First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Poor OP.
All he asked was an opinion on air cleaners. That's the problem with our hobby. You really need to understand basic mechanical and electric engineering to get past the advertising and hype on vehicle mod's.

At least we didn't go into the benefits of a snorkel. It is part of an air cleaner assembly.

DBs

Rank 0

Traveler I

Look for high quality non-reusable filters.
Fine dust with high quartz % (silt) is what kills your engine.
Silt+oil (your engine oil..)=grinding paste to your engine’s internals.
Reusable filters are just not filtering good enough.
“High flow” filters in the original filter house equals to less filtration.
There is no way to get around more air if you don’t let more dirt in your engine.
The other way is a snorkel and pre-cleaner.
Most cars and trucks breath from headlight height.
That’s exactly the height that most soil particles rise to the air.

Yes.. clean air cost.

Check the test results in the link, you see that reusable filters comes last in every category.

ISO 5011 Duramax Air Filter Test Report

Last edited:

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Poor OP.
All he asked was an opinion on air cleaners. That's the problem with our hobby. You really need to understand basic mechanical and electric engineering to get past the advertising and hype on vehicle mod's.

At least we didn't go into the benefits of a snorkel. It is part of an air cleaner assembly.
Oh don’t feel sorry for me. I have always been aware of the unfounded hype of many products, I am not a noob to the automotive world. I have built from the ground up a few motors, restored a couple cars, and put a couple hundred thousand miles combined a a few bikes.

I always knew that paper was supreme. I posed the original question looking for more of the system that the masses were using. And it seems like having a few paper filters to swap between is the best method. I will just have to make room for the shoebox size filter that my truck runs stock.

I did learn a few thing through this discussion, and I am very thankful to all that have contributed to this thread......

So, about those snorkels?.........

Reactions: smritte

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
So, about those snorkels?.........
HEH
In a nut shell. Above the heavier particles, Increased air velocity at speeds which means slight air temp drop (wind chill). This can improve efficiency (10 degree =1%). Will you notice a fuel mileage difference? No idea but, you should notice some. I've never tested one but I would add one on if I didnt have to cut a hole in my fender

DBs

Rank 0

Traveler I

I have a snorkel mainly to reduce dust.
No change in fuel consumption.
I defiantly see the positive difference in less dirt on the filter and air box.

As mentioned, at about normal intake height of most trucks you meet all the size particles, and as you go higher, less of them=less dirt to accumulate on the air filter=longer life cycle.