Western Virginia Monthly Meetup (old thread)

• HTML tutorial

xnooby63

Rank 0

Traveler I

banks of the James
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Mason
I'm good for the 10th and 17th ... 3rd and 24th are already planned. I'm also waiting on a new Gazetteer, the show more detail on access, unimproved and FS roads. Anyone have suggestions for roads/trails to roll on?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Hey guys, just checking in to see if anyone else was interested in a June Meetup? I'm planning a little short trip through GWNF this weekend from Friday to Saturday. I'm starting here in Covington and heading over some Forest Service roads to come out near Staunton. Still not 100% on what I'm going to do Saturday, but thought about hitting Blue Mountain Brewery over near Afton and then trip back via Blue Ridge Parkway. I might be free on the 17th, but still not 100% how that's going to go.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Wondering if everyone wants to try to do something on the 17th? I've got a lot of catching up on projects as the summer has really come screaming up on me without warning and I'm getting behind, but I'd be up for a day trip out to meet-up with everyone. That'll be the end of my vacation week.

Any suggestions?

Reactions: xnooby63

xnooby63

Rank 0

Traveler I

banks of the James
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Mason
How did your Covington to Staunton ride go? I'm interested in something. There is also some fun roads in the Bald [emoji558] Green Pond area. Years ago I would start at the bottom of the hill, off of CR42 I think it is FS162, and follow the fire break that runs almost straight up the mountain. Straight up took about 1.5 to 2 hours then the top end has multiple tangents to explore, or about another 2 to 3 hours back to hard surface.
Anyways it's a fun road but I'm up for something.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
How did your Covington to Staunton ride go? I'm interested in something. There is also some fun roads in the Bald [emoji558] Green Pond area. Years ago I would start at the bottom of the hill, off of CR42 I think it is FS162, and follow the fire break that runs almost straight up the mountain. Straight up took about 1.5 to 2 hours then the top end has multiple tangents to explore, or about another 2 to 3 hours back to hard surface.
Anyways it's a fun road but I'm up for something.

It was a good time! I've got a write-up in the trips now and then forum here an my build on TheNewX.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Any interest in finding a trail to ride this Saturday?

I kinda doubt it for me, we just walked in the door from a 700 mile trip from home, to DC for two days, to OBX for two nights, and home again. I've got yard work to catch up on and check over the X. I might be up for a meal meet-n-greet though.

xnooby63

Rank 0

Traveler I

banks of the James
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Mason
I kinda doubt it for me, we just walked in the door from a 700 mile trip from home, to DC for two days, to OBX for two nights, and home again. I've got yard work to catch up on and check over the X. I might be up for a meal meet-n-greet though.
10-4... Let's play by ear and see where we are on Saturday... I was thinking about the big levels area so maybe we could meet up in Lexington for either lunch or early dinner?

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
10-4... Let's play by ear and see where we are on Saturday... I was thinking about the big levels area so maybe we could meet up in Lexington for either lunch or early dinner?

Roger that! The Palms or Macado's are always good for an early supper.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Sounds good! I'm still cleaning camping gear from the beach and I've gotten into a cargo rack project for the Xterra this morning.

We'll try again for early July maybe. Summer is the busiest time of year for us with the kids out of school.

xnooby63

Rank 0

Traveler I

banks of the James
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Mason
Sounds good! I'm still cleaning camping gear from the beach and I've gotten into a cargo rack project for the Xterra this morning.

We'll try again for early July maybe. Summer is the busiest time of year for us with the kids out of school.
Understood... Mine have gotten old enough they have their own things going on during the summer

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
OK everyone, in July the only weekend I have free to do much is the 8th. If anyone wants to get together speak up! If that doesn't work, ya'll can get something going another weekend. Any suggestions?

Reactions: Darrell

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Just for interests sake, from 1-3pm on the 8th at the Sportsmans Warehouse in Roanoke, they are having a Dutch Oven cooking "class". I don't know how in-depth it will be but that could be something for us.