What are the absolute best mud tires?

• HTML tutorial

JMY24

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Huntsville, AL/Dahlonega, GA
Member #

I'm running 33" Firestone Destination MTs! I rarely ever spin them, I air down and crawl as to not destroy the land, however, the grip and grab on to everything. The road mannerisms ARE slightly worse than an AT of course but I am very happy with them!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Joel 11k

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I'm running Goodrich All Terrains right now which are ok in dry conditions but they pack up and spin immediately in mud.
Mud only or do you need to drive on road to the mud? I think the best all around mud tire would be the KM2 but had good success with the Dick Cepek Extreme Counrty.

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

I'm running 35" Goodyear MTR's, They perform quite well on all surfaces at about 12 psi. I also have a set of 33" swamper TSL's on bead locks, running about 6 psi, for when it's really messy. Other people I know are running KM2's and other versions of swampers, all perform well at the correct pressure. You need to decide on a compromise on road manners/road time and types of trails/roads you run. Good luck, Ron

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Hands Down....TOYO MT's

Name another MT that can go 40,000+ miles on a diesel rig that weighs 9000#, AND a 4080# rating per tire, WITH a bunch of metric sizes.
I run 285/75-18's, basically a 35 x 11.50. Yes, they are a few bucks more, but you get what you pay for.

RedSheep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member I

Harpersfield, NY
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Oakley
Member #

Best mud tire .. mud only ... look at what the hardcore mud bog trucks run .. custom cut tsl's or bogger, agricultural tires, etc ... not saying any of these are very friendly on road (and some aren't even street legal) but are virtually indestructible (other then road wear) and the will sling tons of mud all day long (especially if you've got the motor/drive-train to really spin them, or don't care about you truck feeling way underpowered) and most aren't to bad in the rocks either (thou many being biased ply you need to really air down, if you have a light <5Klbs rig ... I go about 5psi on My xterra)

Want something a bit more normal and a little more enjoyable for daily driving then the fields wide open pick whatever reputable/quality brand you like most; they all seem to make some form of mud tire. .

Best two all around mud/trail tires I've run where swapper SSR's (dam things would stick to and climb anything) and the old style Goodyear MTR (traded a bit of offroad performance for bit better street manners and tread life)

PS. here is a shot of My 35" boggers (running them in revers rotation mounded in on the rear only) and how I cut the TSL's

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Joel 11k and TreyJK

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Best streetable mud tires I've used. Interco TSL Boggers. I had 33's on my K5 and crawled them as well as ran 65mph on the highway bead balanced. Smooth running @40psi but short tread life I'd imagine and impossibly loud. No way I'd run them on a DD.

Good sets I've considered for my Xterra:
KM2's as recommended by a friend with a farm contracting business who uses them as well as KO2s on his trucks (runs TSLs on his crawler). He said he'd gladly run both but felt that the KO2s are more street friendly and has run them exclusively for a few years now.
Trxus M/T from Interco, used by a friend on his 4Runner for years and I was always impressed with how they went, not sure about noise levels though, but I'd imagine they probably make a bit of racket.
I also started looking at the Mastercraft Courser M/T after my Dad picked up a pair for the back of his farm Cherokee and they balanced easily, with minimum weight and are quieter than the General Grabber AT3's I had on my Cherokee a few years ago. They are also about 2/3's the price of the KM2s in the same size.

All anecdotal evidence based on person theory and experience. The ground here is mostly red clay and it snows some so I can't vouch for sand performance and I try to avoid mud deeper than my side walls when possible.

RedSheep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member I

Harpersfield, NY
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Oakley
Member #

Not sure what your build specs are, but another quick thought ... Lockers ... while they might be pricey, they ARE worth every penny and can work to maximize the abilities of whatever tires you run.

Joel 11k

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Seal Rock, Lincoln County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy
Good advice thanks, I have lockers in front and a limited slip in rear, but have not had to use the lockers yet! I went with firestone m/t's because they were rated for the weight of my rig, they worked great in Mojave but it was not nearly as muddy as we thought it would be. I,will head up to snow this weekend so will let you know how they do

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Toyo MTs. Great on the road, 40k + miles on a diesel truck, unstoppable off-road!

KTM GRIZZLY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Apache Junction, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Girard
Member #

The new general x3 grabbers 20170611_115758.jpghave to say they are fantastic tires! Several off road trips performed excellent no tread chunking like you get from BFG mud terrains or all-terrains tires still look brand-new after four months with a 61 mile round-trip commute to work everyday! Tire performs extremely well! I also do proper alignment air pressure and tire rotation three number one key things to making your tires last!

Reactions: gtomike

timberwolf_120

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ridgecrest, CA
Member #

The new general x3 grabbers View attachment 31703have to say they are fantastic tires! Several off road trips performed excellent no tread chunking like you get from BFG mud terrains or all-terrains tires still look brand-new after four months with a 61 mile round-trip commute to work everyday! Tire performs extremely well! I also do proper alignment air pressure and tire rotation three number one key things to making your tires last!
I will second this. I've had them on for about 8k miles so far and have wheeled in various terrains from the mountains of Washington to Moab Utah and pretty much everything in between. They do wonders in soft sand like dunes and hook up on rocks great. Absolutely love them. I'll be getting another set for sure. But like I said I have 8k miles on em (mostly road too) and they are only down 2/32s. Plus they are very quiet for a mud terrain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Reactions: KTM GRIZZLY

gtomike

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Milford,MA
Member #

I have Cooper STT Pros on my Power Wagon with 35k on them.I figure they've got another 5k in them before replacing them.
They are wearing evenly and were fairly quiet when newer,but they're getting very loud now.
Not sure if I'll get another set,or get Toyos

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
I am running 33" Copper STT Pros...I can say these tires have taken me everywhere and they are really quiet on the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

So many choices, but so much good information here. Thanks for all the advice!

I missed any mention of the Duratracs. How do they compare against some of the others mentioned here? Anyone have any experience with them they would be willing to share?