First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
and dry for that matter.....

I carry in my BOB and in my jeep magnesium shavings, let me tell you this stuff burns HOT and works in rain or shine. Was camping in pouring down rain, wood wet, paper wet, wife wet (and cold) and I whip out my shavings and light them up, BAM! fire going and burned all night (dried the wood as it burned), now was a bit smokey as the wood was wet but pretty darn nice and the wife thinks I am a genius! LOL

Pick up the shavings cheap on the bay: magnesium shavings | eBay

Jim

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Cool, just ordered 6 bags to try it out. I always want a fire no matter the weather conditions, I can sit by the fire watching it burn for hours! I also picked up some fatwood sticks in Helen that should be helpful in starting fires too! Your story gave me an idea too, wouldn't be that hard to build a fire pit rain guard. Just need a piece of metal roofing about 2 foot square you couldn't mount on some poles a few feet above the fire!

IceIceBaby42

Rank VII

World Traveler I

Santa Clara, Santa Clara County, California, United States
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Jones
Member #

and dry for that matter.....

I carry in my BOB and in my jeep magnesium shavings, let me tell you this stuff burns HOT and works in rain or shine. Was camping in pouring down rain, wood wet, paper wet, wife wet (and cold) and I whip out my shavings and light them up, BAM! fire going and burned all night (dried the wood as it burned), now was a bit smokey as the wood was wet but pretty darn nice and the wife thinks I am a genius! LOL

Pick up the shavings cheap on the bay: magnesium shavings | eBay

Jim
Thanks for the post. I will be picking some of these up.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

when choosing a place to store it remember it ignites easily and burns incredibly hot... and starts real easy.
you can also buy it as a solid block, file off a bit, and use sparks from a flint to start.
that is a safer choice.

Crusader

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Texas
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Wilcox
Service Branch
USAF
Hand sanitizer will start a fire in a pinch. We all have plenty of that.

Reactions: KAIONE

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Magnesium shavings shaven onto vaseline on a cotton ball or other tinder base helps keep the shavings in one place for odd angles and WIND. And creates that much of a better starter for your bundle or kindling.

dchurch

Rank III

Advocate I

Oregon, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Church
We heat with wood and use Kingfords fluid at home and camping. I haven't used kindling in about 30 years, except once in a while for nostalgia. It's also handy for cleaning off tree sap or road tar...

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We carry gel-wax cotton balls: simple to make, waterproof, long lasting, and not easily ignited unintentionally. Simply dip cotton balls into melted gel-wax and let dry, the wax provides a rubbery coating that will keep the cotton dry and once the cotton ball is lit, serves as additional fuel. Tear one in half and either light with a match or a spark from a flint & steel and they will burn for several minutes. We keep 6 to 8 of them in an old Altoids tin in all our vehicles and survival kits.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I always carry some pre split very dry kenneling . Also have a battery operated air mattress pump , works wonders for getting the fire going