We’re Stumped! Cargo Drawer Hardware Ideas?

• HTML tutorial

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

We’re looking for hardware ideas on how to secure a bank of drawers to a base plate we’re developing for our ’17 4R. What are you using? We’re hitting a mental block and desperately need some ideas and inspiration.

An idea we’re working on is recessing a C channel into the base and having hardware on the bottom of the drawers that will slide in, securing the whole thing with a type of pin. The C channel is a no brainer to obtain but the sliding hardware has us stumped.

The goal is to have a system that will allow the drawer module to go in and out easily and quickly. The driver’s side will be taken up by our fridge, held in with a commercial slider. The “chest of drawers’ will be on the left half, height of about 24”, depth will take it to the back of the backseat.

Below is a pic of the base prototype we're working off of.

DSC_0002.JPG

Reactions: Jimmy P

Justin Demayo

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

Carmel Valley, CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Demayo
Member #

Check out McMaster-Carr (https://www.mcmaster.com)... they have tons of hardware on there that might spark an idea.

I just bought a bunch of 8020 T-Slot framing for a similar project. Wanted to raise and secure my fridge slide in a certain way and this helped.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

We’re looking for hardware ideas on how to secure a bank of drawers to a base plate we’re developing for our ’17 4R. What are you using? We’re hitting a mental block and desperately need some ideas and inspiration.

An idea we’re working on is recessing a C channel into the base and having hardware on the bottom of the drawers that will slide in, securing the whole thing with a type of pin. The C channel is a no brainer to obtain but the sliding hardware has us stumped.

The goal is to have a system that will allow the drawer module to go in and out easily and quickly. The driver’s side will be taken up by our fridge, held in with a commercial slider. The “chest of drawers’ will be on the left half, height of about 24”, depth will take it to the back of the backseat.

View attachment 84085
Is that similar to the GooseGear?

Zeak

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Garden City
Member #

View attachment 84085

View attachment 84085
This is how I did my 4runner. My be it might be a idea. Hooks to the floor by angle iron.

Attachments

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Interesting project. A couple questions:
- How thick is the base plate, 3/4"?
- Do the cabinets need to slide in and out, or can they be installed and then bolted down?

One easy solution you have probably considered is to mount T-nuts on the bottom of the base plate and then using knurled knobs to bolt through the cabinets. The big benefits with this solution are price, and strength since the t-nuts don't require a deep recess into the plate.

You could also embed cargo track (c channel) into the base plate, but that would require a dado of about 1/2 the thickness which would weaken the plate. You could sandwich a strip of 1/8" aluminum on the back to reinforce things. Then you could then slide some t-bolts into the track.

The cargo track solution is flexible since you can position the bolts where ever you want, but is that a requirement? If you know exactly where the mounts need to go T-nuts might be the easiest solution.

Reactions: Boort