What are you using for a fridge/freezer.

• HTML tutorial

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Here is one loaded, and one I took the other day after I started cleaning, testing, and re-packing... There are a few other pictures in the build thread in my sig. If you want any specifics feel free to let me know.
Thanks for the pics. I did see your build thread before, nice work. I already have a drawer system I built but looking to do a drop slide for my fridge.

Maxterra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

Bought an ARB50 after Christmas. Gotta build a slide for it. Already have the arb tie down straps and HD plug.
Dual battery/ Luna control system with odyssey batteries this spring.

Reactions: HudsonZRoamer

p38

Rank II
Launch Member

Member III

Maxterra,

Which odyssey batteries are you going to use? I'm also doing the Luna dual setup.

g

ethernectar

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA
Member #

ARB 50 running off a National Luna battery pack. Have had the ARB for maybe 7 years and the NL pack for about 5. No hiccups. That setup just stays in my Tundra (daily driver), always nice to kick that on even for a day trip.

When I get ready for a trip I'll plug the pack into a Battery Tender to top off the deep cycle and plug the fridge into an extension cord in the garage.

Comanche

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Goodyear, Arizona
Member #

I have wanted a fridge for a long time. I always had ARB a the top of my gear list, but they're quite expensive. I just bought a Dometic CFX40US for almost half of what the ARB cost. It really came in handy at my nieces birthday picnic at the lake. We kept drinks and ice cream in it at the table powered by a Stanley Fatmax 900 amp jump starter box.
I would like to add a duel battery system next.

rmerron

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Scottsboro, Alabama, USA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Peters
Member #

I have an ARB 48 that we have had for 10 years. We use it weekly for normal life and on our trips. Just bought a SNO Master D60. Has a separate freezer from the fridge area. We have not used it yet but it's plugged in and working. Saw them at Expo East, company is out of SA and was a value compared to National Luna. We will see.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Picked up an Edgestar 40 quart. Ran it for a week in the desert off of two AGM batteries and a 100W solar system. Worked great.

Travis Barker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Antonio
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Barker
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Looking at getting a Fridge/Freezer. Been looking at alot of reviews out there. Just looking to see what everyone is running and their thoughts on their choice.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I am running an arb 50qt.. The ONLY reason for that is that I got it for less than half the price of a new edgestar in the same size. That being said I have had issues with the fridge not holding temp mostly due to low batteries. I am going to start running the fridge off of its own dedicated battery shortly to hopefully relieve that issue. Of I had it to do over again, I'd go with the truckfridge.com stuff, or Intel b or edgestar.

Reactions: Travis Barker

Travis Barker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Antonio
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Barker
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I am running an arb 50qt.. The ONLY reason for that is that I got it for less than half the price of a new edgestar in the same size. That being said I have had issues with the fridge not holding temp mostly due to low batteries. I am going to start running the fridge off of its own dedicated battery shortly to hopefully relieve that issue. Of I had it to do over again, I'd go with the truckfridge.com stuff, or Intel b or edgestar.
Thanks for the input. I haven't looked at edgestar or truckfridge yet.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Can one assume this is from only having one battery on the truck and not running the truck engine for a couple of days and the fridge shutting off? With proper battery capacity, the ARB would function fine?

Why would you choose the other brands if you could do it again?

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Can one assume this is from only having one battery on the truck and not running the truck engine for a couple of days and the fridge shutting off? With proper battery capacity, the ARB would function fine?

Why would you choose the other brands if you could do it again?
My truck has dual batteries, and I have the arb setup directly off of the aux battery. The issue only happens after about 3 to4 days of the fridge being plugged in without running the truck. I will also admit that the fridge is not in ideal conditions as I do not have the transit bag that is supposed to help with cooking and the fridge sits in the cab of the truck where temps can get hit causing the fridge to run more often. I have alleviated the low battery issue by purchasing a 100 watt solar panel to hop to the aux battery when I am out for more than 2 days. The issue is I tend to forget to pack it when I go out for The weekend, which is completely my fault. The biggest struggle I have is that my truck relies on both batteries to fire up the truck. The Cummins motor is a big beast to fire up. I have not been victim to a no start issue yet, but I carry an xp10 jump starter pack in the truck just in case it does happen. The bateries are only about a year old and they test fine every time I test them. Don't get me wrong, I Love The arb it's just this occasional mystery issue that's my gripe but it may not be the fridges fault.

My only reason behind choosing another brand of I had to do it again is strictly price. An edgestar or truck fridge are about half the cost of an arb and from what I have seen from friends that own them, they work just as well. I think a lot of what you are paying for with the arb is the name.

Njtraveler

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Hackensack, NJ
Member #

I have a national luna 60 split. I can make them both a fridge or one a freezer. I do like it. A friend has a domestic and being 35% percent the cost is alluring. We did a little test in turning it off and leaving them in direct sun to see which one warmed up faster. The domestic held 2 degrees better over an hour, but once turned back on. Got to 35 in about 25% more time compared to my national luna. I suspect it's more about the placement of the internal thermometer.

Travis Barker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Antonio
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Barker
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I have looked at the dometic and national Luna and I have a friend that has a dometic. He loves his and the price point on the dometic is nice. Think I am leaning towards the dometic but still looking at all the options. Thank everyone for you putting your info in. It's helps a lot

Njtraveler

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Hackensack, NJ
Member #

I suppose my last comment is the dometic seems to take up more room. Like it's more bubbly, that's a very technical description. Maybe it's all the molded plastic which yields more insulation? I don't think so. But again, that price!!!!!!