DaveWheeler

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Medford, NJ, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AC2YQ
I had the same question not long ago. After doing some research, I decided to get the Zarges K470 series boxes. The common theme I read was that Pelican is bulky and heavy for the capacity, and Alu-box have the gasket on the box instead of the lid (could trap dirt and debris and begin to leak).
There are many, many, less expensive options for sure. Zarges ships very quickly, and offers 15% off if you’re military/veteran. They stack nicely in back of my 4Runner, but I can’t yet attest to how well they hold up on a roof rack.

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

Ridgecrest, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

I have been looking at a roof top box as well. Only my issue is that I do not want something to tall. Personally, my ideal height would be about 6-8" at the most. This way it stay low profile with the roof rack. It would be nice if there was a company that made something like an All-box or Zarges expect low profile, long, wide, and lots of dividers. My thinking its something like a waterproof dual rifle case. Of course it depends on what your plan on storing on the roof. I have had deep boxes on the roof before, being on the shorter end of the scale, digging to the bottom of a roof mounted box sucks! Those are my thoughts, if anyone finds anything I would love to see it.

Reactions: DaveWheeler

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

The Harbor Freight Apache cases are actually solid and nice for the money. I have one of their rifle cases. I also have 2 1600 Pelican cases which I found used on Craigslist pretty inexpensively.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I have been looking at a roof top box as well. Only my issue is that I do not want something to tall. Personally, my ideal height would be about 6-8" at the most. This way it stay low profile with the roof rack. It would be nice if there was a company that made something like an All-box or Zarges expect low profile, long, wide, and lots of dividers. My thinking its something like a waterproof dual rifle case. Of course it depends on what your plan on storing on the roof. I have had deep boxes on the roof before, being on the shorter end of the scale, digging to the bottom of a roof mounted box sucks! Those are my thoughts, if anyone finds anything I would love to see it.
Check out ROAM Overland boxes. The 95L is long and low. They also have a MOLLE panle insert for each box:

And a 2nd for the Apache rifle style case. They hold up well. One of the only HF products I use. Black or Tan:

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
can anyone recommend a waterproof case to put on my roof rack?
How big does it need to be. Not enough info in this post. Are you looking for a case for just one item or are you looking for something to go on the roof rack that will take up the majority of the space.

There's plenty of containers like these that go on the roof that can hold a slew load of stuff and they keep the weather out.

If all you need is something like a briefcase or the like then unless you are attached to a namebrand MCM, Harbor Frieght ect sell weatherproof boxes in various sizes for not a lot of money. Pelicans are nice but I don't need to drive over anything I own with a tank. The MCM and Harbor Freight cases will support my fat ass easily.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I recently added a Pelican Vault to my roof rack. I think it was from the 700 series - like 45” long. Don’t recall the exact model. It was just under $200. Not sure how waterproof it is relative to the regular Pelican cases. It doesn’t latch as tight as those. It is low profile, though.

684F1BE4-BEEF-4FD3-91EF-563BFAD3734B.jpeg

northern nomad

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Murrells Inlet, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Will
Last Name
Kearney
Member #

How big does it need to be. Not enough info in this post. Are you looking for a case for just one item or are you looking for something to go on the roof rack that will take up the majority of the space.

There's plenty of containers like these that go on the roof that can hold a slew load of stuff and they keep the weather out.

If all you need is something like a briefcase or the like then unless you are attached to a namebrand MCM, Harbor Frieght ect sell weatherproof boxes in various sizes for not a lot of money. Pelicans are nice but I don't need to drive over anything I own with a tank. The MCM and Harbor Freight cases will support my fat ass easily.
i'm looking for a catch all to put on my roof rack for items that i don't need to get to often

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
How much space do yo have to work with now? Do you have stuff up there already like a tent or anything?

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Plano rifle cases work great too.
I love my Plano box's. Light weight and well priced. The larger ones don't say waterproof but I've had mine on my rack with hard rain on the freeway and no leak. Some people run a thin weather strip inside the lid to ensure this.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Check out ROAM Overland boxes. The 95L is long and low. They also have a MOLLE panle insert for each box:

And a 2nd for the Apache rifle style case. They hold up well. One of the only HF products I use. Black or Tan:
For Canadians, I have no name boxes from Princess Auto that look pretty much like the Apache boxes from Harbor Freight.

Reactions: Downs

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Pelican has a new series called CARGO coming out that seems targeted at the overlanding crowd and they honestly look outstanding. They have full line of sizes and bracket options that will allow you to mount them just about anywhere. They are basically their equivalent of Roam's rotomolded cases.

Probably not cheap but I'd imagine the quality is top notch. I have Pelican and Hardigg cases for all my gear and they have never failed me in any way. If I were in the market, I'd be waiting to see how these pan out.

BchBum11511

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Pelican has a new series called CARGO coming out that seems targeted at the overlanding crowd and they honestly look outstanding. They have full line of sizes and bracket options that will allow you to mount them just about anywhere. They are basically their equivalent of Roam's rotomolded cases.

Probably not cheap but I'd imagine the quality is top notch. I have Pelican and Hardigg cases for all my gear and they have never failed me in any way. If I were in the market, I'd be waiting to see how these pan out.

Those look really promising! Interested in that price, though.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS

Looks like MSRP is going to be around 400 for the biggest BX140 case, 300 for the midsized BX90 case. The cube case is going to be about 200. They will not be gracing my cheap ass vehicle :tearsofjoy:

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

There are three manufacturers of high end cases, Pelican, Seahorse, SKB. All are very good.

I own all three mfgs, I like the SKB the best. They all do a great job. The other Idea is get a good case and wrap it in a vinyl sheet than put it on top of your rig. A couple of strapps will hold the vinyl tarp in place.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I was going to wait on the Pelican Cargo cases before going with the Vault series - until I looked at the dimensions. The shortest Cargo case is around a foot tall (if I recall correctly), which I felt was too high for a roof rack. The Vault is like 6” or 7”. Much lower profile.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I was going to wait on the Pelican Cargo cases before going with the Vault series - until I looked at the dimensions. The shortest Cargo case is around a foot tall (if I recall correctly), which I felt was too high for a roof rack. The Vault is like 6” or 7”. Much lower profile.
Yeah that kind of surprised me. I feel like people so broadly use their weapons cases for roof boxes that it was a no-brainer to make one that size. It also seems you lose a bit more of the vertical space with the design... the appeal of surplus Hardigg is that a 10 inch tall case will still have over 9 inches of usable space - the cargo lose almost 3 inches of their exterior height in usable space.

Reactions: Downs