Contributor II

Fort Collins, CO
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Hey guys,

Might be a simple answer to this question but I wanted to hear if people have different ways of dealing with a washboarded gravel road. The only solution I know of is to air down and find the right speed (still doesnt do much however). Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

TDGarage

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Morgan Hill, CA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Detch
Member #

I agree on both solutions. Obviously the size tire you have to air down makes a big difference. I find speeding up to find the right speed makes a big difference also. A good example is the road between Ubehebe crater and the racetrack in Death Valley, CA. I'm doing ~45-55mph and the road is tolerable. Going between 25-40 is horrendous and feels like the truck will fall apart.

STPICKENS

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Evansville, WY, USA 82636
First Name
SHAUN
Last Name
PICKENS
Member #

Air down and speed it the best way to deal with washboard roads. The tires will soak up the vibration and the speed will allow you to skip over the tops of the bumps. But it's a double edged sward. You also loose a great deal of traction doing this with less ground contact. Use slower steering instead of fast jerky movements. Been about quite a bit on Bessemer mine road in Johnson valley going about 60 or so in my 4 runner to smooth out the bumps. Worked like a charm and made good time going to the rock pile too. [emoji1303][emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

Airing down is good. Upgrading to a shock/spring combo better suited for the terrain is better.

Speed = heat = shock valve degradation. The better suited the valving for the terrain, the better ride you will have.

The tough part is that most of us use our vehicles as daily drivers as well. This is a balancing game we play...

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I don't know about other vehicles, but I know for my discovery, Land Rover went ahead and figured out that the resonate frequency of the truck and suspension is about 20-35 MPH, so traveling at those speeds can help smooth things out without going too over the top with speed

Reactions: Polaris Overland

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

Washboard roads are a pain. Always feels smooth at a high speed, but as mentioned before, you lose traction. I did that one time - once! Turning a corner and it was like driving on ice. Never went back to that.

Also, remember driving on a dirt road usually means wild animals also present. Keep your speed low enough so you can brake/maneuver safely. I've seen remnants of deer too often on the side of paved and dirt roads. Be a smart driver. In my years of driving dirt roads in the mountains of CA I've seen deer a lot, rabbits, porcupines, coyotes, foxes, cougar - rare sighting, in daylight! - and a bear running across the road. Also, remember you're in their home, treat their home as you would want guests treating yours.

And, last point, if you're driving that road, somebody else could be too heading toward you.

Sounds preachy, but developing some rattles that need tightening/fixing later is way cheaper than rolling your vehicle to help smooth the ride.