What Camp Saw Do You Use? (Non-powered hand saws)

• HTML tutorial

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

My wife is an avid gardener. We have vegetable gardens, flower gardens, butterfly gardens, herb gardens, fruits, ornamental trees, etc. As you can imagine, proper tools are a big requirement for easy maintenance of all of these. She has pruners, shears, clippers, etc. And a bow saw. The bow saw was a pain to get into places, it frequently twists, and leaves a ragged edge. She needed something better, so we went on the hunt for the best hand saw we could find for a reasonable price. This is where this thread comes in.

What Camp Saw do you use for cutting fired wood, trimming branches along the trail, cutting ice, or whatever? Not axes, chain saws, hatchets, or survival knives. Just saws.

Show us what you've got!

Reactions: Mad Garden Gnome

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

After reading several reviews and watching umpteen YouTube videos showing various saws in use, we ended up with a Corona #7395 14" curved tooth pruning saw. It is sharp right out of the box, maintains an edge, has fine teeth, so it doesn't grab, but far enough apart that it doesn't hang up in thick wood. I've used it on sappy spruce and dear oak hardwood. The curved blade makes it easy to keep pressure on the cut, and the handle is mostly comfortable. The hook on the end gets tiresome after extended use, and may be problematic for people with large hands. It has a replaceable blade, so keep a spare in the tool box. There is an available scabbard for the 15" model that fits the 14" saw, but costs more than the saw itself. We keep the saw in the cardboard sleeve it shipped in.

I'm going to get a second saw to keep in the 4Runner.

Amazon link: http://amzn.to/2jyDXiB
Corona Tool's description page: http://shop.coronatoolsusa.com/rs-7395-razor-tooth-pruning-saw-14-in.html.html

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I keep a Fiskars folding saw in my truck. It normally rides in the map pocket on the back of the driver's seat, easily fits in a pocket or a day pack. I volunteer to trim boulevard trees for the city (you walk around and trim suckers, sprouts and branches within reach from the ground) and I use it instead of the ones supplied by the city and mine is still plenty sharp after many a branch trimmed.

http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Gardening-and-Yard-Care/Saws/POWER-TOOTH-Softgrip-Folding-Saw-7

Reactions: Steve

jerdog53

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Mobile Alabama
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Moran
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0ZDX
I run with a guy that carries a Silky Boy Katana that is an impressive piece of hardware and it better be for the price.

Personally I use a 21" bow saw, I see the advantage of the Katana as the throat of the bow saw limits the diameter of logs that can be cut, not a problem with the Katana...

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I've got a Silky Gomboy folding saw, but I haven't actually had an opportunity to test it yet. It's only got a 9.5" blade, so it would be tough with big stuff. Still, it's compact enough that I can keep it in the rig at all times, safely out of sight.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Silky Boy Katana
Now that's a saw! $171 on Amazon, and a replacement blade is about the same price as two of the entire Corona saws we have. Amazon link --> http://amzn.to/2jVBnUI

@Shizzy She has a folding Fiskars similar to yours, but without the soft handle. We liked the more rigid fixed blade for everyday use, but I can see how the folder is more compact. She'd love doing your community trimming thing. Anytime we walk around a historic site or public garden, I turn around and she's gone. I backtrack and find her weeding...

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Now that's a saw! $171 on Amazon, and a replacement blade is about the same price as two of the entire Corona saws we have. Amazon link --> http://amzn.to/2jVBnUI

@Shizzy She has a folding Fiskars similar to yours, but without the soft handle. We liked the more rigid fixed blade for everyday use, but I can see how the folder is more compact. She'd love doing your community trimming thing. Anytime we walk around a historic site or public garden, I turn around and she's gone. I backtrack and find her weeding...
The folding part of it is what I like most.

We are in the middle of an emerald ash borer situation, so, the city is relying on a volunteer force to handle the basic stuff and reporting of dead damaged trees. Something about 250,000 trees on city property and a total of 74 employees responsible for them.

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

I have a hardware store D saw with a good Norway made blade. It and a Gerber hatchet are always handy.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I picked up a bahco saw just recently, came with a pretty decent knife. Plan to make use of it this weekend. Also bringing my recently restored axe (it was a hunk of rust) and my little forest axe.

Dunco

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX
Always have my trusty old Silky these things are awesome by far my favorite saw after the stihl anywyas lol and its in OB yellow bonus

16832070_10212375631004623_208150410626821602_n.jpg

raundhaus

Rank III

Advocate II

I have an ancient "woodzig" wood handled saw. I love it. The teeth are not pointed like most so it does not get caught on everything, but it cuts wood like butter. In trying to search for a replacement (in case this one bites the dust, since I love it) it seems like Fiskars bought the name, but hasn't necessarily kept up the style. Hopefully this image goes through. If you ever see a saw like this, GET IT. I honestly carry my chainsaw less when I know I have this thing on board. 7212357070_76195ea2cf.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using OB Talk mobile app

raundhaus

Rank III

Advocate II

I have an ancient "woodzig" wood handled saw. I love it. The teeth are not pointed like most so it does not get caught on everything, but it cuts wood like butter. In trying to search for a replacement (in case this one bites the dust, since I love it) it seems like Fiskars bought the name, but hasn't necessarily kept up the style. Hopefully this image goes through. If you ever see a saw like this, GET IT. I honestly carry my chainsaw less when I know I have this thing on board. View attachment 17321

Well I feel dumb. Just searched "fiskars saw blade replacement" in Amazon and up popped results for this style of blade. Guess they do make them which is good news for me, and for all of you, if you take my advice and get this style blade [emoji1]
For credibility, I was a full time landscaper for 3yr, during which time I used Corona and Stihl saws regularly. The Fiskars style saw teeth make the work infinitely easier. Very smooth strokes through the wood you would not believe are taking as much out as it is. Never gets caught in wood or pants like the "spikier" styled teeth on the other brands.

krax

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

NC
Member #

I've got a cheap bow saw that sees a fair bit of use (east coast). I've cleared some pretty large trees with just the bow saw, a tow strap, and physics to the point that I can't justify carrying my chainsaw around. One day it'll be replaced by a Silky Katanaboy, but it's not that high on The List.