First Name
Dennis
Last Name
Grimes
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6RPX
Service Branch
US Navy Retired
I’ve had a CB for a while (old school), but realize that most common method it seems is GMRS, so….we got comms!!

And, a license - WPRD848.
Mike:
You're right. CB is "old school" from a performance and range standpoint. It can still work for short range trail and convoy coordination. Since we've been Jeeping for decades, I have a pile of older CBs and GMRS radios (self use and loaners for trail guest vehicles). New GMRS radios have much more (legal) power and range than older GMRS (or CB radios). 2-meter Ham radios are great for emergency LEO/FIRE/EMS coordination since they are repeater capable - it's worth the effort to study for and take the exam - to get a FCC Ham license. Just remember to use the power you need to reach those you must talk to - but don't waste or abuse transmit power, you're cluttering/denying airways use to others.

New GMRS radios can also leverage GMRS capable repeaters that are out there. So - If you have an old GMRS radio (or an old CB radio) it's somewhat obsolete or definitely obsolete now, so recommend saving up for an upgrade to a current GMRS radio.

Reactions: RMCM

CubbyXL7

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Central Texas, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Jenkins
Member #

I’ve had a CB for a while (old school), but realize that most common method it seems is GMRS, so….we got comms!!

Mike:
You're right. CB is "old school" from a performance and range standpoint. It can still work for short range trail and convoy coordination. Since we've been Jeeping for decades, I have a pile of older CBs and GMRS radios (self use and loaners for trail guest vehicles). New GMRS radios have much more (legal) power and range than older GMRS (or CB radios). 2-meter Ham radios are great for emergency LEO/FIRE/EMS coordination since they are repeater capable - it's worth the effort to study for and take the exam - to get a FCC Ham license. Just remember to use the power you need to reach those you must talk to - but don't waste or abuse transmit power, you're cluttering/denying airways use to others.

New GMRS radios can also leverage GMRS capable repeaters that are out there. So - If you have an old GMRS radio (or an old CB radio) it's somewhat obsolete or definitely obsolete now, so recommend saving up for an upgrade to a current GMRS radio.
All good advice and input. Was a Jeeper for about 10 years (89 YJ). And the CB was the go to. Have had handheld GMRS /FRS for a few years for camping / hiking / SHTF. Decided to move up to the Motorola MXT 275 for some more range and commonality.

HAM is on the to do list. Nearing retirement and want to get involved in disaster relief / recovery and want to be a comm asset - or at least have the capability.

Was a radio repairman as enlisted Marine and then Naval Flight Officer in the Marine Corps. Comms are key to effective operations.

Again, appreciate the input.

Pragmatic

Rank I

Contributor I

Florida, USA
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
Grimes
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6RPX
Service Branch
US Navy Retired
All good advice and input. Was a Jeeper for about 10 years (89 YJ). And the CB was the go to. Have had handheld GMRS /FRS for a few years for camping / hiking / SHTF. Decided to move up to the Motorola MXT 275 for some more range and commonality.

HAM is on the to do list. Nearing retirement and want to get involved in disaster relief / recovery and want to be a comm asset - or at least have the capability.

Was a radio repairman as enlisted Marine and then Naval Flight Officer in the Marine Corps. Comms are key to effective operations.

I salute your service. Everyone loves the Marines - The Marines do more, with less, than of any of the services. They often get hand-me-down equipment from the Navy and Army, and they just make it work! From an old Navy guy - Semper Fi!

CubbyXL7

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Central Texas, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Jenkins
Member #

I salute your service. Everyone loves the Marines - The Marines do more, with less, than of any of the services. They often get hand-me-down equipment from the Navy and Army, and they just make it work! From an old Navy guy - Semper Fi!
Semper Fi, Navy!

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Along the same lines is Skywarn storm spotting. Clubs may activate skywarn nets during a chance of severe/tornadic weather or at least here in Oklahoma a handful of clubs do. If that's something you might be interested in.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Along the same lines is Skywarn storm spotting. Clubs may activate skywarn nets during a chance of severe/tornadic weather or at least here in Oklahoma a handful of clubs do. If that's something you might be interested in.
The ARES affiliated ham clubs do as well in central Texas.

Reactions: CubbyXL7

CubbyXL7

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Central Texas, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Jenkins
Member #

The ARES affiliated ham clubs do as well in central Texas.
We can talk more at the Rally Point meet up.

RMCM

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Bellevue, NE, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Esquibel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5FMF
Service Branch
USMC/USN

Mike:

If you are looking for disaster relief/recovery after your retirement, take a look at Team Rubicon, and when you get your ham license take a look at ARES.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
The local HAM club runs SKYWARN around here. I've activated a few times from the house but rarely driven anywhere they've just asked for my report from my QTH.

We haven't regularly used hand me down equipment for a long time. A ton of our stuff is almost USMC specific even down to our uniforms and standard rifles. MARPAT, CH53 helicopters, V22s (only recently started to get used by the Navy and Japanese SDF)LAVs, AAVs, M16A4s (while you can find this model in other branches it was standard issue for E5 and below Marines until the M27 came along, which is yet another thing no one else but Marines use), even our Y and Z models Hueys and Cobras are new builds that no one else uses.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

What antenna specifically is that, please? Midland's site for the 115, 275 and 400 show a short whip type. Same for RightChannel.

CubbyXL7

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Central Texas, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Jenkins
Member #

[/QUOTE]

What antenna specifically is that, please? Midland's site for the 115, 275 and 400 show a short whip type. Same for RightChannel.[/QUOTE]

It’s the Midland Ghost 3db. I got the same small antenna with the 275. It comes with the package.

Got the Ghost on Amazon. Be sure you buy the lip mount bracket as well.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

What antenna specifically is that, please? Midland's site for the 115, 275 and 400 show a short whip type. Same for RightChannel.[/QUOTE]

It’s the Midland Ghost 3db. I got the same small antenna with the 275. It comes with the package.

Got the Ghost on Amazon. Be sure you buy the lip mount bracket as well.
[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Cubby