Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
I'm more interested in the travelling aspect rather than offloading. Unfortunately my pride and joy isn't fully equipped to the level I'd like. Who knows, with Christmas approaching my fellow OB family might get me what I need. Such thoughtful chaps. Thanks everyone. Ha ha ha
Hey Keith your post has brought up a subject I have been thinking about. I know the forum has a buy sell swap section but I would l8ke to see it done in regions.
When I look at it I have to traipse through hundreds of items for sale in the USA only to find nothing available in my region.
By making it regional it makes it easier to find what you want close by and more realistic to get it shipped to you.
Let’s offer what we have to other members first before we go the eBay route.
What do you think?

Reactions: Tim

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Hey Keith your post has brought up a subject I have been thinking about. I know the forum has a buy sell swap section but I would l8ke to see it done in regions.
When I look at it I have to traipse through hundreds of items for sale in the USA only to find nothing available in my region.
By making it regional it makes it easier to find what you want close by and more realistic to get it shipped to you.
Let’s offer what we have to other members first before we go the eBay route.
What do you think?
I like it... are we taking about having our own thread or making the existing one regional?

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Wrt the buy / sell page, I think I've browsed it briefly but I figured it was predominantly stateside and haven't looked since.

It might work but what about those buyers who always try it on and say they never received their item whilst enjoying it at the same time? That's why I tend to stick with eBay as there is a contract in place. Unfortunately eBay prices are ridiculous nowadays and it's rare to find a bargain.

I have all sorts of Landy bits that I've upgraded which litter my garage.

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Wrt the buy / sell page, I think I've browsed it briefly but I figured it was predominantly stateside and haven't looked since.

It might work but what about those buyers who always try it on and say they never received their item whilst enjoying it at the same time? That's why I tend to stick with eBay as there is a contract in place. Unfortunately eBay prices are ridiculous nowadays and it's rare to find a bargain.

I have all sorts of Landy bits that I've upgraded which litter my garage.
Yes that’s the problem with the Buy, sell swap forum, everything seems to be USA and as such it’s not realistic to ship it to U.K.
Understand re people trying it on but in this instance you would have more of their details being a member etc.
As for sending things by courier / post there are safe guards in place for proof of sending and proof of delivery.
They way I see the system now we in the UK might as well not have it so I just want to make it a tool we can use.

I think we should start this in a new thread to discuss further rather than muddy the water of the original post.

@Kent R @Michael can this be moved to a new thread topic with the existing comments for a regional Buy sell swap forum

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Yes that’s the problem with the Buy, sell swap forum, everything seems to be USA and as such it’s not realistic to ship it to U.K.
Understand re people trying it on but in this instance you would have more of their details being a member etc.
As for sending things by courier / post there are safe guards in place for proof of sending and proof of delivery.
They way I see the system now we in the UK might as well not have it so I just want to make it a tool we can use.

I think we should start this in a new thread to discuss further rather than muddy the water of the original post.

@Kent R @Michael can this be moved to a new thread topic with the existing comments for a regional Buy sell swap forum
Just to confirm, are you wanting the buy/sell/swap to be in a new thread?

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I chatted with Michael quick about this. We talked at length early in the year about adding buy/sell/trade sections for the regions to make it easier. We decided ultimately that the amount of real estate required for that would be hard to cover for the limited mods we currently have. So we stickied a post with recommended format to make seeing where items are located easier. That didn't work . Nobody really follows the format well.

So when I chatted with @Michael today, we still feel this would strain our current resources. However, what we did, and hopefully it will work better, is created prefixes for each region. And made the prefix mandatory to post. So, in order to create a buy/sell/trade post it must have the region the item is located in as the prefix. Then you can filter by prefix so you only see the region you want. I know this doesn't address every single complaint everyone could have with the current setup but I think it should make things easier. We've been complaining about the same thing here in the US too. I'm not interested in seeing the stuff in California when I'm 3100 miles away.

We can certainly continue discussion and explore solutions to the buy/sell/trade section. At this moment we don't have the bandwidth to do any big expansions to the current forum structure. But its on our radar and we appreciate the feedback.

So here are some screen shots.

Prefix is required and is selected to the left of the thread title.
upload_2018-12-19_13-38-53.png

You can filter by clicking Thread Display Options at the bottom (looking at relocating this option to top of page, will take some work)
upload_2018-12-19_13-40-10.png

And then select the prefix you want. All other threads will be filtered out.

upload_2018-12-19_13-42-1.png

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello @Chris Jones

Actually, cant that prefix not be done for all the threads. This instead ofthe regions? That would give everone the possibility to see regionbound topics, but also all other topics.
At this moment for a quick look, I pass everything and go straight to the europe section, and I miss much of the other topics.

It would make the list also much shorter in the main menu. Just an idea.

Greetings from Robert

Reactions: Polaris Overland

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Hello @Chris Jones

Actually, cant that prefix not be done for all the threads. This instead ofthe regions? That would give everone the possibility to see regionbound topics, but also all other topics.
At this moment for a quick look, I pass everything and go straight to the europe section, and I miss much of the other topics.

Greetings from Robert
I like that idea, a lot of issues with the forum I am told is it is cluttered and difficult to navigate. Ideally for me I like the selectable prefix which could maybe set as the default region you are a member of but giving you the option to change and browse other regions when you want to for instance if you are doing a trip to another region and want to acesss information.
That way each member gets a pseudo tailored forum based on region but as stated the ability to dip in to other regions for information when required.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

I would only turn things around, as I would prefer to have a glance of it all before I go and see what is in my region. But I guess both views has their benefits.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Hello @Chris Jones

Greetings from Robert
I think implementing this for all topics would fragment the community. The east guys wouldn't bother looking at what the west guys are talking about, etc... We want everyone participating in all of the general discussion. Where there are region specific items, we are working to smooth that out and prevent clutter. The buy sell swap is a good example of decluttering. I may also be misunderstanding what you are saying so please elaborate if I'm not understanding you. Thanks for your input!

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

That said, we could be selective to where we offer the option for region prefixes. General topics would not have that option but topics where region specific is important could have the option.

I'm just thinking out loud over here, don't mind me... Haha

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Well, I think you have a point there. What does @Michael think about it?
I believe that it will shorten the list, but also gives people the chance to see first the General overview, and when they like to go region they click on the prefix.
So, no set prefix I suggest.
On the other hand, if people are just interesting in their region, they go there anyway.

Example is the europe section. Europe is so different to the USA that we hardly have something in common on a daily basis. Your trips and tracks are awesome, but give us mostly a feeling of not too bad jealousy. Going out on a track with 50 Rigs is impossible here. So we need to think different.
This means that a lot is nice to read, but will not help us to get more people.

But with the prefix, I can read like some posts, then switch to prefix, and go back. IF I have to scroll all over the place, I think most will stop there.
My 2 cents.

I was and am against Regions, but, if we do, lets make the best out of it.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Well, I think you have a point there. What does @Michael think about it?
I believe that it will shorten the list, but also gives people the chance to see first the General overview, and when they like to go region they click on the prefix.
So, no set prefix I suggest.
On the other hand, if people are just interesting in their region, they go there anyway.

Example is the europe section. Europe is so different to the USA that we hardly have something in common on a daily basis. Your trips and tracks are awesome, but give us mostly a feeling of not too bad jealousy. Going out on a track with 50 Rigs is impossible here. So we need to think different.
This means that a lot is nice to read, but will not help us to get more people.

But with the prefix, I can read like some posts, then switch to prefix, and go back. IF I have to scroll all over the place, I think most will stop there.
My 2 cents.

I was and am against Regions, but, if we do, lets make the best out of it.
Michael and I chatted for a bit last night. I think we came up with a way to make this work. But we need to consider how we implement. We are still talking about that. I'll let you know what we come up with.