What can you personally not adventure without?

• HTML tutorial

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

A fishing rod, a mountain bike or a cell phone (for the camera). I cannot adventure without at least one of these. I prefer to have all three.

I think you're going to find that you don't need to buy expensive parts for your rig to have a good adventure. For some it's a cold beer or their best friend. For me it's an activity. :)

Crusty Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashua, New Hampshire
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Levesque
Member #

A fishing rod, a mountain bike or a cell phone (for the camera). I cannot adventure without at least one of these. I prefer to have all three.

I think you're going to find that you don't need to buy expensive parts for your rig to have a good adventure. For some it's a cold beer or their best friend. For me it's an activity. :)
Thanks! All true!

Trailpatrol

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Isanti, MN
Member #

I would agree with the "fishing rod, mountain bike, and cell phone" for the most part. Cabela's RLS fly rod with Wind River reel and Badger Tenkara rod are my take-alongs, sometimes I carry an ultra-light Daiwa spinning rod/reel as well. I also carry the (in)famous "10 Essentials." I have a Garmin eTrex 20 GPS for hiking, a Garmin Edge Explore 1000 for the bike (mostly for keeping track of rides and mileage), but rely on paper maps (USGS, DeLorme, and NatGeo) and compass for driving and on-the-ground navigation. They are always in the truck. My MTB, either my Cogburn CB4 fat bike or my Volcanic Vx7 mountain bike are almost always in the truck as well. I alternate until the snow starts falling in earnest, then it's the Cogburn until spring. Winter survival gear, multiple first aid kits (including an AED in warmer weather), tow rope, bike helmets, back-up snowshoes in winter, yada, yada, yada.
I don't like to rely on electronics, but my job provides me with a mobile hot-spot and I keep it in the truck. It doesn't work everywhere, but it's nice to have along.
I drive a '05 Dakota. Seriously considering a full-size for my next truck.

jasgwoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rocky Top, TN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Woods
Member #

Being a backpacker, I never wanted to hike in beer, but I always kept a flask or small bottle of whiskey. Perfect for hanging out by the fire after a long hike. Especially when its cold outside. Now that I'm giving overlanding a go, I'll probably not leave home without more than a few cold beers.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

My pipe (tobacco), a good book, and my eno hammock. I rarely smoke, rarely read, and rarely use my hammock. Like, almost never. But for some reason, the combination of those three things while camping just MAKES the trip for me. I try hard to turn my phone completely off, not bring any type of electronics or modern "entertainment", and to just take advantage of the peace and quiet of nature.

Crusty Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashua, New Hampshire
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Levesque
Member #

My pipe (tobacco), a good book, and my eno hammock. I rarely smoke, rarely read, and rarely use my hammock. Like, almost never. But for some reason, the combination of those three things while camping just MAKES the trip for me. I try hard to turn my phone completely off, not bring any type of electronics or modern "entertainment", and to just take advantage of the peace and quiet of nature.
I try to keep my phone off as well, the issue is I’m a photographer and I use my phone most of the time when I’m out and about exploring and playing out where my expensive DSLR could get broken easily. But it’s nice because I can go where there is only enough signal for a call or text in case of emergency. The past two nights I went out on some power line trails away from civilization and the peace and quiet was amazing after a long day of work. The sunset was amazing!
IMG_7109.JPG

Reactions: JCWages and PB&Me

Matt_S

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Austin, TX
Member #

It seems kind of like cheating, but I find for me personally I cannot adventure without my Garmin Fenix 3 watch. I get enjoyment out of being able to create a GPS track of where I've been either driving or hiking. It's nice being able to look back and be able to easily remember the turns I made along the way.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

For folks like me that use their cell phone for navigation and photos while adventuring I find it beneficial to put the phone in airplane mode when you don't need to make calls/texts nor want to receive them. You'll significantly extend battery life and GPS still works.

Reactions: Crusty Overland

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I just need my wife and a pistol for bare bones, if i want to feel comfy the list grows quickly. What your going to bring will depend on where you go, if in dry area bring lots of water, if in muddy wet area bring extra recovery gear, if up in mountains or really rocky area a good jack and spare tires are a good idea along with recovery gear. A good physical map of the area your going to be in is a good idea if your rig has a problem and battery is dead the gps stuff and phone maps wont help unless you have a solar system and its not cloudy. Back when my 88 ranger 4x4 was my adventure rig i put a 5.0 v8 in and ditched the 6cyl lifted 2 inch and put 31" tires on, ditch lights and extra jerry cans of gas. but back then i was into the pre runner baja stuff. In the end we cant tell you what you would need unless we know where you plan to go with your rig

Crusty Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashua, New Hampshire
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Levesque
Member #

I just need my wife and a pistol for bare bones, if i want to feel comfy the list grows quickly. What your going to bring will depend on where you go, if in dry area bring lots of water, if in muddy wet area bring extra recovery gear, if up in mountains or really rocky area a good jack and spare tires are a good idea along with recovery gear. A good physical map of the area your going to be in is a good idea if your rig has a problem and battery is dead the gps stuff and phone maps wont help unless you have a solar system and its not cloudy. Back when my 88 ranger 4x4 was my adventure rig i put a 5.0 v8 in and ditched the 6cyl lifted 2 inch and put 31" tires on, ditch lights and extra jerry cans of gas. but back then i was into the pre runner baja stuff. In the end we cant tell you what you would need unless we know where you plan to go with your rig
I have my personal carry weapon in my rig or on my person as well and some extra ammunition. My 98 ranger is sitting on 31’s with a 2.5in lift. If I’m going far out I carry extra Jerry cans as well. Usually two spares and a floor jack thrown in there

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

What you have is what is reccomended to travel the rubicon, so other than camping gear and food, maps recovery gear etc, sounds to me like your are ready to overland . I know the feeling of wanting to add to the rig i have to fight it every weekend. My funds are currently having to go to a metal roof on the house and its killing me.

Crusty Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashua, New Hampshire
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Levesque
Member #

What you have is what is reccomended to travel the rubicon, so other than camping gear and food, maps recovery gear etc, sounds to me like your are ready to overland . I know the feeling of wanting to add to the rig i have to fight it every weekend. My funds are currently having to go to a metal roof on the house and its killing me.
I feel your pain in the funding department. I just graduated college and am paying off my student loans. I’m actually looking at buying another truck to build at a later time. (It’s local, rare and cheap) but I still would love to buy a winch and ARB awning. Maybe a pickup bed tent as well. Currently using a ground tent or tarp to cover my truck bed. Both work but the tarp only works so well and isn’t great in the rain/wind. I’m in southern New Hampshire so we get plenty of both. The winch I think will be the next big ticket item. The goal is to eventually do a solid axle swap or coil spring on the front of the ranger for more lift for 35s but again that’s big money at the moment