Warn Winch not working correctly???

• HTML tutorial

joe.schigel

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Detroit, MI
Hey all,

I'm getting to the end of my rope with this Warn M15000 winch that I picked up. It was used but new in box (all the wrappers, bands, cable ties, etc still in tact). here's how it's all played out:

- hooked up to truck, initially would only spool out.

- checked connections, OK

- replaced solenoids - OK

- would only spool one way still

- jumped motor and spins in both directions

- tested remote via pinout provided by Warn - OK

- jumped solenoids, worked

- put it all back together worked (no idea why)

- today, 3 days later, nothing

- jump solenoids, NOK

- get home and test, won't run if truck is on or off

- hook up 10A charger to battery, works. most of the time

I don't understand why it will only work if a booster is hooked up to the battery?

The battery is a deep cycle AGM with 950CCA and is 1 year old. no other electrical issues with the truck.

Anyone ever encountered this problem before? Any ideas? is it the AGM? Thanks for the thoughts.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Sounds like a bad or low battery to me. Take the battery to auto zone or whatever preferred auto parts store and have your battery tested.

joe.schigel

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Detroit, MI
Sounds like a bad or low battery to me. Take the battery to auto zone or whatever preferred auto parts store and have your battery tested.
yeah, I'm starting to wonder that. my ~30yr old voltmeter tells me it has 9v. when I power on the truck (not running) the gauge reads high 12. I tested my voltmeter on my other cars and it read low on all 3. I think it may be my tool. I should probably get a new one while I'm at it.