What are you using to mapping your journey and navigating your route?

• HTML tutorial

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Lowrance made it easy to permanently mount their GPS. I really like using them out on the trails.

I live in CA and I've had my GPS sitting on the dash for more than a decade, and I've had my fair share of speeding tickets, and not once has an officer given me any flack over it. And it's not small, and I always have the bright white cover on the screen so I know it has been noticed. I wouldn't worry about it.
This helps - I guess it's like a lot of laws around the world, not enforced until you do something inappropriate, at which point every infraction is enforced (or perhaps I'm out of date with the requirement).

A question - if you have the GPS unit permanently mounted, how can you take it on a trail?

So, I found a couple of photos - the first is how we had the GPS unit set up in Africa - you can see the cable trailing over the dash. The unit was mounted on a Garmin "sandbag" support, which meant that it tended to slide about in more extreme conditions. The second is how it's set up now, on the modified GoPro mount - there's a permanent cable running inside the dash with a short lead which comes out below the windscreen - no loose cables. We have a separate cable for when we connect to the laptop for downloads etc. Much cleaner and more secure, while retaining the means to disconnect when
needed. Not very good photos, I'm afraid.

UnOchoenAfrica 2017 - 1 of 1.jpegAustralia general - 1 of 1.jpeg

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
This helps - I guess it's like a lot of laws around the world, not enforced until you do something inappropriate, at which point every infraction is enforced (or perhaps I'm out of date with the requirement).

A question - if you have the GPS unit permanently mounted, how can you take it on a trail?

So, I found a couple of photos - the first is how we had the GPS unit set up in Africa - you can see the cable trailing over the dash. The unit was mounted on a Garmin "sandbag" support, which meant that it tended to slide about in more extreme conditions. The second is how it's set up now, on the modified GoPro mount - there's a permanent cable running inside the dash with a short lead which comes out below the windscreen - no loose cables. We have a separate cable for when we connect to the laptop for downloads etc. Much cleaner and more secure, while retaining the means to disconnect when
needed. Not very good photos, I'm afraid.

View attachment 179824View attachment 179825

When out of my truck I have a Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx (just an older generation of what you have there). I also have an old cell phone I use as a dedicated GPS. Either will do the job.

Let me add that my old cell phone is the main GPS on my dual sport motorcycle and the Garmin serves as backup there, also.

Last edited:

Ursa Major

Rank VI

Influencer I

Woodstock, Vermont, United States
First Name
Gunnar
Last Name
Nourse
Member #

Now, I saw a quick mention of it, but has anyone else tried the oXnX Offroad app? I currently use the onX Hunt app and really like the features it has to offer, and was more curious if there are different enough features for it. I'm weird that way and don't want to have to download and navigate a ton of different apps.

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

This is more curiosity than a question, wondering what is used for mapping your journey and navigating your route?

I use three different applications; on my phone, I have the free version of Gaia GPS and of course google maps. In my vehicle, I have a Garmin Nuvi 50LM Navigator and a handheld Garmin 64s with vehicle mount. I also use the 64s for kayaking and hiking. Plus, I always have paper maps. I do try to plan my trips well in advance, on an international trip I study maps for up to 6 months so I have an image in my head, you never know…Ok, I know, I’m a Maphead!
With the exception of cross country travel for work, where I like to plan my road trips for weeks, when it comes to camping / weekend trips I just toss the pups in the SUV on a last minute weekend getaway. With my new rig I will use my Mac Pro mounted on a laptop stand for a Paid Version of Gia Maps, and I have U-Connect Navigation.

Reactions: Ursa Major

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
Now, I saw a quick mention of it, but has anyone else tried the oXnX Offroad app? I currently use the onX Hunt app and really like the features it has to offer, and was more curious if there are different enough features for it. I'm weird that way and don't want to have to download and navigate a ton of different apps.
I’m not keen on subscribing to a GPS mapping service so I have not tried it myself but I hear it’s pretty good. I plan on getting out more this year so I may just bite the bullet and give it a try.

Pathkiller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Effingham, South Carolina, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
Our primary off-road navigation is Gaia GPS Premium on a iPad Air Pro.
We use Google Maps for getting to the trailheads and finding supplies & fuel.
Our jeep has built-in navigation. But, we mostly use it for recording tracks when we're out exploring. We also record tracks on the iPad via GAIA. (Which is extremely useful when you have to backtrack and get around a locked gate.)
We also have a couple of Garmin mobile units (as redundancy) and a hand held Garmin for hiking that backs up GAIA on our cell phones.
We usually have a paper atlas as well.

As far as route planning, we start with Google maps to get us to the next trailhead. (Then, we print the turn-by-turn directions out.)
Then, we record our desired "trail" routes, campsites, fishing & hiking locations and other waypoints out on the iPad via GAIA and download all the pertinent maps we need to use offline.

For those who haven't stepped up to GAIA Premium, you are really missing out on the multitude of useful maps & feature GAIA has to offer. The USFS Roads, MVUM and Off-road trails maps are easily worth the price of the subscription. But, you have a HUGE amount of other useful maps and features (IE; satellite imagery, weather radar, precipitation, public lands, cell coverage maps, etc.) with the premium subscription. GAIA really does a great job at keeping things relevant and current as well.

Last edited:

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

I just upgraded my UConnect to 4G wireless package by Sprint on Christmas Eve as a Christmas gift to myself. Unlimited WiFi.

Reactions: Ursa Major

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

I just singed up for the premium package, haven’t really had much time to dive into it. I’m going to install a laptop stand in the Ram, so I’ll use the web based UI to plan out the trips.

Wranglervirus

Local Expert North/East Europe

Advocate III

Žuvų gatvė 9-2, Šakiai, 47412 Lithuania
First Name
Tomas
Last Name
Karlonas
Member #

This is more curiosity than a question, wondering what is used for mapping your journey and navigating your route?

I use GAIA but i finde not all routes are availablenon the map in my region, it might be i will swish to garmin overlander
I use three different applications; on my phone, I have the free version of Gaia GPS and of course google maps. In my vehicle, I have a Garmin Nuvi 50LM Navigator and a handheld Garmin 64s with vehicle mount. I also use the 64s for kayaking and hiking. Plus, I always have paper maps. I do try to plan my trips well in advance, on an international trip I study maps for up to 6 months so I have an image in my head, you never know…Ok, I know, I’m a Maphead!

UAZ-Boris

Rank I

Enthusiast I

The Netherlands
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Weetikveel
When out of my truck I have a Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx (just an older generation of what you have there). I also have an old cell phone I use as a dedicated GPS. Either will do the job.

Let me add that my old cell phone is the main GPS on my dual sport motorcycle and the Garmin serves as backup there, also.

Cool! I also have a GPSmap 60Cx. But haven't touched it since years. Are you still able to upload maps to it some how?

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
I haven’t tried in a couple years but I still have the old Garmin software so I don’t see why I couldn’t. The last time I uploaded maps it covered the majority of the places I ride.