• HTML tutorial

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Received and installed some goodies from rotopax and Overland Equipped today. Their stuff ain't cheap but it's nice! Also rotated the tires with the spare.

View attachment 18388 View attachment 18389
Looks well done, I also have a Gobi Ladder and not sure if I would want 40lbs of leveraged weight on mine, but keep us updated on how it works out for you. Just curious if you don't mine me asking, why did you go with the thin wall fuelpax instead of a rotopax for the fuel? I use to run rotopax but stopped for several reasons but I will say that their customer service is AMAZING. I had an issue with 1 of the delux pack mounts when I made my large order to them (got 2 4 gallon fuel, a 2 gallon water and 2 gallon fuel, mounting plate, extensions and deluxe pack mounts), they warrantied it, but I was surprise when I ended up getting 2 extensions and 2 deluxe pack mounts as replacements, I called to say... I think you screwed up, and they said nope. Spread the good word. I think they are great containers just not for my application but am building a trailer and they will work there.

But back to fuelpax vs rotopax. Why? there is only 10 dollars difference which can be eliminated depending on where you buy, but the rotopax have expanded on me to the point that I was scared I could not get them off without venting and with how I store them that would mean spilling fuel on the rig. Looking at your photos, the fuelpax is already bulging like a mofo in the large surface areas (top and bottom).

One last bit of advise, lose the lock in the loxpack. I have seen dozens seize up and your screwed trying to get these dam things off. I cheaped out and god deluxe mount and drilled a hole in the top bar that I could put a master lock thru. Doing this does not allow you to keep the upper and lower T handles nice and pretty but it works and master locks do not have seize issue that the loxpacks do. At a minimum I would only install the lock when you need it. Like getting ready for an outing and stopping by the store with the packs installed.

But feel free to google rotopax lock seized. Then see what you need to do to get the dam thing off. Not fun at all. And something will be destroyed. You will see many people complain about this, I'm just trying to save you the headache of needing the stuff and not being able to get it off of your rig. But great looking setup.

Reactions: Glenn and NV.Recon

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

I worked on the trailer. Added a small LED light. Had to add a license plate to my state plate and bore a whole. Now I can see my tag a long at night.

Reactions: Glenn

GXnGS

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mountain House, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hambly
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6MVX
Looks well done, I also have a Gobi Ladder and not sure if I would want 40lbs of leveraged weight on mine, but keep us updated on how it works out for you. Just curious if you don't mine me asking, why did you go with the thin wall fuelpax instead of a rotopax for the fuel? I use to run rotopax but stopped for several reasons but I will say that their customer service is AMAZING. I had an issue with 1 of the delux pack mounts when I made my large order to them (got 2 4 gallon fuel, a 2 gallon water and 2 gallon fuel, mounting plate, extensions and deluxe pack mounts), they warrantied it, but I was surprise when I ended up getting 2 extensions and 2 deluxe pack mounts as replacements, I called to say... I think you screwed up, and they said nope. Spread the good word. I think they are great containers just not for my application but am building a trailer and they will work there.

But back to fuelpax vs rotopax. Why? there is only 10 dollars difference which can be eliminated depending on where you buy, but the rotopax have expanded on me to the point that I was scared I could not get them off without venting and with how I store them that would mean spilling fuel on the rig. Looking at your photos, the fuelpax is already bulging like a mofo in the large surface areas (top and bottom).

One last bit of advise, lose the lock in the loxpack. I have seen dozens seize up and your screwed trying to get these dam things off. I cheaped out and god deluxe mount and drilled a hole in the top bar that I could put a master lock thru. Doing this does not allow you to keep the upper and lower T handles nice and pretty but it works and master locks do not have seize issue that the loxpacks do. At a minimum I would only install the lock when you need it. Like getting ready for an outing and stopping by the store with the packs installed.

But feel free to google rotopax lock seized. Then see what you need to do to get the dam thing off. Not fun at all. And something will be destroyed. You will see many people complain about this, I'm just trying to save you the headache of needing the stuff and not being able to get it off of your rig. But great looking setup.
This is precisely why I love this community! Thank you @utspoolup for the advice, comments and suggestions. This is my first set of rotopax/fuelpax products and I'm glad you shared the concerns with the locks. Would you mind posting a pic of the way you use a master lock to keep them secure? Last thing I want is to deal with the hassle of the seized lock. But now I'm bummed I spent the money on the loxpack! Since it's so new maybe I'll ask about a return based on the feedback about the locks.

And the decision to use a fuelpax was purely based on a sale they had a few weeks ago. I got the fuelpax for $49 and had read some reviews that it was a good product (at least for my use) especially at that price point. But yes at regular price I also would have gone with rotopax especially for the ability to stack. As is, it seems to work on the ladder and I'll be happy to report back after some more time, especially once I've had the truck on a few rough roads. Seems extremely sturdy but I'll keep an eye on it. Worst case scenario I also bought a rotopax L bracket that allows me to stack both containers on the roof rack which could be a more robust mounting option. In the meantime I'll also keep venting them as the weather gets warmer since they're mounted vertically. Thanks again!

Reactions: utspoolup

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Here is a quick video of it mounted: DIY iPad Mount - 1997 Toyota FlipPac Rig

My DIY mounting of my iPad for travel and navigation needs. It involved removing a few screws and plastic, routing some durable Velcro through the duct divider, cutting a couple slits in a spare iPad case, then putting it all together. It was quick and easy, I'm still able to use my cup holders, and most importantly it doesn't move around on the rough Alaskan backroads. Also it is easy to get the iPad in and out of the case, so I can easily take it with me or put away out of sight.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I would look into that check engine light ! LOL
Neat idea for mounting though ! :wink:

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

This is precisely why I love this community! Thank you @utspoolup for the advice, comments and suggestions. This is my first set of rotopax/fuelpax products and I'm glad you shared the concerns with the locks. Would you mind posting a pic of the way you use a master lock to keep them secure? Last thing I want is to deal with the hassle of the seized lock. But now I'm bummed I spent the money on the loxpack! Since it's so new maybe I'll ask about a return based on the feedback about the locks.

And the decision to use a fuelpax was purely based on a sale they had a few weeks ago. I got the fuelpax for $49 and had read some reviews that it was a good product (at least for my use) especially at that price point. But yes at regular price I also would have gone with rotopax especially for the ability to stack. As is, it seems to work on the ladder and I'll be happy to report back after some more time, especially once I've had the truck on a few rough roads. Seems extremely sturdy but I'll keep an eye on it. Worst case scenario I also bought a rotopax L bracket that allows me to stack both containers on the roof rack which could be a more robust mounting option. In the meantime I'll also keep venting them as the weather gets warmer since they're mounted vertically. Thanks again!

Being you already have the loxpack just use them but if you start to have problems with the tumbler or are worried from the stories on the net, remove the tumbler, you will have a large hole. Basically what I drilled into mine just a large hole.

Then after everything it tight, turn the top t handle another 1/8 of a turn clockwise (tighter). Now place a masterlock thru the hole on the top handle only and secure, then loosen not quite the 1/8 of a turn till it binds up. You can see that the top handle can not turn, The bottom T is bound by the divots and peaks in the container and cannot turn, and the only way to loosen it is to remove the lock. As mentioned in my original reply, I use this method if I am away from the rig and the pax were installed as there will be little nicks in the finish of the handle due to the lock, but it works. I do not EDC fuel or water in my rig, only when I plan on going out, or if I am making a trip.

Another thing for those who stack paks that are not ganged (IE 4 gallon or 2 2gallons since they use 2 sets hardware), if you stack 2 gallons or 3 gallons with a single pak mount, all you need to do is spin the entire top pak off and the hardware lets it happen... A gun lock works great to prevent this, or working the 2 up against a solid edge when mounting, but the lock can be deceiving when you know how these work.

I now carry USGI fuel and water cans. Oddly everyone says "those are expensive" but they actually cost less than a rotopax of equivalent volume. But I'm still a fan on how easy the rotopax are to mount in a million different applications, and again, they have kick ass customer service. Again, let us know how the ladder mount works out for you.

Reactions: GXnGS

Casey.Broach

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scranton SC
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Broach
Member #

Its really hard to find overlanding stuff for tahoes. I want a gobi style rack for it but having trouble finding something thats not a yakima lol
Yeah it is very hard to find stuff for Tahoes I did talk to gobi and they said that they could make a rack for the Tahoe I just have to bring it in and they will have to design one and fabricate it. So no problem at all. Lol. The hardest thing I am running into is a back bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Corey

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Auburn, WA.
Member #

Added a Krazy Beaver "Murder Spork" diecut sticker to the passenger side of my ARB bumper, actually yesterday.
This rounds out the Lifestyle Overland diecut sticker I have on the drivers side of the bumper.
Also have the murder spork sticker on one of my Aluboxes.

Was going to move my fire extinguisher from the drop down table on my rear door over to the MPac Siderack for the Powertank, but I do not think the weather will hold.
Suppose to start raining before long.
Tomorrow looks like better weather to attack that.

I want to move it as whenever I want to drop the table down, you have to remove the fire extinguisher.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Nothing spectacular. Cleaned out the interior. Now I'm thinking in my brain on how to organize the truck for the Mojave road trip. Next weekend is loading the truck for Mojave road, doing brakes on the truck and hitting Costco for last minute food prep.

Sent from my LG-H810 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Zargon and 9Mike2