What’s the best way to stay warm in my rooftop tent?

• HTML tutorial

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

A bag rated 20 deg colder than what you will be sleeping in ( bag ratings are survival ratings not comfort ) fleece or other warm blanket under you and another one for tossing over you . Good thermals , thick socks , sleep with thin gloves on and wear a Beeni . If you keep your extremities warm the rest of your body will stay warmer .

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Good sleeping bag and some extra blankets as noted. I am north of you in BC, a small battery operated fan to pull air out really helps with condensation.

If you are looking for heat the chinese diseal heaters work very well - but you then need a battery to run it. A Jackery 240 will run mine, BUT I only use it when I need to be in the tent early to warm up so I can read. And then early in the am so I can dress in a nice warm space.

Reactions: Viking1204

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Besides the warm sleeping bags, high insulating mattress and fat dogs, there's another option that makes your tent actually warm...
Chinese air heaters!
Especially if you drive a diesel because you don't need to bring a different fuel.
We have a thread somewhere in the forum but don't hesitate to ask.

Reactions: Outdoordog

Eee Man

Rank II
Investor

Enthusiast I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7WIH
Bring and sleep with your significant other. I've heard that 12v electric blankets are available and work very well also if you have a suitable power source.

Alenboyd3

Rank 0

Contributor I

Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Alen
Last Name
Boyd
I came across this forum a couple of days ago and it made me curious if there were any heated tents out there so far I've only found one brand that claims to have a heated RTT. This is their website Alpine Heated Tent. Other than that I can't find any other brands doing something like that. I'm curious to see if you guys can find anything else.

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
If your RTT has a fly...ditch it. Usually cold temps are a result of clear skies, so soak up all the solar heat you can. Also...tuck in a blanket on the alum. supports once you’re inside. Crack the windows just enough for air flow. And like everyone is mentioning...a good fart sack ;-)

You'll be snug as a bug...until you rise and shine

Reactions: Viking1204

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

In my RTT I use a -20 bag and ive woken up to icicles on the outside of the sleeping bag. I got my bag from cabelas.

Last edited:

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I came across this forum a couple of days ago and it made me curious if there were any heated tents out there so far I've only found one brand that claims to have a heated RTT. This is their website Alpine Heated Tent. Other than that I can't find any other brands doing something like that. I'm curious to see if you guys can find anything else.

150 Amp-Hours over 6 hours is 300 Watts of electrical power. I have a small heating pad, the kind you put on your back, that uses almost 50 Watts. My guess is they put a heating pad under the mattress, though I wonder if it will really do much good. Perhaps it just comes with an electric blanket.

Last edited:
Reactions: rgallant

Contributor I

Bend, Oregon, USA
First Name
Bailey
Last Name
Elliott

150 Amp-Hours over 6 hours is 25 Watts of electrical power. I have a small heating pad, the kind you put on your back, that uses almost 50 Watts. My guess is they put a heating pad under the mattress, though I wonder if it will really do much good. Perhaps it just comes with an electric blanket.
I actually just looked into this, they have an AI bot on their website. They use a 12v 300 watt heating element. Honestly sounds like something that’d solve my issue…

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
I suspect they used something similar to one of these 12 Volt Heating Blanket and 12v Heater or a 12 volt heated mattress pad. They are mostly used in the trucking industry but mostly like a heating blanket to keep you warm while sleeping. I have my doubts but keeping warm if you need to be in the tent due to weather but awake

Reactions: madcratebuilder

Contributor I

Bend, Oregon, USA
First Name
Bailey
Last Name
Elliott
I suspect they used something similar to one of these 12 Volt Heating Blanket and 12v Heater or a 12 volt heated mattress pad. They are mostly used in the trucking industry but mostly like a heating blanket to keep you warm while sleeping. I have my doubts but keeping warm if you need to be in the tent due to weather but awake
Well I just ordered one! It says it’ll ship out in 45 days, I’ll keep y’all updated if it’s actually worth buying. Worst case scenario I just return it.

Reactions: Gorunhannah