Well.....piss

• HTML tutorial

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I have had a rattle under my Jeep for the past week or so that I could not locate, so i gave it another look last night and found this:

Missing lower caliper bolts, on BOTH sides..... But, it did not stop there. I bought new bolts thinking maybe the old owner forgot to put them back or tighten them. Nope. The passenger side has the bolt broken off inside the threads and the drivers side is completely stripped out. Since I don't have the time for this, it goes to the shop tomorrow. Lol..Never can get ahead.

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Yeah it is amazing how people neglect or just flat out don't try to fix things or maintain them properly.

Pazuzu1991

Rank IV

Advocate II

OMG! That is so dangerous. Torque specs? Maybe they were to tight causing them to snap. I can see one failing but but both?

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I have no idea what caused it, from the looks of it they have been gone for awhile, but I have only had the Jeep a couple months and I haven't done anything in the front end other than the lift and that didn't require anything with the brake calipers.

gandrimp

Rank III

Advocate II

Might as well use this to your advantage. Nearly half the work (more or less) will already be done if you was to put a locker in now. Im not a jeep guy but I assume the backing plates will need replaced.

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Might as well use this to your advantage. Nearly half the work (more or less) will already be done if you was to put a locker in now. Im not a jeep guy but I assume the backing plates will need replaced.
Nope, just drill and tap and put oversized bushings and bolts in, from what I hear it's pretty common on these that those break

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Is it the caliper pins or the caliper carrier? If it is the pins, then you can easily replace the pins and get new bolts.

This has bolts through a pin into the knuckle (the piece that attaches everything to the ball joints is one cast piece) my repair shop said they deal with this a lot and will drill and tap for new, oversized pins and bolts so it won't do this again. They said it seems to be pretty common with all Chrysler products around the year of mine.

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
That reminds me of the time I drove our first WJ (my Wife's) to work and as I backed into a parking spot, there was a loud clunking and grinding from the right rear. At lunch I went out, jacked it up and crawled under. The brake caliper was off and hanging by the brake line and banging the inside of the wheel. The caliper bolts were still there, but the guide bolt was missing and one caliper bolt had backed out enough that it wasn't engaged any more. I walked down to the auto parts store at the end of the street, picked up a new guide bolt (pre-treated with loc-tite), walked back and got everything back together before my lunch was over.

After getting my WJ, that was one of the first things I checked (and still do...) :sunglasses:

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
I blew one last November at Badlands... on a Sunday... Drove 5 hours with it leaking like a sieve. Drove between Columbus Indiana and Lawrenceburg, KY without touching the brakes once.

Reactions: Overland-Indiana

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Hope they it done cheap and quick for ya

I have used this shop a LOT and will only take my vehicles to them, a friend/customer of mine owns it. He replaced all bushings and seals in the rear axle for $500 parts, fluids and labor. And, he did my lift, front springs and rear leafs (new leafs, bushings and then spacers for coils) for $250 labor, the rear leaf springs are a bitch on these..