We are driving around the world. Right now.

• HTML tutorial

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Overlanding is really about the experiences not the vehicles. If you don't understand that you are missing what makes the lifestyle worth living.

Right now on our overlanding journey around the world we are in Guanajuato, Mexico. We'll be here for a total of 45 days. As such we decided to share the Top 10 Places To Eat in Guanajuato as our next video.

If you want to be enticed to come to Mexico, this ought to do it for you. ~ Eric

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Here it is! Our Top 10 Tips for Driving Through Mexico.

In this video we tackle the 10 questions we get asked the most about overlanding or driving through Mexico.

Hope this is helpful and if you have a question that isn't covered, please don't hesitate to comment and I'll do my best to answer you. ~ Eric

#hourlesslife #overlanding #visitmexico #mexico

Reactions: Kent R and leeloo

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

I'll be doing a livestream Thursday December 30 at 7PM central from Guanajuato, Mexico.

Overlanding is NOT about the vehicle, the rooftop tent, or the destination.

What it is about is the journey.

We're overlanding around the world and if you want to see one of the coolest cities we've ever been to, we'd love to have you join us live with your questions about this incredible city.

#overlanding #fulltimetravel #Guanajuato

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

To all my friends who have been encouraging me with trying to figure out a way to livestream while on this global journey thank you. It has been quite a ride of discovery. Here are my thoughts if you care to read them:

Update after livestream:

So it went really well from certain standpoints and not so well from others. I've tried everything I can to make this work and learned a lot in the process.

Ultimately I've decided that I'm done with livestreaming on this global journey unless we are streaming directly to an audience just the two of us (floating head style) with blazing internet.

It was worth a try though and while my video that went up was somewhat watchable and we got a ton of great comments. The quality of the video playback were still issues.

Like I said, I learned a lot in this process so it wasn't a wasted effort.

But ultimately I just want to make better videos that are easy to watch and keep the attention of the viewer. I want to increase my click through rate and average watch time. That's it. This is what allows us to share this journey with more people and that is what we want for folks who are interested to be able to join the journey with us.

So I'm going to try and focus on that. Appreciate all of your support through this experimentation of the livestream process for us. ~ Eric

Merlinio

Rank 0

Contributor I

United States
First Name
Lars
Last Name
Merlin
Here is the higher quality video version of our livestream in Guanajuato, Mexico. This is what I was hoping it would look like, but the lag from being live made the original video choppy.

Worth a watch to check out Guanajuato, Mexico. ~ E
Since you put a soul in your video... It is very interesting to watch what you are showing and saying. Thanks!

P.S. Will put a like on youtube as well.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Here is the higher quality video version of our livestream in Guanajuato, Mexico. This is what I was hoping it would look like, but the lag from being live made the original video choppy.

Worth a watch to check out Guanajuato, Mexico. ~ E
Since you put a soul in your video... It is very interesting to watch what you are showing and saying. Thanks!

P.S. Will put a like on youtube as well.
Thank you. These videos are a lot of work and I appreciate the encouragement. ~ Eric

Reactions: Kent R

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

So for years the folks who have been following us have been asking for video.

Like a brick wall, I've refused to budge on the issue.

There are several reasons for my reluctancy if I'm honest:

1. Skill: I don't have the skill or the know how to edit video. Sure I can push a record button, but that's about as far as I've been willing (or able) to take it.
2. Priorities: I've always wanted to be present where we are, and not miss the special moments for the sake of having to capture footage. Simply put I haven't wanted to live my life through a lens.
3. Time: When I say we travel fulltime, I mean we move. Last year we spent the night in over 150 different locations in a single year spanning 3 countries, and thousands upon thousands of miles. I've always been concerned about how much time I'll have to spend editing video to make something worth watching.
4. Space and Weight: Because we travel fulltime as a family of 3, we are very conscientious everything we add to the vehicle. We have to be four season ready and terrain ready 100% of the time. So space is at a premium in our rig and weight of any equipment we add goes against our spreadsheet for payload considerations.

BUT...

Now, as you mentioned, we are getting ready to drive around the world. And one of my friends mentioned how nice it is to have photos (of which we have thousands upon thousands) but he also said that we're missing the gem of recording our journey for our son who has been a fulltime traveler since birth and he may appreciate having a recording of his parents investing this time in him, and the adventures he had as a child. That struck a heartstring with me. Maybe I was just being too selfish and lazy and making up excuses as to why not to do video. But maybe my concerns also had legitimacy.

Either way, I've decided to take baby steps into video. So we'll see what happens, But I still wanted to make sure that I addressed my above listed concerns. So here's what I'm going to try, and why I've picked the gear that I'll be using in the attempt at getting into video. Don't hold your breath, it isn't that impressive.

Bottom line, whatever gear we use has to be small and compact, it has to be fairly monkeyproof when it came to editing, and it has to not be a chore, but hopefully a hobby that i could get into while on the road.

Video Camera: DJI Osmo Pocket (the original often referred to as Osmo Pocket 1)
Second Camera iPhone X: My "B" roll camera (don't judge me)
Video Editing Software: iMovie (It's free on my Macbook Pro, and I've heard it's fairly easy to use. I think they are talking about people who already have some sort of basic video editing knowledge. It doesn't look that simple to me, but I'm willing to try and go through some tutorials online about how to use it.)

My wife bought me the Osmo Pocket over a year ago and to be honest it has literally just collected dust. But after my convo with my friend about doing it for our son, there was a spark of interest on my part.

So I'm going to give it a go. I'm going to see what I can do with it. But again, we'll see how it goes. We don't do what we do to be instafamous or popular. We do what we do because we choose this lifestyle and want to experience it. But as I stated in my opening introduction, part of our heart is to share. So I'm really hoping that we'll be able to add some video to the documentation of our articles.

Having said all of this, if anyone reads my drivel and has a really good iMovie tutorial for complete noobs to video editing, I'd appreciate a link!

~ Eric
yep, I like a good book way more than a youtube video
video shorts are cool but photos in a journal are way more engaging

but.... as full timers needing sponsorship you likely need the youtube link

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

yep, I like a good book way more than a youtube video
video shorts are cool but photos in a journal are way more engaging

but.... as full timers needing sponsorship you likely need the youtube link
Actually we have no commitments to do YouTube for any of our 27 sponsors. We CHOOSE to share the journey because we feel that an overland journey around the globe is a story worth telling.
We've also been blogging in written form for quite some time. All of our articles are at hourlesslife.com if you prefer to read rather than watch. ~ E

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Our global overlanding journey continues. On this week's episode we take you to see the Monarch butterflies in Mexico. This may be the highlight of the entire trip into Mexico.

#overlanding #hourlesslife #monarchbutterflies

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Something I posted on my LinkedIn recently. Might be worth a read for some:

“Everyone is talking about that next job on LinkedIn and we’re over here driving around the world.
At some point in life it dawned on me that life wasn’t about the next career move or material possessions but rather about memories, experiences, and the legacy left behind.

This may be an unpopular thing to say on this platform, but let’s talk truth.

What is it you are working for or towards? We each get only one shot around. What are you doing and to what end?

Are you truly pursuing something fulfilling or are you living a life trying to hit a bar that is expected of you by society or your peers?

Are you trying to keep up with others and measure up to some invented measure of success?
Is this really what you want out of life?

Just something worth thinking on.”

#hourlesslife

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

“Everyone is talking about that next job on LinkedIn and we’re over here driving around the world.
At some point in life it dawned on me that life wasn’t about the next career move or material possessions but rather about memories, experiences, and the legacy left behind.

What is it you are working for or towards? We each get only one shot around. What are you doing and to what end?

Are you truly pursuing something fulfilling or are you living a life trying to hit a bar that is expected of you by society or your peers?

Are you trying to keep up with others and measure up to some invented measure of success?

#hourlesslife
This is great. Makes me wonder and want to ask you, where does your income come from?

Reactions: Hourless Life

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I just caught up on your updates thanks for all you do! There is ton's of work going on behind all this content. Thanks so much.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

For those who want an in-depth look at our vehicle "DAUNTLESS" we've put together the full build sheet in article form.

As of this writing we are currently in Puebla, Mexico 13 kilometers from our southern terminus in 2019. Very soon we'll be heading south again and this time we'll just keep heading south.

#hourlesslife #overlanding #fulltimetravel

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

This is great. Makes me wonder and want to ask you, where does your income come from?
This is the question we get asked most frequently. So we've written an article that answers the question in-depth. You can find that here. If you have any questions that aren't answered here, I'm happy to field them.

~ Eric

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

I just caught up on your updates thanks for all you do! There is ton's of work going on behind all this content. Thanks so much.
Really appreciate that Mike. It is a lot of work to put this stuff out there, but it is also a blessing that this is all we do now. Well, that and drive around the world. ~ Eric

Reactions: MMc

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia

#hourlesslife
Good question - in our case it's a combination of assuring retirement, and enjoying life now. So - we (pre-pandemic) had successfully reached the point of a rotation - work a year and fill the piggybank, travel a year. So 2019 was 10 months in Australia and 1 month in SE Asia. Obviously the pandemic has put a dent in that, however all being well we'll make a "big trip" this year.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams

#hourlesslife
I always say this as well. I have to take a sales position while I am working on getting everything up and running business wise here. Sucks I know....but alot of crap happened during the pandemic for us. I have to get some things paid off and we are back on track with fully self sufficient home based work.