Western Virginia Monthly Meetup (old thread)

• HTML tutorial

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Can't make this one (family obligations). New to the overlanding and off road. Looking forward to a future event.
Subscribe to this forum and when a new topic is posted you'll get an email. Then you can keep any eye out for the next meet-up. I may just keep editing this thread if I can redo the poll though so you might subscribe to it as well.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

@TerryD did you call ahead to the meat shak to see if they are good or you guys gonna just wing it? Doesn't matter either way, was just curious.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Can we try to get a table outside at the meat shack, since I will have my dog?
@TerryD did you call ahead to the meat shak to see if they are good or you guys gonna just wing it? Doesn't matter either way, was just curious.
I have not called Chris but I was going to try to this evening. I'll check on a table outside and see what they have. I can't remember how much outdoor seating there was there but I'm hoping we're going to get there early enough to have the run of the place.

Reactions: ylojelo

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I called JJ's this evening and the lady who answered the phone said outside, pet friendly seating for around 11 people would be no problem!

I'm looking forward to seeing/meeting everyone tomorrow! I stuck my CB in the Xterra this evening and checked it out so I'll be monitoring CH4 on there, CH1 on FRS and probably the 2m WA1ZMS Ham repeater as well. I'll keep a check on the forum as well so if anyone had any issues, I should be available... :laughing:

Reactions: ShoKilla

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Really bummed I'mgonna miss tomorrow... Hoping next meet up fits better... [emoji17]

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
I wish you could make it but things happen! I'll be putting up a new thread next week to start on the next meet-up! Just keep an eye out for it!

Reactions: xnooby63

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Well, I think we had a successful meet-up! J (ylojelo), Dwayne (shokilla), Comer (smalldog) and my crew met up for some good BBQ in Buena Vista then spent several hours riding around in the area. Never found a reason to put it in 4wd but we found some neat places I want to go check out again.

We decided to back track to a dispersed campsite we saw earlier and had camp setup for a couple hours before a decent lightning storm moved in on us and seemed to stall over the valley. With a car full of upset kids, the wife and I broke camp quickly and after the blessing of the other guys that they were good, we headed off.

I hate that our day ended this way but I got to meet some great guys and spend the day riding around in the George Washington National Forest. Plus the wife and I are getting really good at Xterra Tetris as J called it. Next time we'll hopefully get some better weather, or at least maybe not lightning.

TerryD #3710tmp_26524-20170520_191226447896164.jpg

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Yeah, we debated until it was too late to leave. Broke camp early with soggy tents. Nice meeting everyone
Did the thunder ever die down? We've been slowly unloading today and drying everything out. We're going to have to hose off the tent here in a bit where that rush came down under it.

It was really great meeting you guys! The wife and I were discussing coming back later this summer and trying to get that upper creek side spot and go check out that "Panther Falls" and check out some of the spurs off FS315 that we rode down last.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
OK, so instead of starting another thread and retagging and resubscribing and all that jazz, we're already here so lets get to work on June's meetup.

Anyone got anything in mind they'd like to do? Trails to check out or restaurants to share with the group?

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I'm pretty busy the whole month. I probably can't do anything the weekends of the 10th or 17th, but ya'll pick the weekend that works best for most of you. If I can swing in for a bit or something, I'll try.