Welcome to the Western Canada thread

• HTML tutorial

Echelon

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Looking for good spots around Rossland/Trail area and near Christina Lake and Cascades, dispersed free camping and spots I can get to in a non lifted rig?

Travis Adams

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Nelson, BC, Canada
Member #

Nelson BC checking in! Pretty new to overlanding, but been doing plenty of backpacking and camping in the area.

As far as getting into campsites at this time of year without a lift might be pretty tricky. It's pretty damn snowy out there

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
Welcome to Overland Bound, @Travis Adams. You already know this, but you are in a really beautiful place to explore, as a hiker or as an overlander. The Canada - West (B.C.) Region [link] is starting to grown and the proximity to the US Northwest Region [link] makes it even easier to share in activities. I highly recommend checking out the forums for both of the regions. If you don't mind crossing the border, the North Idaho/Northeast Washington portion of the US Northwest Region is working to organize a number of activities throughout this year.

If you would like to know what activities are going on, you can check out the Rally Point system [link]. There you can filter for events by region.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting you on the trail some day. Until then, if you need anything just send me a message on the forums @Jedi.

Echelon

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Nelson BC checking in! Pretty new to overlanding, but been doing plenty of backpacking and camping in the area.

As far as getting into campsites at this time of year without a lift might be pretty tricky. It's pretty damn snowy out there
We will have to get in touch I'm planning on coming up there this summer and looking for good camping spots and hiking spots!

Travis Adams

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Nelson, BC, Canada
Member #

We will have to get in touch I'm planning on coming up there this summer and looking for good camping spots and hiking spots!
Perfect! I know a good amount of fairly mind blowing zones if you're down to put in the leg work.
One fun drive that is worth looking up in your spare time is Silvercup Ridge. I'm not 100% sure if you can drive the whole trail in a 4x4, but for sure a dirt bike. You can access some amazing viewpoints diving in from either side of the trail. The town of Trout Lake has one of the last gravity fed gas stations as well!

Echelon

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Will have to check that out it looks nice, we are planning on exploring Banff, Lake Moyie, Champion Lakes and doing some overlanding outside of Banff National Park and Yoho National Park.

Reactions: Travis Adams

Lee Johnson

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Kelowna, Regional District of Central Okanagan, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7LEJ
Hello from Kelowna! Looking forward to meeting some local members this year. Planning my next upgrades and refining my build to better meet my needs. With a family of four in my 80 series, space is at a premium. If you are coming through Kelowna on a trip, let me know and I’ll throw some meat on the smoker!

Attachments

Echelon

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Greetings! Kelowna is beautiful! We are in Spokane but frequent Canada. Looks like you have a nice setup, we also have four (2 adults, 2 kids) and our Smittybilt Overlander XL has plenty of space with the annex.

Reactions: Lee Johnson

High Outdoors

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

North Vancouver, BC, Canada
First Name
Taylor
Last Name
Dungate
Member #

Hey All,

I just recently moved back to BC after being out east for a couple of years. I'm in the lower mainland and have spent lots of time up in Squamish and all around southern BC. I've done a trip or two across the country and one down the west coast of America. I've been without a rig for a couple of years now but got a new rig and can't wait to get out and explore.

Reactions: Island Overlander

Nelsonjeeper

Rank I

Traveler I

Nelson BC
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Vodden
Member #

Looking for good spots around Rossland/Trail area and near Christina Lake and Cascades, dispersed free camping and spots I can get to in a non lifted rig?
Top of Bulldog Mtn is a little tough to get to, but nice spot. The lake front sites north of Deerpark are beautiful, but too busy in summer. The KVR trail from Paulson summit to Castlegar is awesome, with camping/picnic areas alongside the trail. There’s lots of great little river side spots north of the Granby, in Grand Forks. Hopefully, you can get up here before it gets too cold.

Attachments

Last edited: