Rank I

Enthusiast I

Florida, USA
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Smith
Hello Sam
If you have never been to the Grand Canyon that is a must see here in Arizona. North rim is the less traveled portion, nice campgrounds around with no problems for a two wheel drive vehicle. If you do the North rim look up Horseshoe Bend for a visit, it is near Page Az. Also look up Antelope Canyon for a visit. The Vermillion cliffs are also right in that same general area and are beautiful. However in June through August you will catch some heat, that and some afternoon summer storms. But they make for beautiful pictures.
Was specifically looking at the north rim as a great camping spot, good to hear I was on the right track

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
In all seriousness to the OP. Pay attention to what Jim had to say earlier. I would also add that one must always be prepared for the worst case scenario. ( fire, roll over, getting stuck really bad, catastrophic break down, etc ) Be ready to walk out if you have to. We always carry our back packs in an easy to access compartment. If you have one, fill it up and bring it. I can have ours out and away from the vehicle in about 20 seconds. In the back packs is enough food for 3-4 days, safety kit, extra clothing, a full up water bladder, and a water purifier, along with all the other things one would normally carry in a back pack. So far we have never had to do this, and being anal retentive with our preparing, planning and preventative maintenance, should never have to walk away. I've read previous posts on this subject and the fact of the matter is, you can easily get to some really remote spots even with only a 2-wd vehicle. I'd also recommend paper maps in addition to any navigation aids you might have. So, as Jim said, plan, plan & plan some more.

mwilson920

US West Region Local Expert Las Vegas

Protector II

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Michelle
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Was specifically looking at the north rim as a great camping spot, good to hear I was on the right track
There are camp spots on the North Rim off the Forest Service Roads. You can be out there with no one else around and truly enjoy the majesty of the Grand Canyon. Get a Forest Service map from the visitor center in Jacob Lake and ask about camping while you are there.

Hope you have a great trip!!!

Reactions: 5lugger

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Thanks everyone, some great advice here that I’ll definitely follow. I’ll probably share it on YouTube or Instagram if anyone is interested when the time comes
Good tires aired down can get you through a lot. The lack of low range may just give you issues on steep uphills with little traction.

Reactions: dirtnsmores