Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brandermill Parkway, Midlothian, VA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Rudolph
Member #

So I am trying something new. I have a child in travel sports so I have limited time to get out and explore but decided that is like a lot of us. I thought why not give the video thing some more try's. This is my first post of weekend adventures. My thought is try and record some of my short outings that the Ranger allows me to do. Not that I would need the Ranger for all of it but it makes it easy when you have everything you need and go anywhere you need. Take a look. I am hoping to get more videos out as I play with all of this stuff.

Weekend Adventures

Thanks for the look.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I am in the same boat ( minus the travel sports... at least not yet). I only ever get the occasional weekend to get out, right now I cant get out at all and i am going a little stir crazy! with my province on lockdown I am still able to go to work thankfully, but planning anything for travel seems like a long shot. that and I try not to drive my TJ too much in the winter which limits me to a compass trailhawk, which in itself isn't too bad but limits where I can go lol. I'll have to keep an eye on these videos.

RVA Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Rudolph
Member #

I am in the same boat ( minus the travel sports... at least not yet). I only ever get the occasional weekend to get out, right now I cant get out at all and i am going a little stir crazy! with my province on lockdown I am still able to go to work thankfully, but planning anything for travel seems like a long shot. that and I try not to drive my TJ too much in the winter which limits me to a compass trailhawk, which in itself isn't too bad but limits where I can go lol. I'll have to keep an eye on these videos.
Vehicle doesn't matter. There are always options. I often let life get in the way, it is why i went this rout. Life gets in the way when we let it, which is easy and we all do it. Look in the area you love and look for opportunities to get out , it doesn't need to be overnight or long. I have done a couple of one day trips, the fishing trip i posted, a bird hunting trip with my son, hopefully a camping trip next weekend, we will see. The only way to do it is to make it happen. Come march my life changes, I will be buried in travel softball and not have much time. I have fell victim to that in the past, but with the support of my wife and family I find time for myself. Good luck, hope you enjoy these videos and that they inspire you to find quick trips as well as over nighters.

Reactions: Hafaday

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
ya I need to get out and explore this area a bit more. I just moved about 3 months ago so I don't know the area I am in all that well. I grew up about 3-4 hours northwest of where I am now and I know a ton of trails and camp spots around there, but they are eithers closed now, too tight for the compass or too rocky. around here it seems to be all farm land so I need to get out and meet some people to get an idea on where to go lol.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
@Trail_pilot get a map or search around on google maps for spots to go look at. There are a ton of people on this site that may be able to help you find areas to go also. Good luck in your explorations and adventures.
Normally I wouldn't have an issue but the internet here is incredibly slow, yet the best we can get. I am no longer able to open programs like Google Earth, or the crown land atlas to see where I can legally camp. Even watching YouTube is almost impossible, and I need to let the internet catch up for 30 second after watching about 15 second of video, and it can barely run this forum and won't run website with a lot of flash or ads ( like a lot of parts suppliers websites)I could go out and pick up a backroads map book but will still have the same issues when it comes to finding a camp spot. I have tried using my phone with these programs and though I can use Google Earth it's not the same as using it on the computer and the crown land atlas won't fiction properly on a mobile device lol ... Unfortunately at the moment I'm SOL untill I can use someone else's internet to map the area lmao

Last edited:

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Normally I wouldn't have an issue but the internet here is incredibly slow, yet the best we can get. I am no longer able to open programs like Google Earth, or the crown land atlas to see where I can legally camp. Even watching YouTube is almost impossible, and I need to let the internet catch up for 30 second after watching about 15 second of video, and it can barely run this forum and won't run website with a lot of flash or ads ( like a lot of parts suppliers websites)I could go out and pick up a backroads map book but will still have the same issues when it comes to finding a camp spot. I have tried using my phone with these programs and though I can use Google Earth it's not the same as using it on the computer and the crown land atlas won't fiction properly on a mobile device lol ... Unfortunately at the moment I'm SOL untill I can use someone else's internet to map the area lmao
Backroads map books has a decent app for free that works as a good base to work from. its a good topo map, but then there is a $3.50 per month subscription for the extra layers that show crown land, trails, reserves, and whatnot.

Reactions: RVA Overland

RVA Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Rudolph
Member #

While this is not really an offroad trip, like most of weekend adventures, they do involve forest roads of varying difficulty. Without the Ranger these trips would be much more difficult. This trip was with my son, grouse hunting in George Washington National Forest. We were not successful in getting any grouse we did have a great day. Was not really prepared to video this trip but grabbed some while we were out hiking around the mountain. This trip was more about building the love of hunting in my son who passed his hunter education course during COVID. With the snow coming in this is probably our last wild bird hunt but will try to get a preserve hunt in later this winter.

RVA Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Rudolph
Member #

Finally got around to editing another video. It was another fishing trip but it was a cold one. It was 8 degrees when I got to where I was gonna fish, took a while but got into a few native brook trout. Playing with the Tenkara rod again, it is different but fun. Taking my wife out tomorrow to ty and get her into some fish.

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland