Welcome to Overland Tools - a new discussion space in the forum to discuss Overland tools

• HTML tutorial

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
The Cambridge Dictonary describes the meaning of tool to be:

a piece of equipment that you use with your hands in order to help you do something.

I would love this section to flourish into a virtual place where OB members and guests can visit to to learn and share knowledge about the tools you carry in your rig or at base camp to have adventures!

PS - Thank you Micheal & Corrie for acting on my suggestion of this new section in the OB forum.

How did this new section come about?

I posted a thread in Forums, Overland Rigs, Full Sized Rigs looking for assistance to narrow down which sizes i should carry in my tool roll for the trail but felt this may not be the best place and it could get lost and not seen by enough people, how ever the people that did see the post and assit have been awsome, so thank you all, you know who you are!

Screenshot 2022-09-02 4.37.43 AM.png

Attachments

Last edited:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
That's a great idea. The question of which tools to take on tour is one of the most frequently asked, along with the question of spare parts, when it comes to overlanding. Everyone has different experiences and the exchange helps not only beginners. That is great. At our Mid Europe spring meetup, we held a workshop and roundtable discussion on this topic.

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
That's a great idea. The question of which tools to take on tour is one of the most frequently asked, along with the question of spare parts, when it comes to overlanding. Everyone has different experiences and the exchange helps not only beginners. That is great. At our Mid Europe spring meetup, we held a workshop and roundtable discussion on this topic.
Hi Bjoern,

Thanks for the reply, I am based 6 months in London and 6 months in North America on average each year, If you are ever overlanding in the UK please send me a message. My rig is in storage in Canada, last time I was hitting the dirt was November 2020, after completing a 10,000 mile exploration of US & Canada and I only scratched the surface!

I am heading out on the 20th to be reunited with my rig, hopefully than I can get the answers to my question of what size Hex Keys,Ratches,Sockets,Spanners & Wrenches I should have in the tool roll.

I find it difficult to believe that manufactures of vehicles dont publish a list in the vehicles owner manual, well in 2003 GMC didn't.

Best wishes

Amanda

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi Bjoern,

Thanks for the reply, I am based 6 months in London and 6 months in North America on average each year, If you are ever overlanding in the UK please send me a message. My rig is in storage in Canada, last time I was hitting the dirt was November 2020, after completing a 10,000 mile exploration of US & Canada and I only scratched the surface!

I am heading out on the 20th to be reunited with my rig, hopefully than I can get the answers to my question of what size Hex Keys,Ratches,Sockets,Spanners & Wrenches I should have in the tool roll.

I find it difficult to believe that manufactures of vehicles dont publish a list in the vehicles owner manual, well in 2003 GMC didn't.

Best wishes

Amanda
Amanda when you are in the UK you might contact our West Europe Director Dave Spinks @Polaris Overland

Reactions: El-Dracho

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Amanda when you are in the UK you might contact our West Europe Director Dave Spinks @Polaris Overland
Hi Kent, Nice to meet you, thanks for the heads up, it would be nice to meet other OB members while in the UK. Shame I dont have my Rig here :-( Last year I did a trip in a rental for 6 weeks around italy and it was amazing, I so wish I had my Rig with me, there is so much to explore, I could not do any off pavement as I had a Jeep SUV, but plenty of excuses to stop and make coffee!!!!

IMG-3440.jpg

IMG-3714.jpg
IMG-3724.jpg

IMG-1963.jpg

PS Spot the OB sticker!!!!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi Kent, Nice to meet you, thanks for the heads up, it would be nice to meet other OB members while in the UK. Shame I dont have my Rig here :-( Last year I did a trip in a rental for 6 weeks around italy and it was amazing, I so wish I had my Rig with me, there is so much to explore, I could not do any off pavement as I had a Jeep SUV, but plenty of excuses to stop and make coffee!!!!

View attachment 239669

View attachment 239670
View attachment 239671

View attachment 239672

PS Spot the OB sticker!!!!
Had to zoom in but I got it.

Here is a show happening in a couple of weeks that Dave can get you more info.Capture.jpeg

https://files.slack.com/files-pri/T12KGCDU4-F040BB0J8G0/download/screen_shot_2022-08-24_at_2.47.33_pm.png?origin_team=T12KGCDU4

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Hi Kent, Thanks thats a shame I will be flying out of the UK on the 20th and wont be able to attend - darn ! but at least I be heading to collect my rig out of storage! Is OB having a presence at the event to spread the word and increase awarness?

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I'm still working out and refining the tools that I carry.

Most of what I've had to use are electrical tools, as I periodically run into electrical gremlins in my 03 Xterra, as it's almost purely a camping/overland/offroader.

That being said, here's what I currently carry

An assortment of fuses, connectors, terminals in a waterproof container.

Spare Relays

Wire strippers
Wire cutters

Pliers
A full set of metric wratcheting wrenches
20v dewalt impact driver
A full set of 3/8 and 1/2in metric impact sockets
3/8 and 1/2in wratchets
Zip ties
Screwdrivers with interchangeable bits

In the near future I'll be adding a small multimeter.

I also carry a 20v chainsaw and a tire repair kit.

I store these items in a plano sportsman tote bolted to my roof rack, and with a 1/2 plywood floor inside the box for support.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Hi Kent, Thanks thats a shame I will be flying out of the UK on the 20th and wont be able to attend - darn ! but at least I be heading to collect my rig out of storage! Is OB having a presence at the event to spread the word and increase awarness?
This is one of two premium Overland Show in the U.K. and it gives us a great chance to get members together, discuss what we want to do , updates on what is happening in OB and a chance to get together socially together see each others rigs, enjoy a few beers and swap stories of travels and plans.
It’s also a chance to look around the show and see what is new and what is available which is always good for people just starting out.

Give me a shout when you return and we can get you sorted with a trip, I’m sure we can get you in a vehicle with another OB member if you don’t have your own.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Hey @Amanda C . Nice work getting the tool thread started. If I showed you guys what I have I'd be banned from Overlanding. It's overkill. But at least I have what I think I'll need. I like being able to help others on the road. In addition to that, I haul a 21' trailer along with me. It serves as a base camp and then we can venture out from there. All the tools fit in my truck box.
This is my electrical diag box. Scan tool, battery jump box, probe and volt/ohm meter. Also a pic set, panel popper, and inspection mirror.
I have a GP40 jump box that was charging when I took the pic.
Also have a tire repair kit too for the trail.
Zim
IMG-0220.jpg

Reactions: Ken M and El-Dracho

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Some of my other general tools. Sockets and wrenches are yet to be organized. (this has my ocd going nuts) My truck has the typical "whatever they have on the shelf" fasteners both standard and metric. Very typical of Ford. LOL
Zim
IMG-0223.jpg

Reactions: El-Dracho and Ken M

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Hi Zim,

Thanks for sharing, no I think you carry what you feel comfortable with and helping others on the road/trail is so admirable. As you know I am about the emabrk on my next trip and seeing what everyone is carrying or has is of great help. I do know and mau=y ahve mentioned this in an early post on the Hex thread that I started - is that I was tool light on mechanical and electrical tools on my last trip which was 10,000 miles in 11 months during COVID and fortunatley the two issues I had occured near large cities, one was an ABS sensor that went out on me after a steep descent on a forest service road back to pavement near Kamloops BC, and the other was an object hitting my rear brake line on pavement while I drove through Thunder Bay, ON. On both occasions I was able to limp to a garage and both times was back on the road in 24/48 hrs. This time I wont be pushing lady luck ! The funny thing was that I had a full wood working kit, so could help repair someones tiny house on the Trail, I am in my comfort zone with wood working tools! Best wishes Amanda and thanks again for sharing and caring!

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
This is one of two premium Overland Show in the U.K. and it gives us a great chance to get members together, discuss what we want to do , updates on what is happening in OB and a chance to get together socially together see each others rigs, enjoy a few beers and swap stories of travels and plans.
It’s also a chance to look around the show and see what is new and what is available which is always good for people just starting out.

Give me a shout when you return and we can get you sorted with a trip, I’m sure we can get you in a vehicle with another OB member if you don’t have your own.
Hi Dave, Thanks for the message that is so kind an offer and riding shotgun would be a great way to meet others and not feel left out without my rig. Wishing you and everyone attending the show a great time and maybe next year I can attend if I am not in North America. I look forward to keeping in touch and hearing all about the show and what you discover. Have a great weekend, best wishes Amanda

PS Great website and interactive trip maps, hope to meet Angela and you sometime. By the way I was born near glasgow!

Last edited: