What’s a good platform? Jeep Comanche or J series?

• HTML tutorial

Ol' Scrapiron

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Cincinnati
Member #

I’m looking at building a rig for overlanding but I’m between two choices on platforms the Jeep Comanche or the Jeep J series of trucks. I like the look of both and I’m dead set on one of these two trucks

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I own an '88 Comanche Eliminator. It's 2WD truck so not the best for a vehicle to build up for overlanding. Converting them to 4WD with parts from a Cherokee XJ is pretty straight forward though. If you're not already familiar with it, a good source of MJ info is the Comanche Club … Comanche Club Forums and here's a good example of a nicely built overlanding vehicle … The Golden Eagle MJ

I'm not that familiar with J series Jeeps but they are a much more heavy duty vehicle … they're a TRUCK!

I have an XJ too and there is a lot of after market support for them. Given that they share so much with the MJ's I'd have to say that that's they way I'd go.

Last edited:

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Either one. Both are going to be semi difficult to come across clean non rusted examples depending on where you live. Unlike the XJ which had nearly 3 million examples built the MJ only had 270ish thousand built over it's short run and less than half of those were 4WD examples. Not sure how much you really know about them but they're basically XJs from the back of the cab forward with a unibody and they have a truck frame integrated into the unibody for the bed. They share a lot of parts with the XJs so parts availability is pretty nice nationwide. There's decent sized online communities.

Out of the 2 options you listed I'd go with the MJ even though you'd lose space over the J series truck. Parts and aftermarket support is better and you should net better fuel mileage as well.

Reactions: Ol' Scrapiron

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I will reiterate what has already been said: You will have much better aftermarket options for a Comanche than a J-series. If you go to build a J-series you are looking at lots of custom fab work.

Now, if time and money are not issues, you need to compare the structure of the two vehicles to the purpose you have in mind. Since the J-series has a real frame it is capable of being built to handle more than the Comanche. How big do you want to go? And how much weight are you looking to carry?

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Overland rig can mean something very different to every person. What are your plans and intended uses for the truck? How much fab experience do you have?

Me? I prefer compact vehicles. A J series truck would be way overkill for my use and it would be quite large. Don't forget the MJ has the possibility of carrying 2,200lbs of payload with a fully boxed unibody 'frame' and most parts are easily attainable...just make sure the one you buy has a good set of taillights!

Even the rotted MJ can be fun and take you places. My roached out '86 sure got a lot of interesting comments from the Telluride hikers as I came down Back Bear Pass...
IMAG0032_1.JPG

The MJ's biggest downfall, other than rust and a few unobtaium parts, is the cab size. It is small. Real small.

Last edited:
Reactions: Downs and PCO6