Want some help planning our first trip to Moab!

• HTML tutorial

OBiE0311

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Heya folks! Been thinking about a trip to Moab over a weekend and finally decided to just say 'screw it, let's do this' and head out. Would like to do some beginner off-roading while we're there and we will be camping, so I'm looking for any and all input regarding how to pull this off! Planning on being there the weekend of Feb. 17, so all info is good info! Also, don't tell my wife! It's a surprise!

Reactions: TerryD

Enthusiast I

Brentwood, CA
Member #

I can definitely help you. Mid-February will likely be pretty cold-FYI. What is your vehicle/ability? Are you looking for camping spot help? In town or out? Campground or dispersed? Are you just looking to go wheeling or are you hiking or biking, too? Let me know what you need help with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app

OBiE0311

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Vehicle is a '95 Chevy suburban K1500 (4x4) and my ability is beginner. Camping recommendations are a big help and we would would probably prefer a campground. In or out of town doesn't really matter so long as we get to see some cool stuff! No biking this trip but some hiking may be fun!

Enthusiast I

Brentwood, CA
Member #

For trails you will like Gemini Bridges, Shaffer, and don't miss Chicken Corners. You can also do Picture Frame Arch and there is dispersed camping out there. If you want to camp in town, I like ACT Campground. It has really small sites but nice showers and a community kitchen and bbq area. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

OBiE0311

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Awesome! Thanks so much for the input! I was thinking of picking up a 4x4 guide for the trip to help with navigation. Any recommendations for that as far as which one to get if you use one? Going to get a map also, but we do like our guides...

We haven’t really camped in Cold Weather yet. I was going to pick up some 0 rated sleeping bags for the trip. Any other gear recommendations for colder weather camping?

Thanks for the help so far!

Enthusiast I

Brentwood, CA
Member #

I use this guide: Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails 3rd Edition Sometimes links don't work on here, but you can get it on Amazon. You will need to be ready for temps in the teens. It gets below freezing at night in late March. Another option, and what I do, is to rent a "cabin" at ACT Campground. They are like very small hotel rooms with just beds and a small fridge. You use the shared bathrooms and kitchen. Moab Rim Campground has actual cabins for about the same price. I've stayed at both and ACT is nicer while Moab Rim is bigger but doesn't have a community kitchen.

OBiE0311

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

So I got the book in the mail and I’m starting to plan out a rough itenerary. The wife had a brush-up with the then-broken garage door and broke some fingers so we will not be camping, but I’m still planning on us going out there and having a good time. There is an Ultramarathon in Moab on the 18th, so I figured that day we may drive the Road to Hite Trail near Canyonlands National Park. My question about this day would be if Flint Trail would be to difficult foe the Suburban? Or me? Hard to get a real grasp of its difficulty from just the book. My gut reaction is that it would be a little much, but I’m not sure if there’s a good way to get to Road To Hite without going Flint.

At any rate, Sunday will be the actual Moab day. We’ll be probably doing the round-trip Hurrah Pass to Chicken Corner and back. We’ll leave early and if we have time check out Gemini Bridges.

Thoughts on that?

Enthusiast I

Brentwood, CA
Member #

I'm not familiar with Hite or Flint. I've never heard of either, so I will have to look in my book. Harrah Pass/Chicken Corners can easily be done in the morning leaving you plenty of time for Gemini. You should even be able to combine it with another for a loop. Look at Shaffer or Long Trail.

Enthusiast I

Brentwood, CA
Member #

I can't find my book. I might have to buy a new one. From what I can find about Flint Trail, it will probably be too much for a Suburban, especially if not lifted. Keep in mind that The Maze District of Canyonlands, where the Flint Trail is, is very remote. It only gets about 14k visitors a year. At almost 30 miles long, Flint Trail wouldn't be something I would suggest doing alone.

OBiE0311

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Thanks man! I really appreciate your input. I agree with the assessment I think. Videos I’ve watched I think were a bit out of my vehicle level and a decent bit out of my skill level!

Vtpeter

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vermont
Member #

Hi everyone, new member here from Vermont. I have been following this post, doing the same trip this spring. Ordered the Moab trail book. Looking forward to updates on your trip, and hearing the stories. Have fun !!