Launch Member

Member I

Southlake, TX, USA
First Name
Karan
Last Name
Narang
Member #

Just got the WeBoost Drive Reach and am wondering where other Jeep owners are mounting the external antenna. WeBoost recommends the hood, but the new JL’s have an aluminum hood and my hardtop is obviously fiber glass. Suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

As high as you can and with that little mag mount antenna the options are very limited... as you have noticed.
Since they are the same price I think you would be better served by the WeBoost Drive 4G-X OTR or maybe it would be possible to just purchase the antenna from the 4G-X OTR?
It's external antenna is larger and appears to use a typical CB antenna mount so any of the rear JL CB antenna mounts should work.
The 4G-X OTR antenna comes with a couple of extension shafts so you can get the antenna up higher.

Lifestyle Overland just released a video of their first impressions and mounting of the 4G-X OTR. Granted it's on a Toyota and not a Jeep...

NewTxJL

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Southlake, TX, USA
First Name
Karan
Last Name
Narang
Member #

As high as you can and with that little mag mount antenna the options are very limited... as you have noticed.
Since they are the same price I think you would be better served by the WeBoost Drive 4G-X OTR or maybe it would be possible to just purchase the antenna from the 4G-X OTR?
It's external antenna is larger and appears to use a typical CB antenna mount so any of the rear JL CB antenna mounts should work.
The 4G-X OTR antenna comes with a couple of extension shafts so you can get the antenna up higher.

Lifestyle Overland just released a video of their first impressions and mounting of the 4G-X OTR. Granted it's on a Toyota and not a Jeep...
I did consider that, but assumed a newer product likely has better technology and possibly better coverage. Also found a video on YouTube that did a comparison and found the Reach marginally better..

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Perhaps it is marginally better with the antenna mounted nicely on the roof.... mount that little antenna down next to the body and any little increase in performance will be lost plus likely much more.
It looks like you can get the larger antenna separately and it specifically mentions using it with the Drive Reach (470154).

Jeep backroads

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Shingletown, CA, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
King
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7tdk
Let us know how it works out. I’m not spending 500 dollars to just get one more bar. But if it’s a significant increase I’m in.

NewTxJL

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Southlake, TX, USA
First Name
Karan
Last Name
Narang
Member #

Let us know how it works out. I’m not spending 500 dollars to just get one more bar. But if it’s a significant increase I’m in.
I’m heading to Arizona for a trip this weekend and plan on putting it to the test, even if only with the magnetic mount. I’ll report back ASAP. Trying to find a good app to measure performance, but doesn’t seem to be much out there.

Reactions: Jeep backroads

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I've had my weBoost Drive 4G-X OTR for a year and three months and have had it all over the country, from the coast of Maine to the Mexican border.

If I have any service at all, it will typically double or triple it. Even when I don't think I have any service (I dont know what percentage it takes to show a single bar), it seems to help the phone cycle through and find a bar, then more.

One thing I have noticed with it, repeatedly, is that the 12v plug end could use some improvement. It sometimes will appear to be plugged in and on (red light on) but it is not all the way on, as in light is on but no power is going to the box (no green light). A touch and a fiddle makes it work; the red light actually gets brighter and the green light on the box lights up. Had that happen in two different 12v outlets, and may try a new dedicated outlet of a different type.

It is fairly directional inside and usually needs the body of the vehicle between the outside antenna and the smaller inside sending unit. I have my antenna up on the back of my van and the inside antenna tucked into the headliner between the front seats. If I have the rear doors closed it usually works better than if open. Their literature, or replies to others, suggest if there is not enough vehicle body between the two, it creates a feedback loop of sorts.

I attached my antenna to a larger, very rugged, magnetic mount meant for CB antennas. I know guys with fiberglass or aluminum surfaces who have attached a plate so a mag base would work for their various antenna needs.

Overall, it's been WELL worth the pesos spent. It's allowed me to be more in touch than previously. As someone who travels solo almost exclusively, that's important to me.

Jeep backroads

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Shingletown, CA, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
King
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7tdk
I've had my weBoost Drive 4G-X OTR for a year and three months and have had it all over the country, from the coast of Maine to the Mexican border.

If I have any service at all, it will typically double or triple it. Even when I don't think I have any service (I dont know what percentage it takes to show a single bar), it seems to help the phone cycle through and find a bar, then more.

One thing I have noticed with it, repeatedly, is that the 12v plug end could use some improvement. It sometimes will appear to be plugged in and on (red light on) but it is not all the way on, as in light is on but no power is going to the box (no green light). A touch and a fiddle makes it work; the red light actually gets brighter and the green light on the box lights up. Had that happen in two different 12v outlets, and may try a new dedicated outlet of a different type.

It is fairly directional inside and usually needs the body of the vehicle between the outside antenna and the smaller inside sending unit. I have my antenna up on the back of my van and the inside antenna tucked into the headliner between the front seats. If I have the rear doors closed it usually works better than if open. Their literature, or replies to others, suggest if there is not enough vehicle body between the two, it creates a feedback loop of sorts.

I attached my antenna to a larger, very rugged, magnetic mount meant for CB antennas. I know guys with fiberglass or aluminum surfaces who have attached a plate so a mag base would work for their various antenna needs.

Overall, it's been WELL worth the pesos spent. It's allowed me to be more in touch than previously. As someone who travels solo almost exclusively, that's important to me.
Thanks for that information.

Reactions: Road