Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I installed a new front gear set and true-trac to replace the front gears that went KPOW in my jeep. Holy hell its a lot of work. But got a good pattern n backlash after hours of swearing at it and taking it apart, and putting it back together and taking it apart and putting it back together and taking it apart and putting it back together... Everything in my upper body is still angry at me after wrestling with it all day Saturday.

On to the long break in process...
That's tough work and I know some serious ASE guys that would not touch it....Nice work. Did that one have a pinion crush sleave or naww.?
Zim

Reactions: Shahn and rho

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
That's tough work and I know some serious ASE guys that would not touch it....Nice work. Did that one have a pinion crush sleave or naww.?
Zim
Its not that tough to do, really. The bigger thing that the job a HUGE pain was not having the right bearing presses, race presses, seal tools, bearing pullers, etc. The measurements are trivial to do, reading the gear mesh pattern and trying to figure out what to do with it was a challenge, but overall its still easier than a lot of what we do for some of our space qualified motors/gearboxes.

The other side of course, were the physical demands of this job, and that was VERY challenging.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Its not that tough to do, really. The bigger thing that the job a HUGE pain was not having the right bearing presses, race presses, seal tools, bearing pullers, etc. The measurements are trivial to do, reading the gear mesh pattern and trying to figure out what to do with it was a challenge, but overall its still easier than a lot of what we do for some of our space qualified motors/gearboxes.

The other side of course, were the physical demands of this job, and that was VERY challenging.
Exactly. If it was easy everyone would be doing it...LOL
Just noticed your name. My best friend, who owns a repair shop, is Adam Penning. Small world. LOL
Zim

• Haha
Reactions: Shahn and rho

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Removed old fan clutch & replaced with new modified fan clutch ( thicker oil ) and new shroud. Sounds easy and it is, but with dual batteries it takes time. Modified the clutch by removing 10 ml of original silicone oil & replacing it with 10 ml of 20,000 wt silicone oil. An easy mod which should allow me to slog up long hills or plow through deep sand without getting hot as it lowers the operating temp by about 5 degrees. I was amazed that the dealership had a new shroud for a 25 year old vehicle the next day, & for less money than used ones on flea bay..

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I missed a few days of updates. The M416 is pretty much done. I just got the wiring harness in yesterday and will be doing that up today. Along with some HMMWV taillights.

I got the CJ2A started on it's way down. I have some folks from the local Jeep club coming to help lift the tub off tonight at which point I'll roll the frame into the shop and start tearing the drivetrain apart. And hope to have the hood stripped down and painted by the end of the day as well.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I missed a few days of updates. The M416 is pretty much done. I just got the wiring harness in yesterday and will be doing that up today. Along with some HMMWV taillights.

I got the CJ2A started on it's way down. I have some folks from the local Jeep club coming to help lift the tub off tonight at which point I'll roll the frame into the shop and start tearing the drivetrain apart. And hope to have the hood stripped down and painted by the end of the day as well.

Awesome stuff right here now.
Zim

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Changed rear diff fluid in the XJ, rotated tires on the CJ5, ran the wiring for the lights on the M416 but haven't moutned or wired the lights yet. Got the hood for the 2A stripped, primed and painted and got the tub pulled off and frame rolled into the garage.

First panel of the project is stripped, primed and painted. Tub is removed and frame is pushed into the garage for further disassembly.

"Ford Dark Gray"