William
Last Name
reed
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1WTR
Service Branch
Army
I have an old 2 burner Coleman stove, from, well, got to be 35-40 years old, at least. About a month ago, we went camping, and, sadly, the burners simply werent getting hot enough. I attempted to boil water for coffee, and, after 10 minutes, the water STILL hadnt reached a boil on one of the burners. I tried the other, and had similar results.
As this stove has been WELL used, and I am sure I could service it if I wanted to tear into it, it made me a little sad, and somewhat nostalgic, for having that much history with the stove. Not having the ability to cook though, at that moment, kind of set me off.
So, the MRS and I began to debate looking at new stoves. We decided we would take a ride to Cabela's and see what they had.
So, we looked at Coleman, Camp Chef, Jetboil, and Cook Partner (granted, some werent there, but these were on our browse list).
I was really leaning toward the Camp Chef Everest model. I liked the BTUs, I like the protection of the knobs, etc. Coleman, I wanted to move on from. JetBoil, well, just didnt fit into my camp kitchen setup, and, to be honest, the asthetics, to me, were ugly. The Cook Partner stove was spendy, but heirloom quality.
Anyway, while at Cabela's I decided on the Everest. I went to go see if they had any in stock-and they didnt. They stated it would be a couple weeks. Ok. So, I decided to order it.
Well, my Cabelas card expired....of course. So, I renewed it, or, at least tried. They said there would be a $20 credit on it, and, for whatever reason, it wasnt renewing immediately. So, I decided to wait, and go back in a couple days (the customer service rep said that the checks through the system often dont go through, but push automatically at midnight. System issues, not user error).
Anyway, went back a couple days later. Again, wanting to order the Everest. Still backordered, could be a couple days, could be a couple weeks. Ok, no worries. Went to order it-and, for whatever reason, they couldnt apply my $20 credit.
I walked out. I was over the Everest at that point. Went home, and ordered a Cook Partner 2 burner.
Let me tell you, cooking for 4 days on this last weekend, this thing is a DREAM. It states each burner is 10,000 BTUs, but this boiled a couple pints of water in about 2 minutes. The adjustability on the knobs is truly amazing. The durability of this stove, well, its stainless steel, so, its gonna take some lumps (not that I plan on beating on it, but it can get dropped, with no issues). The hose attachment stows under the removeable grill and burner. Removing that, makes this thing extremely easy to clean. Simply wipe it out and you're done. The knobs are recessed, so there is VERY little chance of damaging them.
From what I understand, these are all handmade in Idaho. Granted, they ARE pricey. But, I wanted to buy one stove, and use it indefinitely. Something that will outlast me. With the SS construction, no moving parts, ease of cleaning, hidden control knobs, and rebuildable burners, I have no doubt that this will last me decades, and is a worthy replacement for the venerable old school coleman.

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Nice words, I had to look that one up immediately after reading. I'm in the market for something different, I also have a older 2-burner Coleman. Luckily mine still works good on both sides I just broke a knob off one side and use pliers to turn it. :sweatsmile:

Reactions: oldsoldier181

AviatorJones

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Georgia, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Jones
I have an old 2 burner Coleman stove, from, well, got to be 35-40 years old, at least. About a month ago, we went camping, and, sadly, the burners simply werent getting hot enough. I attempted to boil water for coffee, and, after 10 minutes, the water STILL hadnt reached a boil on one of the burners. I tried the other, and had similar results.
As this stove has been WELL used, and I am sure I could service it if I wanted to tear into it, it made me a little sad, and somewhat nostalgic, for having that much history with the stove. Not having the ability to cook though, at that moment, kind of set me off.
So, the MRS and I began to debate looking at new stoves. We decided we would take a ride to Cabela's and see what they had.
So, we looked at Coleman, Camp Chef, Jetboil, and Cook Partner (granted, some werent there, but these were on our browse list).
I was really leaning toward the Camp Chef Everest model. I liked the BTUs, I like the protection of the knobs, etc. Coleman, I wanted to move on from. JetBoil, well, just didnt fit into my camp kitchen setup, and, to be honest, the asthetics, to me, were ugly. The Cook Partner stove was spendy, but heirloom quality.
Anyway, while at Cabela's I decided on the Everest. I went to go see if they had any in stock-and they didnt. They stated it would be a couple weeks. Ok. So, I decided to order it.
Well, my Cabelas card expired....of course. So, I renewed it, or, at least tried. They said there would be a $20 credit on it, and, for whatever reason, it wasnt renewing immediately. So, I decided to wait, and go back in a couple days (the customer service rep said that the checks through the system often dont go through, but push automatically at midnight. System issues, not user error).
Anyway, went back a couple days later. Again, wanting to order the Everest. Still backordered, could be a couple days, could be a couple weeks. Ok, no worries. Went to order it-and, for whatever reason, they couldnt apply my $20 credit.
I walked out. I was over the Everest at that point. Went home, and ordered a Cook Partner 2 burner.
Let me tell you, cooking for 4 days on this last weekend, this thing is a DREAM. It states each burner is 10,000 BTUs, but this boiled a couple pints of water in about 2 minutes. The adjustability on the knobs is truly amazing. The durability of this stove, well, its stainless steel, so, its gonna take some lumps (not that I plan on beating on it, but it can get dropped, with no issues). The hose attachment stows under the removeable grill and burner. Removing that, makes this thing extremely easy to clean. Simply wipe it out and you're done. The knobs are recessed, so there is VERY little chance of damaging them.
From what I understand, these are all handmade in Idaho. Granted, they ARE pricey. But, I wanted to buy one stove, and use it indefinitely. Something that will outlast me. With the SS construction, no moving parts, ease of cleaning, hidden control knobs, and rebuildable burners, I have no doubt that this will last me decades, and is a worthy replacement for the venerable old school coleman.
Similar situation here. Our Coleman (likely older than me) is giving up the ghost. As I was reading your post I was hoping you had discovered a hidden gem. Sigh.. now I'm going to have to go look at the Partner 22 again. Dangit.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
On the Coleman stoves, my right hand burner was getting iffy. So I just dissembled the whole thing and cleaned it, it is just literally hollow pipes but there was a lot of crap in there - bug remains mostly. I have done this to both propane and white gas stoves and they both worked very well after.

And mine has stood up to 20 years of being banged around so I will keep it going for a bit yet, I have seen the propane and white gas (although these are getting rare) in various small 2nd hand store for 10 - 15 dollars pretty hard to beat.