent started a fire for dinner started prepping Cornish game hens and potatoes for dinner with fresh asparagus! Went to test blood sugar before dinner and realized insulin case was not with blood sugar kit!
Had to dowse fire making sure it was out,pack tent and other supplies load xterra up and drive two hours to McDonald’s to get insulin! Yes I did get the dog another cone and just drove home and called it a weekend!

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Not vehicle overlanding but on a 2 week backpacking trip on the pct I managed to remember power packs to recharge the phone for taking notes and photos and charging the camera but forgot the charging cords and memory cards . But it was a blessing in disguise because I spent all my time enjoying where I was and the journey more than trying to get great photos .

Reactions: grubworm