Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I have run a snorkel for 20 years. I got it to keep dust out of the filter, not water. Fording deep water is a recipe for disaster. I have seen dozens of engines ruined due to water. It does not take much moving water to remove all control, even if the motor is still running. Unless your rig is significantly lifted, you will start to float in as little as 20" of water. I crossed the end of a lake in a well know spot and had water at the top of my 35's. I have never seen a vehicle where the doors sealed well enough to keep water from flowing into the cabin.

Use common sense and stay alive.

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

First of all, I’ve installed an ARB breather so I’m good either way, but I’m confused... Ok, basic premise first. You have a diff that is in a metal case. It heats up from friction while driving and expands. Right? Heat expands metals... then you enter the water and it rapidly COOLS. This makes the case CONTRACT.

SO... where is this vacuum coming from? Why would anything get sucked IN? Seems like the contraction of the hot metal should create POSITIVE pressure, not negative pressure.

Or does it have nothing to do w the case contracting, but rather the air inside cooling down? Still, the diff case should be contracting faster than the air inside bc metal conducts better than air.

Unless the case doesn’t expand or contract at all and it is simply the air inside expanding and contracting...

Thoughts?

Kelso

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Cochrane, Alberta, Canada
Member #

It is due to change in air temperature, not the actual metal expanding and contracting. As the air heats up the internal pressure is released through the breather. When it cools the vacuum is relieved by air returning into the breather. The problem is when the breather is under water it sucks in water. I also believe some factory breathers are designed to prevent water intrusion by sealing shut which then causes damage to the axle seals... Bringing me to my question. I know it's not a lot of vacuum but is it not hard on axle seals having the diffs plumbed into the air box vs having a filter on them at atmospheric pressure?

Reactions: John~SWNM

Robert Jordan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Grass Valley, CA
Member #

I am still on the fence on whether or not I want to install a snorkel on the FJ. I know it has its benefits but it does look kind of tacky on an FJ atleast. Luckily for my rig they aren't too expensive.

rrjones2u

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

US
I promise you that if you install the snorkel you won't regret it. Just remember that you need to do the "scuba" mod for the rear diff and e locker. There are videos on YouTube and the mod is super easy and was less than 30 bucks. Take my word for it, the snorkel is worth it.
I am still on the fence on whether or not I want to install a snorkel on the FJ. I know it has its benefits but it does look kind of tacky on an FJ atleast. Luckily for my rig they aren't too expensive.
Got real close to vapor locking the engine.IMG_20170617_120016881_HDR.jpegIMG_20180814_192327_335.jpeg

Robert Jordan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Grass Valley, CA
Member #

I promise you that if you install the snorkel you won't regret it. Just remember that you need to do the "scuba" mod for the rear diff and e locker. There are videos on YouTube and the mod is super easy and was less than 30 bucks. Take my word for it, the snorkel is worth it.Got real close to vapor locking the engine.View attachment 65411View attachment 65412
Yeah I am still considering it. Main issue is I am running Bushwackers and it seems like a pain in the rear to install with them. It bites that there isn't a sort of template to follow for the cut out on the Bushwackers.

rrjones2u

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

US
That's my same problem, I want bushwackers but cutting around the snorkel looks like a pain.
Yeah I am still considering it. Main issue is I am running Bushwackers and it seems like a pain in the rear to install with them. It bites that there isn't a sort of template to follow for the cut out on the Bushwackers.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

This thread is part of the reason I am choosing to install a snorkel this week. Got my lc80 snorkel for $69 in Amazon, just got delivered this afternoon.

I don’t really do water crossings, but there’s always that possibility. Plus San Antonio floods a lot. Plus Texas is dusty.

I feel like snorkels are a good move safety wise but they seem to get a lot of hate. Most of the people I know told me I was doing it because they look cool, and they were pointless unless you’re in the Sahara or fording rivers. Totally not the case, there’s a lot of legit reasons cited in this thread to have a snorkel.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I originally put my snorkel on a 85 Jeep XJ with a 2.5L for dust reasons. It was woefully underpowered on the freeway. Connecting the snorkel added 7 mph to the top cruising speed. I attribute it to the ram air effect at higher speeds. I now run a 4.7L stroker and have not repeated the same test because I chickened out at 118 mph instead of 75 mph tops for the 2.5L.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I use amazing goop marine adhesive to seal anything like seams of ecu box or around light bulb connection, to double seal all intake connector hoses. Dont forget about the alternator submerged in clean clear water is ok but just a little mud or dirt will kill it quick, those of us who have a diesel rig dont have to worry as much since diesels will continue to run if you dont shut it off but gas engines woll stop running without a alternator

T.Shack

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Red Bluff Ca.
Member #

Great information thank you! I too have been thinking about the rigs with snorkels, & the other mods needed to go with them.