What’s the difference between ‘4-wheel drive’ and ‘all-wheel drive?’

• HTML tutorial

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I had the Qaudra-Trac II in my WJ, it got me in and out of some very intense situations. It was considered "4wd" but IMO since you cannot take it out then it should have been classified as AWD but who knows...lol

Iubootgater

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Greenwood IN
Member #

I'm going to have to watch this one, waiting to see some brand loyalty debates about better all/4 wheel systems come out!
Not that I would ever instigate any friendly debat.....

HangryMachinist

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hollister
Member #

I would love to see Video with many rigs doing the same things so we can see how each one handles the obstacles. I would volunteer my WJ.

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

I love my Quadra-Drive, but the Eaton mechanical locker in my Colorado was pretty great too. Pair that with the electronic front locker in Hummer H3's and I think you'd have some stiff competition. I do wish my Quadra-Drive had a 2wd option. I'm averaging 14mpg, rarely do I beat 18mpg on the freeway unless it's down hill. My Xterra with larger tires averaged 18mpg for comparison.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

That's one of the major factors as to why I have two of them... Combined with the fact that the KL is at a level of comfort that my old WK, and my current XK can't hope to match on the road.

The "default" state with the Active Drive system is FWD, and engages power to the rear when you tell it to, or when it's computer brain things it should. It's an impressive system.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I would love to see some comparisons as well and would volunteer my truck for comparison.

HudsonZRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington, USA
First Name
Harley
Last Name
W
Member #

Not AWD systems are made the same. Subarus are AWD but some of the Australian models have a 4low option but unfortunately are not sold in the US. The newer Forester models come standard with XMode.
Xmode:
  • X-Mode uses lower gear ratios to generate extra power at the wheels that have grip;
  • X-Mode deactivates the transmission's lock-up clutch to better direct power to slipping wheels;
  • X-Mode makes the traction control system extra sensitive so that it intervenes earlier during wheel slippage;
  • X-Mode employs "Hill Descent Control" so you don't need to apply brakes and risk locking them up when headed down steep slopes.
Every time I go offroading people are utterly blown away by what a Subaru is capable of. With that being said, I wish I had 4 low haha

Here is a video of me going through some hairy stuff. My friend was in a huge lifted jeep behind me and was even nervous about this section of the trail. I was trail lead and needless to say quite nervous in this section. To the right is a sheer mountain drop-off about 4,000 feet. Videos never do anything justice.. pardon the cheesy commentary

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

"Can you do that?" - Awesome!

I've always liked Subaru. I fell in love with them when I lived in Okinawa. Granted, that was for entirely different reasons :innocent: