marcgrau

Rank I

Contributor III

Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio, United States
First Name
Marc
Last Name
Grau
I know roof tops have the cool factor, but have you considered the Gazelle?
super fast setup and tea down. For lots less $$.
I have been looking at the T4 plus as well. They are out of stock at the original price, selling at Amazon for close to $800 :-(

This is why I wanted to start with a used RTT and avoid paying full price. I want to give my kids (6 and 9) the best chance of enjoying the experience and I believe the RTT has big chances of success. Staying off the ground seemed a good start (no bugs, cleaner, less dampness, feels more secure)

Not sure if folks with kids here could prove me wrong/right.

Reactions: sycboi

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
I have been looking at the T4 plus as well. They are out of stock at the original price, selling at Amazon for close to $800 :-(

This is why I wanted to start with a used RTT and avoid paying full price. I want to give my kids (6 and 9) the best chance of enjoying the experience and I believe the RTT has big chances of success. Staying off the ground seemed a good start (no bugs, cleaner, less dampness, feels more secure)

If your kids are super mature and can be calm the RTT is fun, but in and out in the dark when excited or half asleep is not the best combination.

OB seems to have them in stock.

Reactions: marcgrau

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Will travel within 200 miles. Looking for a 62-63 inches wide model.
They're out there. I bought mine used almost four years ago about half price of new, and it had only been used on one trip by a guy who took his son camping on a several week trip. You might have to go further than two hundred miles, but they're out there. I'd check other adventure forums, too. There are two for sale at Expedition Equipment, for example, in just the first two pages. One in SC, the other doesn't say.

And. . . contrary to popular belief, RTTs are not really some new fad. As a mass-produced product they have been around since the 50s when Maggiolina started making them in Italy. We used to see them a lot when camping in Europe as kids. Folks in the US are just late to catch on, so to many it seems like a new thing.

Also contrary to popular belief is that RTTs are hard or difficult for kids. Just about every kid I know is far better at ladders, slides, and jungle gyms than just about every adult I know. Every time a family with kids, or my own grandkids come to camp, I let the kids sleep in my RTT. No problems, middle of the night or not, many different ages.

You part of the Grau clan out Blue Ash way? :sunglasses:

marcgrau

Rank I

Contributor III

First Name
Marc
Last Name
Grau
They're out there. I bought mine used almost four years ago about half price of new, and it had only been used on one trip by a guy who took his son camping on a several week trip. You might have to go further than two hundred miles, but they're out there. I'd check other adventure forums, too. There are two for sale at Expedition Equipment, for example, in just the first two pages. One in SC, the other doesn't say.

And. . . contrary to popular belief, RTTs are not really some new fad. As a mass-produced product they have been around since the 50s when Maggiolina started making them in Italy. We used to see them a lot when camping in Europe as kids. Folks in the US are just late to catch on, so to many it seems like a new thing.

Also contrary to popular belief is that RTTs are hard or difficult for kids. Just about every kid I know is far better at ladders, slides, and jungle gyms than just about every adult I know. Every time a family with kids comes to camp, I let the kids sleep in my RTT. No problems, middle of the night or not.

You part of the Grau clan out Blue Ash way? :sunglasses:
Thanks for the insights on the kids. I am originally from Spain, so not from the Blueash clan :-)

Reactions: Road

marcgrau

Rank I

Contributor III

First Name
Marc
Last Name
Grau

If your kids are super mature and can be calm the RTT is fun, but in and out in the dark when excited or half asleep is not the best combination.

OB seems to have them in stock.
Thanks for the advice. I have seen the T4 but was liking the T4 plus ( the one with the screen room attached)

Nbyapp

Rank IV
Investor

Influencer II

Fort Worth, Texas, United States
First Name
Nolen
Last Name
Yapp
Member #

Have you looked at ironman4x4? I got my roof top tent brand new for $950 and it’s awesome! Water proof and all! I’d highly recommend looking at one of those and have it shipped to you for free! (Free shipping over $50)

Attachments

marcgrau

Rank I

Contributor III

First Name
Marc
Last Name
Grau
Have you looked at ironman4x4? I got my roof top tent brand new for $950 and it’s awesome! Water proof and all! I’d highly recommend looking at one of those and have it shipped to you for free! (Free shipping over $50)
Thanks for the hint. I had not seen them yet. Specs look good but I checked and they only have them in 56” (2 person). Somehow I am set on a 62” to fit comfortable with my 2 kids (and hoping to manage to occasionally bring my wife). Even if it will overhang a couple inches out the back of the Gladiator’s bed, trying to get a 3 person plus. Would this overhang be a very bad idea? Will it look very awkward?

Reactions: Nbyapp

Nbyapp

Rank IV
Investor

Influencer II

Fort Worth, Texas, United States
First Name
Nolen
Last Name
Yapp
Member #

Thanks for the hint. I had not seen them yet. Specs look good but I checked and they only have them in 56” (2 person). Somehow I am set on a 62” to fit comfortable with my 2 kids (and hoping to manage to occasionally bring my wife). Even if it will overhang a couple inches out the back of the Gladiator’s bed, trying to get a 3 person plus. Would this overhang be a very bad idea? Will it look very awkward?
Darn! Yeah it’s definitely a two person vibe, there is also an annex you can get with it, but that total comes out to I think like $1200-1300 with the tent that your kids could sleep on the ground floor but if you’re doing an over the bed system kind of like what I did, then it’s too short for the annex sadly :(

Attachments