What Did You Do With Your Rig Today?

• HTML tutorial

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

We have had a new clutch fitted to the trophy today ...nothing much wrong with the old one and the rig has only covered 80k , but a good friend of mine who run a cruiser shop has had a new Terrain tamer heavy duty gold clutch ... the kit come with
1,clutch plate
1 pressure plate
1 thrust bearing
1 input bearing
1 alignment tool

The cost is not cheap here in the uk £900 for the full kit ..but i love thing rig and she's worth it ..View attachment 64050
Very nice! Let us know how it improves the feel ! I just had a new clutch and transmission put in my 2008 JK at 116k miles. The old tranny/clutch felt fine, but was making some noise. My dealership told me that synchro wear was causing the noise, and recommended replacement. I was fine with it because the Jeep came with a lifetime warranty on the drive trane. I had them go ahead and replace the clutch, since it would reduce the labor charge whilet he tranny was out. Anyway, the new (Chrysler remanufactured) transmission has all the updates since my 2008 was made and it feels better than it did new! No noise, smooth shifting, smooth clutch. I've now got 124k on the Jeep and overall, it feels and runs beautifully. There are many miles and memories yet to come for this old JK!

Today, I'll be trying to repair the electronic sway bar disconnect. They tend to get dirt and mud up inside them and corrode and dry out. If the motor is bad, they are $1200 to replace. Ouch! Fortunately, if that is the case, (I hope not) there is a manual device to replace it that is around 100 bucks. I hope it just needs cleaned and greased. That's a pain, but I can do it for free.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Very nice! Let us know how it improves the feel ! I just had a new clutch and transmission put in my 2008 JK at 116k miles. The old tranny/clutch felt fine, but was making some noise. My dealership told me that synchro wear was causing the noise, and recommended replacement. I was fine with it because the Jeep came with a lifetime warranty on the drive trane. I had them go ahead and replace the clutch, since it would reduce the labor charge whilet he tranny was out. Anyway, the new (Chrysler remanufactured) transmission has all the updates since my 2008 was made and it feels better than it did new! No noise, smooth shifting, smooth clutch. I've now got 124k on the Jeep and overall, it feels and runs beautifully. There are many miles and memories yet to come for this old JK!

Today, I'll be trying to repair the electronic sway bar disconnect. They tend to get dirt and mud up inside them and corrode and dry out. If the motor is bad, they are $1200 to replace. Ouch! Fortunately, if that is the case, (I hope not) there is a manual device to replace it that is around 100 bucks. I hope it just needs cleaned and greased. That's a pain, but I can do it for free.

Once I saw how they worked, I just cannot trust those auto disconnect anti-sway bar links, just a nightmare waitng to happen.. If you can't fix it go manual

Reactions: DanW

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Once I saw how they worked, I just cannot trust those auto disconnect anti-sway bar links, just a nightmare waitng to happen.. If you can't fix it go manual
Yeah, I always wondered about it. It is still driveable, though, so it wouldn't have stranded me. It's served 11 years and 125k miles, with lots of off-roading. I am starting to think that these should just be included in the 100k maintenance. Remove, clean, grease, reinstall, and go. It will be telling to see what condition it is in when I take it apart. Then again, it might be in great condition, but with a failed actuator. The manual disconnect will be on deck then, for sure. I may even buy it anyway and just keep it for a trail repair if that electric actuator ever bites the dust. Removing the actuator doesn't look like such a big deal. The good news is that the new one on the JL is up higher and the actuator and connector appear to be sealed much more effectively.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Reactions: Overland Generation

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Reactions: Ben Cleveland

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Gave some TLC to the old JK. The
Well, the good news is that the sway bar actuator appears to be just fine. However, the rest of the mechanism had water intrusion and the grease had gunked up and broken down. There was a bit of rust and pitting on some parts too, but not as bad as the ones I saw on the YouTube videos on how to fix it. I'm about 2/3 of the way done at this point. Here are some pics. Note the before/after pics of the mechanism. Yuck! I did quite a bit of wire brushing on it to clean it up. When I get the other half of the mechanism done (It is simpler) then I'll liberally cover it in marine grease. I'm thinking that every 80k or so, I'll take this thing apart and service it before it fails to reconnect.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

IMG_20180811_133244456.jpg
Explored Harrison West FSR to scout a water crossing around a very nasty washed out bridge with my dear eldest daughter. I'll be posting a more in depth trail recce report on the thread I started in the Canada/BC section. The long and the short of it is, I'm fairly confident the CRV could do the crossing, except I was solo today and some campers had setup their tent smack dab in the middle of where I'd have to drive lol. Trail report: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/harrison-to-pemberton-fsr-11aug2018-trail-scouting-report.17899/#post-245647
IMG_20180811_134713711_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
S

SubeeBen

A193C499-F1A7-4055-BA68-2028D06AE3EF.jpeg 199CC47E-41A9-489E-89E2-8A8344688847.jpeg Left the house @ 4 am from San Diego Ca. On our journey to Mesa Az. To pick up our new/used T@G trailer from Tom’s Camperland for our rental business. First journey to start many :) . Got home & 7:30 pm Looooong day but awesome trip. Lift /fenders & a few other upgrades to come but all in all great road trip.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Re-attached my dipstick tube which pulled out in my hand when I went to check the oil. Apparently a common problem with these engines - the tube is just pressed into the block. In fact someone had previously repaired it with some kind of orange rubbery goop. JB weld to the rescue!

I learned quite a bit about the underside of my engine bay by pulling the plastic skid plate and protective bar off - including the close calls I've had that scraped the transmission housing, but luckily did nothing but the most superficial damage. Time for skid plates...

I found a bunch of low lying and somewhat ratty looking electrical connectors that I should probably try to waterproof before doing that water crossing. Tightened up my loose oil pan screws, which could be the reason for the very slow, oozy leak I was having.

I also discovered that my driver's side engine mount is bad, checked out my belts, which actually look pretty new, and hopefully fixed the issue of my exhaust banging on the underside of the vehicle once and for all. Lotta wrenching and a whole lottla kludge today.IMG_20180813_142539102.jpg

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Gave some TLC to the old JK. The

Well, the good news is that the sway bar actuator appears to be just fine. However, the rest of the mechanism had water intrusion and the grease had gunked up and broken down. There was a bit of rust and pitting on some parts too, but not as bad as the ones I saw on the YouTube videos on how to fix it. I'm about 2/3 of the way done at this point. Here are some pics. Note the before/after pics of the mechanism. Yuck! I did quite a bit of wire brushing on it to clean it up. When I get the other half of the mechanism done (It is simpler) then I'll liberally cover it in marine grease. I'm thinking that every 80k or so, I'll take this thing apart and service it before it fails to reconnect.

Ok, so the next step, after cleaning and wire brushing, was to put a thick coat of marine grease all over the innards, and put it back together.

After some work to get it lined up correctly, tonight I put the motor back on, plugged it in, started it up and......It reconnected! She is now fixed, and I figure I saved about $1800 bucks! As soon as I verified the fix, a hot air balloon happened by, so a few of the kids and I went on a chase!

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

Started velcroing patch collection to the headliner! And failed at reinstalling the rear view mirror that was pulled off, epoxy didn’t take, ordered one of the specific mirror install adhesive kits hoping that works better...

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Go to a windshield repair/replace shop. Many will install them for free in about 5 min.

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

I got a couple of projects done, and pulled the trigger on the next project. I sealed the rear cargo box, reinstalled the rear swaybar. Painted and adjusted the air cleaner, then decided to buy a roof rack. Kinda nervous about that, it's a Kargo Master full basket, found it on craigslist for dirt cheap, so if I don't like it...not out much.

Attachments

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding