Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
We have the 44L Frontrunner footwell tank - it lasts at least a couple of weeks for the two of us. Obviously not practical if you have all six in the vehicle though. I guess you could put a couple on the roof.
I have the same tank. It works well.

Advocate I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Jackman
Member #

Out here in Colorado I usually lean more towards 1.5-2 gal of water per person/day, its just so dry. Thats a lot of water to carry around for 6 people but for kids you can definitely get away with less. I like the Scepter 5gal jerries. Theyre a little pricey but exceptionally durable. For a quick trip you can just throw one in the rig or more for longer excursions. Big tanks are nice but less versatile and like mentioned before, a bad fill up can spoil all your water. There are also a ton of mounting options out there for jerries. I use a shower pump that just fits in the opening of the Scepter cans, pretty convenient for messy days.

Reactions: grubworm

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Are these purpose built reservoirs for vehicles or just something you have invented? If purpose built... link?
What do you mean with purpose built and which ones do you mean( the 10 L cans? the 20L flexible water reservoirs or the 5L one?)?

Acolle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Ang
Last Name
CO
Member #

Check out the metal co in CO. They have an extensive catalog of containers that might fit a specific location in your build/rig.

MrMor

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Israel
First Name
EITAN
Last Name
MOR
Member #

Hi,

We are a family of 6 and I am just trying to sort out how much water we should be bringing for 3-4 day trips and how to effectively store that. Looking for suggestions on containers that safely store water on top of the vehicle (suburban). This water will be used for showers/dishwashing/hand washing. I have one 7 gallon reliance blue container . Should I just get more of those or look into something that mounts rooftop and we use a hose to use? How much water should I plan on?

We have 3gallon water cooler we use and keep inside the vehicle for drinking which works ok. Might get a second.

Thanks in advance for any advice .

Jared
Hi
assuming no extreme weather you will need 3-4 liter a day pp, not include shower , cooking etc
also depend on the terrain you are heading - plan the location of the water tank (especially if its one big container) as it affect your center of gravity
Have fun :-)
Eitan

scott17818

Rank IV

Influencer II

Midcoast Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Charlton
i use a scepter 5 gallon jerry can, and a 2 gallon RinseKit Plus for pressurized water storage/cleaning duties. I like the fact that I can remove the RinseKit from the truck at any time, and I keep all my soaps, sponge, scrubbies, and a lightweight towel in it for cleanups/showering... I haeat up a gallon of water on the stove, and pour 1 gallon of cold water int he rinsekit, add the hot water, and then pressurize the system with the booster pump (bicycle pump). rinse off, soap up with camp soap (low sudsing soap, bio-degradable) and then rinse off.. I typically use less than 1 gallon to shower. I do plan to get a tank like this... https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/front-runner-upright-water-tank-with-two-cut-outs-flat.html but preferably shorter... this one is too tall... I like that it is thin, can be left mounted in the truck, and have the nozzle setup so i can put a valve and quick connect at the rear of the bed, and make it a gravity feed for the rinsekit, or for a quick washup if I need it. I bring water bottles for drinking water, but I do treat my water storage containers before and after every trip with a cap of chlorine & water... and multiple rinses.

Enthusiast III

South Dayton, NY, USA
First Name
Ronald
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Service Branch
USMC 85'-89'
Currently using two 6 gallon blue water cans. Does anybody have a great idea for a roof mounted water system. Pressurize would be awesome but it can't break the bank. Covid19 has me on unemployment with lots of build time but limited money.
4" or 6" pvc, cap the one end, cap the other with removable end. Install a valestem into it, paint it black, also, install a hose shutoff on it so you can have heated pressurized water that can be used like a shower if needed. If I can find the photos I will add them here.