Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Brendon
Last Name
P
Member #

Added a 1” spacer lift to just barely squeak above my ground clearance goal and finally picked up some Maxtrax Mini after I’ve tested my luck in the sand by the Gulf a few too many times. Anyone in the Houston area should check out Racks for the Road in Tomball. Owner is a good guy and he’s a dealer for Yakima, Thule, Maxtrax, Tepui, Rotopax, Frontrunner, and a few more neat toys.

03E08B55-5B15-4DEB-9917-CB8A3B55E3E1.jpeg

Kilo_17

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sedro-Woolley, WA, USA
First Name
Miles
Last Name
Bergevin
Member #

Got my spark plugs changed and reaffirmed my lack of faith for mechanic shops in general. I know there are good ones out there but if I can, I will.

Dirt and grime packed into the crush washer on 3 plugs, God knows what fell into the cylinders.
20200616_185738.jpg

This one had D&G packed in between crush washer and it's seat.... this is how it came out yes...
20200616_185701.jpg

MWallace

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger II

Hamilton, Ohio, USA
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
Wallace
Member #

Service Branch
USMC Veteran
pretty colorful!
any "enhancements" or all stock?
The block was bored .020 over, but that is all. I did buy a replacement head from Clearwater cylinder head with the beefed-up casting to replace the stock 0331 casting head. I was going for reliable over increased performance. I did upgrade the alternator to a 136-amp unit from a 99 Durango though. The color was just for fun as it doesn't really matter, and I was waiting for the block to come back from the machine shop and had the time.

Reactions: Broke and Kilo_17

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

ya-hoo- 35 miles from home, 10 of them up a mountain. had a look and seen the cv axle wasted. ok, no big deal, i can get this home....except every time i tried to crank the wheel over, it kept jamming, and i could turn the wheel twice, but the tires weren't moving a corresponding amount. after a slow hour trip i managed to get it home.
Nice carnage! Good job getting it home.

Reactions: Broke

Highplainsdrifter

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

X
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Pressley
Member #

Finally got my lift installed icon stage 4 with billet upper control arm and some 17 inch method wheels and 285-70r17 Toyo mt I’ve wanted this for years it turned out better than I thought what do you guys think ?

Attachments

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Thanks man. Yeah I have a love/hate relationship with this Tahoe. But that’s any rig you build. Haha. Plus I feel it’s a unique look in the overland community. Don’t see too many.
Try overlanding in a cop car for don’t see many.

Attachments

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Finally got my lift installed icon stage 4 with billet upper control arm and some 17 inch method wheels and 285-70r17 Toyo mt I’ve wanted this for years it turned out better than I thought what do you guys think ?
Those look like substantial upgrades!

Highplainsdrifter

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

X
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Pressley
Member #

Those look like substantial upgrades!
Ya dude I’ve wanted to do it for a while it’s just so much money but the wife was on board I just had to tell her that we can get to more places now and she was all for it so I pulled the trigger just got it back today

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Ya dude I’ve wanted to do it for a while it’s just so much money but the wife was on board I just had to tell her that we can get to more places now and she was all for it so I pulled the trigger just got it back today
Now that you got that big upgrade out the way, everything else will seem less expensive. Fridge, RTT, dual batteries, etc.

Highplainsdrifter

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

X
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Pressley
Member #

Wired up some rigid lights today the brackets I ordered didn’t allow the bolt to fit due to the hood being directly under the area the hole was located so I had to drill my own but it still turned out ok

Attachments

Reactions: Broke and RoarinRow

DIYTaco15

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Stewart
Member #

Had les Schwab install new struts on my Tacoma. Then..... kept hearing a clank when driving over pot holes and manhole covers. Looked under the truck to see 4 bolts that I think are the sway bar that weren’t tight but we’re almost falling off. We are leaving at 5am to go camp. Good thing I checked myself and found it now rather than later.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Broke and RoarinRow

TheGreyhound

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
B
Member #

Had les Schwab install new struts on my Tacoma. Then..... kept hearing a clank when driving over pot holes and manhole covers. Looked under the truck to see 4 bolts that I think are the sway bar that weren’t tight but we’re almost falling off. We are leaving at 5am to go camp. Good thing I checked myself and found it now rather than later.
Yep sway bar bushings. They make a big racket when they knock around. Not a huge deal for safety though. Tighten up and good to go! (Super common on my vehicle for making gratuitous amounts of noise and banging around!)

Reactions: DIYTaco15

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Thanks! Really happy with the way it turned out it was MUCH cheaper than the Goose Gear setup I was originally looking at. He uses pine plywood so it's really light.
I agree, I would have gone this route as well. So many possibilities now.