Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lugoff, SC, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Powell
Member #

We moved from Georgia to western Washington last year. We are originally from eastern Washington but have been away for about 14 years. In the Southeast we would camp year round with the worst time being the summer because of the heat. We are adapting how we camp now to the PNW but do still enjoy trying to get out in the different seasons. Our concern is with our RTT. In the Southeast we have camped in several storms and have had to pack our tent away briefly wet but being where there is perpetual summer we were able to open it up soon after and dry it out. We haven't used our RTT much since moving here because we are concerned about packing away a wet tent and not having a chance to open the tent up and air it out. Especially if we have a winter/spring like this past year which was very long and wet and we had weeks where it rained every day. Our RTT is mounted on a trailer and I don't have a covered area that I could open it up under. I just wnated to see what other people are doing to avoid having a moldy tent since I do see a lot of tents on vehicles around here.

Pic from a couple of years ago. Camping Brunswick.jpeg

Reactions: MazeVX

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

You're going to have to find somewhere to leave it open long enough to dry. Steel carports are relatively inexpensive if you have the room.

If not, I'm sure you could find someone on here that will let you come park it at their place for a couple days when you get back from your trips.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

We moved from Georgia to western Washington last year. We are originally from eastern Washington but have been away for about 14 years. In the Southeast we would camp year round with the worst time being the summer because of the heat. We are adapting how we camp now to the PNW but do still enjoy trying to get out in the different seasons. Our concern is with our RTT. In the Southeast we have camped in several storms and have had to pack our tent away briefly wet but being where there is perpetual summer we were able to open it up soon after and dry it out. We haven't used our RTT much since moving here because we are concerned about packing away a wet tent and not having a chance to open the tent up and air it out. Especially if we have a winter/spring like this past year which was very long and wet and we had weeks where it rained every day. Our RTT is mounted on a trailer and I don't have a covered area that I could open it up under. I just wnated to see what other people are doing to avoid having a moldy tent since I do see a lot of tents on vehicles around here.

Pic from a couple of years ago. View attachment 240823
I used to wait and hope that a dry spell would happen soon. Open it up, watch the weather and pack it back down.

A fan or two can be very helpful with that as well.

It’s my experience that even when soaked, they don’t take that long to dry with a fan blasting through them.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
This is why, in the wet midwest and east, we get RTT's that open straight up. No side tarp room thingys.

Like a Bundutec.

We can pop the top anywhere. It's likely just the wrong setup for you.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

A few option.
Rent a storage unit and park it in there.
Rent covered RV storage.
Go to a parking garage with a diesel heater or fans and air it out.
Ask around for someone on here or a FB group for covered temporary storage.
Drop it by my house in Yakima, it's always dry here.
Remove it and open it up in the living room, let the kids have some fun.
A neighbor with a garage in exchange for a case of beer.
A cheap Harbo Frieght carport.
I don't know your living situation so I don't know what you have available to you.
Maybe one of these ideas will work.

Reactions: Viking1204