Warn M10000 winch maintenance question

• HTML tutorial

KicknDirt

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Huntington Beach, CA
Member #

Hi All, I recently was able to buy a Warn winch and bumper set up for a few hundred dollars off an older CalTrans truck. It's a perfect fit for my ford Bronco! The winch runs, but the line is shot. I will replace the line with a Warn synthetic line. I am concerned about what kind of mechanical maintenance the winch motor needs. It shows some signs of surface rust, but overall appears to be in fine shape. I know a lot of entertainment winch motors and I know those are a maintenance nightmare, but I know very little about these. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

How does the winch operate now? Does it go into (and out of) freespool easily? Does the controller have good a connection to run it in both directions?

You can take the end caps off to look at the motor and gears, though I'd suggest getting replacement gaskets as they can tear when opening the case. When I got my xd9000i, the freespool clutch wouldn't move. I opened up the gear section and found a lot of surface rust on the lower half of the gears. I cleaned them up, replaced the thrust bearing and repacked it with Mobil1 grease and haven't had an issue in 8 years.

Warn's are solid winches. If it's operating ok now, just get the syn line. Be sure to inspect the drum for any burs that might cut into the new line. If you can run the drum with your bare hand and not feel anything sharp, you should be good to go.

Use this as a guide for your winch and if you need to order parts.
https://winchserviceparts.com/m10000.php

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

CLR works well if you have rust to remove. I painted my drum with Rustoleum spray on truck bed liner to give the syn line a little more bite on the first layer.