Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
When I have camped in a RTT in the winter, the temperature drops down below freezing, and I tend to get a little cold at night.

How do you guys keep you and your family warm in your RTTs when you camp in the cold?

I've heard of 12v Blankets, Mr Buddy Heaters, Diesel Heaters, but I don't want to spend money on something that doesn't work.

Thank you for your time and your help!

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

We have an AT Habitat and have tried various Mr. Buddy Heaters and too much condensation and wife did not like the very slight propane smell (I'll leave out the CO debate). We ended up building a Propex propane heater in a box, it works really well, a little noisy and given that there is no insulation in a tent, it runs a lot, but It did keep us warm. At least there are some good options for insulating a RTT.

I did remember a thread on this forum - Best way to keep a RTT warm in the winter. - consensus is that diesel heaters are pretty good.

Reactions: Reddog and Randun

Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
We have an AT Habitat and have tried various Mr. Buddy Heaters and too much condensation and wife did not like the very slight propane smell (I'll leave out the CO debate). We ended up building a Propex propane heater in a box, it works really well, a little noisy and given that there is no insulation in a tent, it runs a lot, but It did keep us warm. At least there are some good options for insulating a RTT.

I did remember a thread on this forum - Best way to keep a RTT warm in the winter. - consensus is that diesel heaters are pretty good.
Thank you so much for your review. I really, really appreciate it.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
only thing i ever used in a tent was the buddy heater. if we tent camp, we generally have a fire going and while there might be a propane smell from the heater...im usually smelling like smoke pretty bad so its not a problem. if the cold is so bad its a serious problem, i will either use our camp trailer or get a room...i dont see the need to freeze when camping

Reactions: Reddog and Randun

Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
only thing i ever used in a tent was the buddy heater. if we tent camp, we generally have a fire going and while there might be a propane smell from the heater...im usually smelling like smoke pretty bad so its not a problem. if the cold is so bad its a serious problem, i will either use our camp trailer or get a room...i dont see the need to freeze when camping
Any pros or cons of your buddy heater?

I don't have a camp trailer, and the places that I usually camp in are far away from any type of room.

So I'm looking for solutions when camping is your only option.

Thank you so much for your time and your help!

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Any pros or cons of your buddy heater?
yeah. there's already a couple threads on here relating to the buddy heaters and some folk will lose their minds when talking about them, but i own one and use it and my experience has been good as far as heat and convenience goes...i do get a lot of condensate with it and of course good ventilation is a must.

i have watched a few YT vids about the diesel heaters and they do look like the best option to me...if i was cold weather camping, i would certainly try it. i did my time freezing in tents and now if its cold, ill take our tear-drop and at night, fire up the buddy heater to get it toasty then shut it off and get under some thick covers. fire the buddy up again in the morning to get the chill out. guess you could do that in a RTT as well. if youre going to do a lot of cold weather camping, i would seriously look hard at the diesel heaters

Reactions: Randun

Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
yeah. there's already a couple threads on here relating to the buddy heaters and some folk will lose their minds when talking about them, but i own one and use it and my experience has been good as far as heat and convenience goes...i do get a lot of condensate with it and of course good ventilation is a must.

i have watched a few YT vids about the diesel heaters and they do look like the best option to me...if i was cold weather camping, i would certainly try it. i did my time freezing in tents and now if its cold, ill take our tear-drop and at night, fire up the buddy heater to get it toasty then shut it off and get under some thick covers. fire the buddy up again in the morning to get the chill out. guess you could do that in a RTT as well. if youre going to do a lot of cold weather camping, i would seriously look hard at the diesel heaters
Thank you so much for your opinions! I really appreciate your time and your help.

Reactions: grubworm

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Diesel if you do a lot of cold weather camping, all the propane ones toss a huge amount of condensation if you run them, which can lead to ice inside or moisture issues.

There are lots of YT videos on setting them up, and the nice thing is it is a furnace so warm air only no combustion by-products. They use very little diesel for time run.

Reactions: Randun

Floverlanding

Rank II

Contributor III

Princeton, North Carolina, United States
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Flores
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
When I have camped in a RTT in the winter, the temperature drops down below freezing, and I tend to get a little cold at night.

How do you guys keep you and your family warm in your RTTs when you camp in the cold?

I've heard of 12v Blankets, Mr Buddy Heaters, Diesel Heaters, but I don't want to spend money on something that doesn't work.

Thank you for your time and your help!
We have a Mr. Buddy and it works too well. We have a Smittybilt XL and that little heater makes it sweltering. Looking at going to a diesel heater.

Reactions: srotier and Randun

Retired

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Discovery Bay, CA.
First Name
CJ
Last Name
H.
Member #

These work well. Keep the furnace outside, works like what you have at home using a heat exchanger. No gas smell. You bring outside air into the tent or teardrop. Outside air will produce less condensation like when you use the defrost in the car or truck you never recirculate, that causes the windows to fog up. Finding in the U.S. can be tough but companies here make them too.

Screenshot_20201210-174021_Chrome.jpg

egilbe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Biddeford, Maine, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Gilbert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFT263, HAM:
As someone who camps all Winter in Maine, I've never felt the need to heat a tent.
1. Eat before bed. Go to bed warm.
2. Get a good quality sleeping bag, or quilt. Manufacturers temp ratings are survival ratings, not comfort ratings. If a sleeping bag is rated for 30 degrees F, you'll be lucky if you're comfortable at 45 degrees F.
3. Fill a water bottle with hot water before bed. Not hot enough so it burns your skin, but hot enough to be uncomfortable to hold. Wrap a towel around it or put it in a spare sock and sleep with the water bottle between your legs.
4. Sleep in base layers. Sleeping bags and quilts are tested with the assumption that the sleeping person is wearing a hat and base layers.
5. Shake out and fluff up your quilt or sleeping bag. Being in a compression or stuff sack destroys the loft needed to keep your body warmth inside and not leaking out into the cold.
6. Be aware that compressing synthetic bags permanently destroys the loft of the fibers. Older the bag, the less warm it will be. Stick to down for maximum warmth.
7. Stack quilts or sleeping bags on top of each other, or inside each other for extra warmth.
8. Drape your jacket over your sleeping bag. Avoid crushing the loft in your bag by draping heavy blankets over you.
9. The insulation under you is as important as what's on top of you. Have an insulating layer under you.
10. Cuddle with your partner. Share that body heat.

Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
Diesel if you do a lot of cold weather camping, all the propane ones toss a huge amount of condensation if you run them, which can lead to ice inside or moisture issues.

There are lots of YT videos on setting them up, and the nice thing is it is a furnace so warm air only no combustion by-products. They use very little diesel for time run.
I'm leaning towards a diesel too. Not too stoked about caring extra fuel, but it seems like the best way to stay warm.

Thank you so much for your time and your help!

Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
These work well. Keep the furnace outside, works like what you have at home using a heat exchanger. No gas smell. You bring outside air into the tent or teardrop. Outside air will produce less condensation like when you use the defrost in the car or truck you never recirculate, that causes the windows to fog up. Finding in the U.S. can be tough but companies here make them too.

View attachment 179784
Interesting. I have not seen one of these before. I will check this out.

Thank you so much for your time!

Reactions: srotier

Randun

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Clemente, CA
First Name
Randun
Last Name
TheOneandOnly
As someone who camps all Winter in Maine, I've never felt the need to heat a tent.
1. Eat before bed. Go to bed warm.
2. Get a good quality sleeping bag, or quilt. Manufacturers temp ratings are survival ratings, not comfort ratings. If a sleeping bag is rated for 30 degrees F, you'll be lucky if you're comfortable at 45 degrees F.
3. Fill a water bottle with hot water before bed. Not hot enough so it burns your skin, but hot enough to be uncomfortable to hold. Wrap a towel around it or put it in a spare sock and sleep with the water bottle between your legs.
4. Sleep in base layers. Sleeping bags and quilts are tested with the assumption that the sleeping person is wearing a hat and base layers.
5. Shake out and fluff up your quilt or sleeping bag. Being in a compression or stuff sack destroys the loft needed to keep your body warmth inside and not leaking out into the cold.
6. Be aware that compressing synthetic bags permanently destroys the loft of the fibers. Older the bag, the less warm it will be. Stick to down for maximum warmth.
7. Stack quilts or sleeping bags on top of each other, or inside each other for extra warmth.
8. Drape your jacket over your sleeping bag. Avoid crushing the loft in your bag by draping heavy blankets over you.
9. The insulation under you is as important as what's on top of you. Have an insulating layer under you.
10. Cuddle with your partner. Share that body heat.
Great review!

Thank you so much for your tips. I really appreciate it!