What’s the best rear tire carrier rack for the buck?

• HTML tutorial

Burly

Rank VIII

Protector III

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Carter
Last Name
Burlison
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7LHB
Service Branch
Navy
I’ve been doing some research and lately all I’ve been able to find is racks that are either really high quality but will take a small loan to purchase… or racks that are fairly inexpensive but one trail can rip it right off… suggestions?

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I’ve been doing some research and lately all I’ve been able to find is racks that are either really high quality but will take a small loan to purchase… or racks that are fairly inexpensive but one trail can rip it right off… suggestions?
Carter, we are right in the middle of the same thing on our new to us JKU, for the TJ, Smittybilt, Rugged Ridge, Rampage, and Barricade (Extreme Terrain) have some budget minded ones. Poison Spyder, DV8 & Warn make ones a step up that are a bit more.

For me I want one that does not Rattle, and provided easy day to day access to the rear of the jeep, I prefer a latch over removable pins.

Another option if you have access to a welder is to buy a kit with the latch, bearing and tire plate, then purchase some steel and build one. of course that takes time lol, still have the parts I bought for my WJ carrier that I have not had time to fabricate...

Reactions: Shahn

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I run the cheapest bumber/carrier that Smittybilt makes. I expected it to last a few years and I would replace it.... 8 years later its still going strong. I run a 37 on it with a spacer and adapter to 5 on 5 bolt pattern. also added a bump stop to the tailgate to give a constant pressure on the carrier to keep the rattle down. I am even surprised that the paint on it is holding up as well as it is. anywhere I haven't rubbed it off on rocks is still firmly attached and its not rusting at all.
Best bang for the buck in my books.
125254685_3736388406425910_5863081020789327031_n.jpg

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I'm in the process of making my own carrier. I wanted to retain the original bumper on my 89 XJ and be able to install and remove the carrier quickly and easily. I built it so I will be able to tow my trailer with it in place. It's pinned to the tongue but it's also held firmly in place by a tightening wedge (same as RIGD carriers). There's a bit of cutting, gusseting, welding, etc. to do and paint. I won't powder coat it because I'm bound to make a few modifications later. I'm also fabricating a folding table for the gap between the carrier and the tailgate.

I never really considered buying one, partly because of the cost but more because I wanted to have one that is custom for my vehicle.

22-02-10 1.JPG22-02-10 10.JPG22-02-10 12.JPG

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

It all depends on what you want/need. Will you be running larger tires that won’t fit on the standard carrier and perhaps require reinforcement for your tailgate door? I had purchased the tire carrier from Rusty’s Off Road. It may seem expensive at $780 but if you are running larger tires you will may end up getting door reinforcements, new tire brackets and needing new rear brake lights brackets or replacement lights and/or rear camera relocation brackets and/or license plate relocation brackets, etc. etc. etc. when you add it all up it comes to pretty much the same total. The Rusty’s tire carrier solution took care of all of that and it is very stout and can handle up to 40” tires solidly if I ever need that in the future.

Reactions: Burly