Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I took two of the girls to my Dad's house this weekend. We got out yesterday and rode around in the hills I grew up in and even took a little walk around a small lake they built on top of the mountain. It's nice to come home and do the things you did when you were younger.

20180331_173933.jpg

View from the hill at the top of our farm.

20180331_164307.jpg

They also got to help Dad feed a couple calves that were abandoned by their mothers.

20180401_093242.jpg

Today we headed across the mountain to have Easter dinner with my brother's in-laws. We're home now, watching Rogue One, enjoying a cold beer, and trying to track a couple lift parts that haven't arrived yet.

Sojourn Overlanding

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

New York
Member #

Priceless!!!

I took two of the girls to my Dad's house this weekend. We got out yesterday and rode around in the hills I grew up in and even took a little walk around a small lake they built on top of the mountain. It's nice to come home and do the things you did when you were younger.

They also got to help Dad feed a couple calves that were abandoned by their mothers.

Today we headed across the mountain to have Easter dinner with my brother's in-laws. We're home now, watching Rogue One, enjoying a cold beer, and trying to track a couple lift parts that haven't arrived yet.

Reactions: TerryD

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Took the dogs out to the woods with my father in law and was able to have a nice man-chat with him whilst sitting on the swing-out tray of my rig. (He has 3 daughters, including a very late 11 year old, so we never got much man time).

Then, we finally sealed my new paint!
20180401_170435-600x800.jpg

Reactions: PaulK and Hafaday
Finally got my rock sliders built and welded on this weekend. Also put my roof cargo rack mounted on with my grand son's help. He actually did most of the work once I showed him how the mounts went, all I had to do was tighten them.IMG_1147 (1).JPG IMG_1152.JPG IMG_1156 (1).JPG IMG_1158.JPG IMG_1160.JPG IMG_1159.JPG

Reactions: Edgrrr

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

My DIY rear storage box had one flaw. With all of the heavy items I put in the drawers, they would not stay shut going down the road. Drove me crazy. So I found a small piece of metal and screwed it into the center of the drawer system so that it could be turned to either keep them closed or open them. Worked perfectly.
IMG_6619.JPG
Then I had my wife help me lift the box up. I had left a small opening so that I could still get to the 110 converter on the right hand side. I went to Lowe's and purchased a flat head extension cord and installed it. Fits perfectly tucked behind my subwoofer. Perfect!
IMG_6622.JPG

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Just got back from the tire shop.
285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer A/T3 I had them remove the TPMS sensors. I don't feel like they are worth the effort right now. I may put them back in down the road but for now I'll just do without.
Before:
New Tires by TerryD, on Flickr
After:
I can tell they are quite a bit heavier than the P rated 265's and I think I might focus on finding a set of 3.69 geared axles for it. It's just a quiet inside as it was so I think for the time being, I made the right choice. While it was up, I gave it a quick once over and I'm gonna need new brake pads on the front pretty soon. Guess I'll be putting in an order with Rock Auto here after while.

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
My wife gave me a free pass on Saturday so I threw my girlfriend in the van and took her out to lunch.
IMG_2214.jpg
We went looking for some dirt roads to play on, but everything was still closed due to recent rains.
IMG_2209.jpg
We did manage to find a romantic/scenic spot to park and enjoy the view.
IMG_2195.jpg
After lunch we went for a nice walk and still had time to make it back before my wife got home......
Van and Shasta.jpg

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
My wife gave me a free pass on Saturday so I threw my girlfriend in the van and took her out to lunch.
View attachment 52819
We went looking for some dirt roads to play on, but everything was still closed due to recent rains.
View attachment 52821
We did manage to find a romantic/scenic spot to park and enjoy the view.
View attachment 52824
After lunch we went for a nice walk and still had time to make it back before my wife got home......
View attachment 52818
Looking good...Lake Elsinore I presume in the background.

Reactions: Rocky

twiget

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

On the Road
Member #

It's been an expensive week at the twiget household.

Over the summer I took a 5 week, 10,000 mile road trip from Albuquerque NM to Prudhoe Bay AK. Around 1,500 miles of that was not on pavement, and it beat the hell out of my truck's suspension. I've been out of town a lot between then and now, but it's finally time to pay the price for that road trip.

Alignment: Totally out of whack, truck pulls hard to the right
Wheels: One bent so bad it can't be balanced, lots of road rash from rock crawling
Tires: Pretty badly worn due to the alignment. One threw a belt and is causing the truck to shake at speeds >65mph
Transfer Case: Apparently I bottomed out pretty hard at some point and bent the skid plate that protects the bottom of the T-case. This caused the plate to vibrate against the bottom of the T-case and wear a hole through the bottom of the T-case. I got lucky, the tech's found the hole as they were installing my new wheels and tires.

Ouch
Butchers Bill 2.jpg

New Wheels
Butchers Bill 1.jpg

All told, it was a small price to pay for such an awesome trip. And now I know some of the weak points on my truck, so I can start addressing them.

Reactions: Road

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Why can't all vehicles have suction tubes in the oil fill cap and top mounted oil filter cartridges? Land Rover did a few silly things, like requiring 20 some odd screws to change the two air filters, but the oil change process on the AJ133 5L V8, they got right. I don't have to kneel/lay down or take of skid plates or covers. But then they forgot to put a dip stick on the motor and only have oil level sensors... *sigh*

Doing this one at around 6k miles to get the non-extended performance mobil-1 out of there and put in 5w-20 EP mobil 1. 8 friggen quarts of it. I am a bit nervous about timing chain tensioners and dirty valves (Direct injection motor) and other things, so this engine is going to start getting shorter interval changes with the good stuff. Land Rover says 15k intervals, but I will do half that or even less.

They also say to use the dealer only (more or less) synthetic from castrol that has unicorn tears in it, but Mobil-1 extended performance meets the same spec and someone educated me on how the extended performance kind is some better grade real synthetic vs the regular stuff. The dealer charges about $200 for a regular oil change too, which is even more nuts given how easy it is.