Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Camping in the winter is an extreme exercise. As was mentioned in the other thread, the location and altitude has everything to do with it. Very few roads in the mountains other than the main arteries are open. Campgrounds are almost all closed. Winter is not a good time to venture out unless you are into snowshoeing or skiing.

Southern Utah can be open but there are no guarantees. Eastern Colorado can be open but is notorious for extreme snow events with drifts over 10 feet.

Even Moab which is extreme desert can be cold as hell and unpassable in the winter.

Nacho_t4r

Rank I

Member I

Lexington, SC, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Moreno
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Nacho
Camping in the winter is an extreme exercise. As was mentioned in the other thread, the location and altitude has everything to do with it. Very few roads in the mountains other than the main arteries are open. Campgrounds are almost all closed. Winter is not a good time to venture out unless you are into snowshoeing or skiing.

Southern Utah can be open but there are no guarantees. Eastern Colorado can be open but is notorious for extreme snow events with drifts over 10 feet.

Even Moab which is extreme desert can be cold as hell and unpassable in the winter.
Thanks a lot for the info! That helps a lot to plan out when and what time to make those trips out west

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Nacho_t4r

Rank I

Member I

Lexington, SC, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Moreno
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Nacho

Around March-April would be a better time to go through, the springtime?

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
1595971442713.png
I'M not in any way saying it isn't pretty in the winter and great to just take the major roads, but if you are not equipped for extremes, even finding a place to pull off the roads is tough for even us locals. My rig has a diesel powered forced air heater and with the insulation, I have stayed out in -40f temps. Anywhere near the ski areas can net a $250+ a night simple motel room. In the winter I always travel with two sets of tire chains and my sat phone.

Reactions: Nacho_t4r

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
How’s the weather in the winter in CO and UT? Plan on making the trip in the winter out there from the East
I was considering a southern route next Spring and working north as the weather warmed. Think there are any fish in N.M., Arizona?

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Around March-April would be a better time to go through, the springtime?
This depends on your destination. It would be a good time for say, Moab, but too soon for the high elevation trails of CO.

Nacho_t4r

Rank I

Member I

Lexington, SC, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Moreno
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Nacho
How’s the weather in the winter in CO and UT? Plan on making the trip in the winter out there from the East
I was considering a southern route next Spring and working north as the weather warmed. Think there are any fish in N.M., Arizona?
Possibly, no doubt always have to have the rod and reel on all trips at all times

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
I was in the Red River, NM and was shocked to learn that the state no longer stocks the steams outside the city limits of Red River. When I was a kid, they stock even the smallest of streams.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Oh and they have three types of trout waters too. Red, Green and Xmas so read up on those and i had to ask about some streams cause the markings by the streams can be confusing at times.