lucferros

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Gregor
Member #

The wife and I are planning our first overlanding trip for late may (24th to 27th) and I’m wondering what conditions are that early in the season for the first section (Stevenson to Packwood). We are then going to break off from the second part to head to Bear Lake. What might I expect for snow on this route. Is there an elevation height that I should expect to hit snow? I’ll be in a stock 2018 Ram 1500 and just want to make sure I’m not biting off more than I can chew. I have recover boards but can’t afford a bumper and winch yet. Do folks bring tire chains typically?

Thanks ahead of time and appreciate any advice.

ecrissman

Rank IV

Traveler III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Crissman
Member #

You might find that the WA crowd on OB is kind of sparse. Check out WABDR and Washington Overland groups on Facebook. There are a lot of great folks who I’m sure could help you with questions and planning. I haven’t been on Section 1 in May, but typically late June through September are safest to avoid blocked routes with snow. This is a good resource too: Washington Backcountry Discovery Route (WABDR) Map & Information

I’m planning a trip for July, starting at the OR border and seeing how far I can get. I highly recommend AT tires if you don’t have them. And some type of sat com if you’ll be the only rig. There are some roads where airing down is really helpful for a nicer ride. Good luck!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The wife and I are planning our first overlanding trip for late may (24th to 27th) and I’m wondering what conditions are that early in the season for the first section (Stevenson to Packwood). We are then going to break off from the second part to head to Bear Lake. What might I expect for snow on this route. Is there an elevation height that I should expect to hit snow? I’ll be in a stock 2018 Ram 1500 and just want to make sure I’m not biting off more than I can chew. I have recover boards but can’t afford a bumper and winch yet. Do folks bring tire chains typically?

In May, most of the WABDR is still going to be snow locked. We had a large group run it from start to end at the end of June 2020 and not all of them were able to finish due to snow and mud. IIRC section 2 took them 2 days with the first day only able to make about 4 miles.
You can read all about it below.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
You might find that the WA crowd on OB is kind of sparse. Check out WABDR and Washington Overland groups on Facebook. There are a lot of great folks who I’m sure could help you with questions and planning. I haven’t been on Section 1 in May, but typically late June through September are safest to avoid blocked routes with snow. This is a good resource too: Washington Backcountry Discovery Route (WABDR) Map & Information

I’m planning a trip for July, starting at the OR border and seeing how far I can get. I highly recommend AT tires if you don’t have them. And some type of sat com if you’ll be the only rig. There are some roads where airing down is really helpful for a nicer ride. Good luck!
Washington crowd sparse? Check out the Greater Seattle Area Virtual Campfire and the Tri-Cities clubhouse. Also several monthly meetups a crossed the state. There is a large OB presence all a crossed the state.

Reactions: Ubiety

ecrissman

Rank IV

Traveler III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Crissman
Member #

Washington crowd sparse? Check out the Greater Seattle Area Virtual Campfire and the Tri-Cities clubhouse. Also several monthly meetups a crossed the state. There is a large OB presence all a crossed the state.
Maybe sparse was the wrong word. I just haven’t found either of those threads to be super active. I’d love to know more though about meetups and how members can be more directly engaged with people in their region. I point out the FB groups because there are hundreds of members and daily activity in any number of topics. This forum imho, doesn’t offer the easiest to use features for conversation.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Maybe sparse was the wrong word. I just haven’t found either of those threads to be super active. I’d love to know more though about meetups and how members can be more directly engaged with people in their region. I point out the FB groups because there are hundreds of members and daily activity in any number of topics. This forum imho, doesn’t offer the easiest to use features for conversation.
It’s hard to get members to post in the Northwest Region forums. Send me a DM

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I can't speak for section 1 of the BDR but I have been across section 2 multiple times in mid to late May and there is always snow and mud. I wouldn't suggest section 2 for a stock pickup during that time. What is your plan for access to Bear lake? Are you going up HWY 12 to Oak creek and then back tracking in?

lucferros

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Gregor
Member #

I can't speak for section 1 of the BDR but I have been across section 2 multiple times in mid to late May and there is always snow and mud. I wouldn't suggest section 2 for a stock pickup during that time. What is your plan for access to Bear lake? Are you going up HWY 12 to Oak creek and then back tracking in?
Yep that’s the plan. It gets up to 4k elevation though so not sure where the snow cutoff is during that time of the season

ferros

Rank I

Contributor II

Washington, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Gregor

In May, most of the WABDR is still going to be snow locked. We had a large group run it from start to end at the end of June 2020 and not all of them were able to finish due to snow and mud. IIRC section 2 took them 2 days with the first day only able to make about 4 miles.
You can read all about it below.
Thanks for this info!

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Yep that’s the plan. It gets up to 4k elevation though so not sure where the snow cutoff is during that time of the season
If you're taking Oak Creek rd. into Bear lake from hwy 12 it "should" be passable that time of year. There is a few ways down to the lake from up on Bethel ridge, but the two I've been on I probably wouldn't take a stock pickup. Not sure what the third (NF1400) is like. I usually go camp in the area of section 2 in early to mid May so if I remember and am near by I can check out the roads. When I camp in that area mid May I usually try to find a spot around 3500' to avoid snow and cold temps at night. If you are going at the end of May you might be good around 4000' depending on what we have for weather.

Reactions: Ubiety and ferros

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Last summer we did the WABDR Sections 1-3. Started July 13th 2021. We loved Section 1 and went back in August to explore the area more.

I have seen a lot of post of people stuck in the snow in June in the WABDR Section 1. So we are planning to start Section 1 this year the last weekend of June hoping the roads are passable.

Here are photos of Bear Lake May 8, 2021.

There was snow above on Bethel Ridge WABDB Section 2. We came up from Oak Creek Feeding Station and then dropped down the steep trail to Bear Lake. Photos at Photos: EWE Oak Creek Wildlife Area 4x4 Trip - Eastern Washington Expeditions - Offroad & Overland

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
A group of us did the WABDR 2 years ago, we started June 15th iirc. We did encounter snow on section 1, made it through but not without a couple of tries for some of us. I probably would have turned around if I was alone.

Our biggest challenge was getting into the woods at Bethel Ridge. We pretty much spent a day in the mud, making it only from the ridge to Bear Lake on day 2.

We didn't have any snow or mud problems after that, but I would expect to run into challenges around Sugarloaf and between Ardenvoir and Lake Chelan if I was going in May.

Here's a picture from our camp at Bethel Ridge.
IMG_2082.JPG

Reactions: Ubiety and Ceg

lucferros

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Gregor
Member #

A group of us did the WABDR 2 years ago, we started June 15th iirc. We did encounter snow on section 1, made it through but not without a couple of tries for some of us. I probably would have turned around if I was alone.

Our biggest challenge was getting into the woods at Bethel Ridge. We pretty much spent a day in the mud, making it only from the ridge to Bear Lake on day 2.

We didn't have any snow or mud problems after that, but I would expect to run into challenges around Sugarloaf and between Ardenvoir and Lake Chelan if I was going in May.

Here's a picture from our camp at Bethel Ridge.
View attachment 224871
Yeah we plan on getting to bear lake from the east where the herd lookout area is. Hoping to avoid the ridge.

A big thank you to everyone who replied on this thread. Really saved us from ruining our first trip.

ArJayDubbaU

Rank V

Traveler III

New Hampshire, USA
First Name
Reggie
Last Name
Winterburn
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Last summer we did the WABDR Sections 1-3. Started July 13th 2021. We loved Section 1 and went back in August to explore the area more.

I have seen a lot of post of people stuck in the snow in June in the WABDR Section 1. So we are planning to start Section 1 this year the last weekend of June hoping the roads are passable.

Here are photos of Bear Lake May 8, 2021.

There was snow above on Bethel Ridge WABDB Section 2. We came up from Oak Creek Feeding Station and then dropped down the steep trail to Bear Lake. Photos at Photos: EWE Oak Creek Wildlife Area 4x4 Trip - Eastern Washington Expeditions - Offroad & Overland
A friend of mine and I are starting Section 1 WABDR that same weekend, probably Sun the 26th. Good luck to you. Fingers are crossed for little remaining snow. We’re on ADV’s for this trip. I‘ll put up SITREPs if anyone wants them. We’re going to run it to the end in Night Hawk.

Reactions: Ceg

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I just haven’t found either of those threads to be super active. I’d love to know more though about meetups and how members can be more directly engaged with people in their region.
Get involved and help make them active! OB will be better off for it - you might find that you get invited to "private" events if folks are aware of you and your positive contributions!
You can look at OB's Rally Point feature to create events or find out about local events that that others are planning.

Last edited:

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
As others have stated May might/will provide some snow and mud - if you are going this early you might consider MT tires, especially around Bethel Ridge. As @mtn (and others) have stated we made 4 miles through the "mud pits" in one day on our way out of the Bethel Ridge area. If I remember correctly we also hit deep snow before Bethel Ridge that was easy enough to get through but did cause some contemplating before "sending it" (as the kids would say). Overall the WABDR is pretty easy going but early wetness can be an issue on the first couple of sections (starting in Stevenson).

Are you going solo without a winch? If so I would take it slowly and not be afraid to turn around and take a bypass. If Bethel Ridge is anything like it was for the 2020 trip recovery boards will not help. If I remember correctly there is an easier bypass for getting around Bethel Ridge; I'll take a look in my archives and get back at you.

Snow well before Bethel Ridge
IMG_2181.jpeg

Highlights of the post Bethel Ridge mud pits. Wish I had more photos/video but we were mired and working hard to get the group through.

IMG_2229.jpeg IMG_2240.jpeg IMG_2239.jpeg IMG_2242.jpeg

A slide show like video from the 2020 trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: lucferros and Ceg

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Also, you might consider taking a chainsaw for early season trail clearing ;) I have not been on the bypass but understand it is easier; YMMV...

Mud was here-ish: 46.72057, -121.06345
Our Bethel Ridge camp was here: 46.71541, -121.08538

Bethel Ridge Mud Pit Bypass

GPX viewer

Attachments

Last edited: