Water Storage (Merged Thread)

• HTML tutorial

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

I've eyeballed those a few times on REI's website. I've got the "blue jug" and the spigot always leaks. I've thought about 1 or 2 smaller bags for daily use and use the blue jug as bulk water storage.
I use 4 tall and narrow jugs up at my cabin, and when we go off and around from there, we pop 1 or 2 in the truck - planning to only be out for a couple of days.
These bags just out-perform everything else for me. AND - you can use them as a shower!!!!

Jim Newell

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Over the years, I have found that your "standard plastic water jug" - be it a jerry can, gas can, etc - breaks down from light degradation when stored on the roof or in the open air bed of a truck. At the time, I didn't have a lot of internal room so I had to store them where they were exposed to the elements during travel. Then someone came into the camping store where I was working in at the time and told me about these:

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/water/storage/dromedary-bags/product

I haven't turned back since.

Because they're soft bladders, they store almost anywhere and take up minimal room and you can pump directly to and from them.
When they're empty, they roll up or flatten out and store out of the way.

Has anyone else used these?

Now that I have a vehicle that has room inside to store jugs, I could - but I am hooked on these drom bladders!
Thanks for the link. I will be getting myself a couple of these!
Jim

Reactions: RaggedViking

Nomad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Over the years, I have found that your "standard plastic water jug" - be it a jerry can, gas can, etc - breaks down from light degradation when stored on the roof or in the open air bed of a truck. At the time, I didn't have a lot of internal room so I had to store them where they were exposed to the elements during travel. Then someone came into the camping store where I was working in at the time and told me about these:
!
Fix for that UV problem paint em any rattle can works mine are well over 20 years.. but yes I have seen degraded ones and all you end up with is a handle in your hand and looking at the water buckets with that WTF just happend look....

also always carry 2 water sources water bucket and water bottles or what ever as like in your case if the water bucket is your only source of water things can go south fast...

AZ_Overland

Rank III

Advocate II

I have 3 20L military water containers that van go many places. But when my trailer gets built I will also have another 10-16 gallons under the trailer that will have a water pump to give me a fully functional kitchen sink. And will double as a shower when needed.

Sent from my SM-N900V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Jim Newell

AZ_Overland

Rank III

Advocate II

Glad I came across this thread. I was about to go buy one or two of these Scepter "Jerry" cans in blue plastic.
Anyone else recommend them?
I had two of those for about 6 years seems manufacturing on them has gotten cheaper I would check thickness as that was the problem with mine one was really thick like the military style and was was thin like a cheap Walmart 5 gallon.

Jim Newell

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

I had two of those for about 6 years seems manufacturing on them has gotten cheaper I would check thickness as that was the problem with mine one was really thick like the military style and was was thin like a cheap Walmart 5 gallon.

Glad I came across this thread. I was about to go buy one or two of these Scepter "Jerry" cans in blue plastic.
Anyone else recommend them?
I agree with AZ Overland...check the thickness. I have two that are much too thin and will not be out on any more adventures with me:)
Jim

Reactions: TXpedition

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

Thanks for the info. I'll double check, since the store is right around the corner from me.
If they are too thin, then I've got 2 weeks to find something sturdier before I head out to Big Bend.

dagen

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oakland, CA
Member #

I searched several terms but could not seem to find a thread addressing this on our forums. I'm trying to figure out how to transport water securely and safely in the bed of my Tacoma. I have a cargo net that will hold everything down and keep it from bouncing. I also don't want to install anything permanent yet or have a specialized tank that will take up space at home that I don't have for it.

I was thinking of using the standard 5 gallon blue office water jug and a hand pump. I figure the jug will go in the bed just fine and the neck will fit in a gap in the cargo net, letting the net hold it down by the top. That should keep it from bouncing but I'm still concerned about the strength of the jugs and the fact that it is transparent. I could put a cover over it I suppose, that should limit light exposure.

Any thoughts?

+1 on the Scepter Water cans. I have a bunch of them and they are amazing. Hold up to a lot of abuse and don't leave any funny after taste.

Reactions: TXpedition

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
View attachment 10451 I made my own "road shower" 4"pvc. The picture is a mid assembly shot. And I use the 7 gallon Walmart containers. They fit nicely in my trailer. 1 for kitchen, 1 for washing hands and 3 for drinking water.
How does this work, and what does the finished product look like?

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

My wife took me to REI the other day, and I was looking at the 7 gal jugs they have for under $20. I've still got plenty of room so I don't have to bee too picky.

Fatsquatch

Rank III

Advocate II

Des Moines, IA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
Ok so I've been busy as hell at work and with the baby due in a few months I have had all of my attention directed everywhere BUT working on the Explorer. Since it's also cold as hell I have zero desire to be in our unheated garage so I've been quite literally spending my free time at the drawing board.

I'm redesigning the interior storage system with the main goal of maximizing available space and keeping as much weight down low as possible. Rather than having all our water and fuel on the roof and the camping gear in the back I'm going to throw all the camp gear (light but bulky) on the roof in Plano storage lockers. I'm taking the "pack three cases" method to heart here - it just makes sense. For fuel I'm having a hitch-mounted swing out built that will hold Jerry cans and when we're not on the road I can store the whole setup in the garage. That leaves the interior storage to fit a fridge, kitchen, tools and recovery kit. I also want to incorporate a water tank and purification system because convenience.

I've been looking at some ideas on other sites and google images but thought I'd ask here to see if anyone else had done this and maybe share some ideas (bonus points for pictures). So far I'm pretty sold on the SAFH2O UV purification kits, and I'm thinking some sort of dual loop setup that would run incoming water through the purifier before going to the tank, and again when pulling water from the tank for consumption.

So there it is. Feel free to share ideas, offer advice, tell me I'm crazy (like I don't already know this?), laugh at my pain, you know the drill.

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT

Hey everyone!

I want to know how you transport water!

Do you just buy gallons of water?
Do you use something like Water Brick?
How much water per day do you use?

Tell me what you use and why! Provide a link or picture if you can.

I'm thinking about purchasing a company that would allow us to transport 3 gallons VERY easily and it could be safely stored anywhere in or on your vehicle.

DesertRat775

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sparks, NV
First Name
JP
Last Name
Moser
Member #

We use the water bricks. Seems to be the best method for us to transport plenty of water for the three of us, while it not taking too much space. One gallon a day per person is what I go by normally. There is a good article on OB about water usage but for some reason I cant seem to find it. I'll keep looking and get you the link.

Reactions: AdventureWithDanan

DesertRat775

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sparks, NV
First Name
JP
Last Name
Moser
Member #

We use the water bricks. Seems to be the best method for us to transport plenty of water for the three of us, while it not taking too much space. One gallon a day per person is what I go by normally. There is a good article on OB about water usage but for some reason I cant seem to find it. I'll keep looking and get you the link.
Found it. Here you go and enjoy! https://www.overlandbound.com/water-much-need-overlanding/

JPZimbo

Rank 0

Contributor II

At the moment most of our trips are single day or 2 days at most. We tend to use Coleman water coolers. And realistically we bring back half of what we take. So conservative at least. If we planned longer trips & remote camping then some form of onboard water would be useful.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: AdventureWithDanan

AdventureWithDanan

Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
Nice!

I'm asking because I'm trying to determine if it's worth purchasing someone's invention... He wants a fairly large sum of money for it and I don't want to purchase it unless I see that there is a need for a better method of transporting water.

AdventureWithDanan

Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
At the moment most of our trips are single day or 2 days at most. We tend to use Coleman water coolers. And realistically we bring back half of what we take. So conservative at least. If we planned longer trips & remote camping then some form of onboard water would be useful.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Awesome, and would you consider investing in a liquid storage system that you could stash anywhere in the vehicle? Say around $200-$300