We are new here from the Phoenix AZ area.

• HTML tutorial

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Hi all, we are from Mesa AZ and new here. We have been in AZ for about 4 years and moved here from the Chicago area. And yes we should have done it years ago.

Our adventures started when the kids were little with a popup camper, when the kids got bigger the misses and I had time to do our own thing. I got a KLR for some dual sporting, well the KLR is like a gateway drug and wasn't the best for two-up. So next came a KTM 990 Adventure. We did a lot of camping trips off that in the midwest. A few back and knee injuries has made it harder it enjoy very long rides but hope to be getting back on the KTM soon.

When we got to AZ we knew the Jetta wasn't going to cut it out here. Sold it and got a 2015 JKUR. And we have been loving it. Other than a little bigger tries it is stock and it will go everywhere we ask it to go. I am not big in buying accessories that you are lucky to get 10 cents on the dollar return. At some point we will but the Jeep isn't the only hobby and we haven't won the lottery yet.

It has been getting tougher camping in a tent on the ground with getting older and the back problems, so Meg what can we do and that no way was she doing to sleep in a RTT. I said what about a teardrop camper? We looked at some different styles and she liked the traditional rounded look. Found a plan we liked and changed it to what we wanted.
IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

So this is where I'm at now, we are getting there. The plan was for a full blown off-road teardrop but we started adding more comfort and that means weight. And we are not hardcore off-roaders so it will be a more mild off-roader.

We are hoping to find a few other couples with similar trailer and tow vehicle and wanting to do some weekend and longer trips.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Welcome! We have a strong membership here in AZ and it's getting stronger every day. Come say hi in the Arizona Overlanders thread as well, there's quite a bit of trip coordination and local event notices that get posted in there.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
i'm also looking forward to following progress on that camper. looks like it's gonna be great!

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

Hello there!

From Mesa myself but on the west side near Country Club and Guadalupe. I am working on an offroad trailer right now and eventually hope to have a RTT on it. Only had it a week so haven't even done a shakedown run on it yet.

Wife and I are looking for others to travel with as well!

Reactions: Todd & Meg

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Hello there!

From Mesa myself but on the west side near Country Club and Guadalupe. I am working on an offroad trailer right now and eventually hope to have a RTT on it. Only had it a week so haven't even done a shakedown run on it yet.

Wife and I are looking for others to travel with as well!
Nice, I'm still getting a feel for the forum but maybe we can setup a meet up at a local spot and see if there are other couples that would want to plan some trips.

Todd

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

Nice, I'm still getting a feel for the forum but maybe we can setup a meet up at a local spot and see if there are other couples that would want to plan some trips.

Todd
There is an on-going "Rally Point" aka meetup at the Tempe Marketplace, but I have never made it and hear there turn out is low, if any at all.

On the same date of each month, Desert Rat in Tempe on Rural has a morning event Coffee and Crawlers. I've gone to that a few times and have suggested we start meeting up there. The event at the marketplace is early evening and I am usually busy.

But yeah, It would be great to meet some other local members.