Luxembourg
First Name
John
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Copy/paste from the main forum:

Hey,

Posting some photos of my western alps trip with overland_bubba #15446 and my dogs.
Not everything went as I planned. Especially the planned wild camping locations close to bunkers from the Maginot line caused some problems.
Often the tracks leading to the locations were inaccessible or forbidden to vehicles.
I also forgot about the "Tour de France".
It's way lead straight though my plans.
We had to bypass it by a detour through Italy, over the Col de la Lombarde (2350m). I really enjoyed the detour because it took us through a beautiful, wild and untouched nature.
Actually we did have lots of fun.

DSC04736-1.jpgDSC04793.JPG.jpgDSC04785.JPG.jpgDSC04761.JPG.jpgDSC04738.JPG.jpg20190725_142923.jpgDSC04772.JPG.jpg20190725_220524.jpg20190725_192706.jpg

Last edited:

John Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Luxembourg
First Name
John
Last Name
Smith
Member #

looks like you really had a good time. Was it difficult to find some spots for camping up there
Yes, we really had a great time.
And yes it was difficult to find adequate camping locations.
I planned our camping spots mostly on bunker locations because there at least are plane and even places for the tents. But some, if not most, of the roads leading to these locations were inaccessible by car.

A second issue was the Tour de France. My planned backup locations were mainly on the exact track of the Tour de France. Caravans and camping cars occupied these spots already some days before the Tour. There have been thousands of campers.
My mistake. I really forgot about the tour de France.
But our first spot was really great. The second one was in between a field. Out third night was on a small official camping site in the valley because of heavy rain an stormy weather. The last night we manage to get a gîte (kind of a small appartment).

Reactions: family-overland

arjan

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Hondón de las Nieves, Spanje
First Name
arjan
Last Name
sloot
Member #

Copy/paste from the main forum:

Hey,

Posting some photos of my western alps trip with overland_bubba #15446 and my dogs.
Not everything went as I planned. Especially the planned wild camping locations close to bunkers from the Maginot line caused some problems.
Often the tracks leading to the locations were inaccessible or forbidden to vehicles.
I also forgot about the "Tour de France".
It's way lead straight though my plans.
We had to bypass it by a detour through Italy, over the Col de la Lombarde (2350m). I really enjoyed the detour because it took us through a beautiful, wild and untouched nature.
Actually we did have lots of fun.

View attachment 109572View attachment 109573View attachment 109575View attachment 109577View attachment 109578View attachment 109579View attachment 109581View attachment 109582View attachment 109584
that is some awsome trip man. i would like to do that one to. do you a reference or route for it somewhere?