Walmart awning tent

• HTML tutorial

HellsAngler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

came across this tonight while looking for a larger tent for when my girlfriend and our two doberman/german shepherds come camping. I currently have a big agnus fly creek ul2 that i use for backpacking or just the 2 of us and just want a fairly cheap alternative for when the dogs come/can beat up

looks like it could fairly easily be fitted to an ARB awning.

Anyone used or seen these before? thoughts?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-4-Person-ConnecTent-for-Canopy/49382134

Attachments

Reactions: Tahoe.Adventures

Tahoe.Adventures

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corona, CA
Member #

Looked into these as well. They are not the roomiest but seem very quick to setup. They are very affordable and I am going to pick up one up to use as space for gear when camping, so it doesn't take up space in the main tent.

Tahoe.Adventures

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corona, CA
Member #

Good idea. I found one that Dick's sells also that is a little more cool looking if you ask me. comes in overland tan and grey ha
Nice! I actually have their canopy tent. It works surprisingly well. The one at Walmart is $40 at my local store. The color on the one from Dick's is definitely better, I wonder if they will price match??? I know they are different brands, but identical specs.

HellsAngler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Went to dicks after work and picked one up. Hard to beat for the price. Snaps right onto my arb awning. Feels like it's pretty durable as well. The bottom essentially has a heavy duty tarp sewn on to act as a built in footprint .Only concern will be warmth with the size and mesh cieling.

Attachments

Tahoe.Adventures

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corona, CA
Member #

Went to dicks after work and picked one up. Hard to beat for the price. Snaps right onto my arb awning. Feels like it's pretty durable as well. The bottom essentially has a heavy duty tarp sewn on to act as a built in footprint .Only concern will be warmth with the size and mesh cieling.
That's awesome! You can try getting/making a canvas rainfly?

HellsAngler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

ya thinking about it. It comes with a rainfly to cover the mesh area but its almost an exact fit so definitely leaves some room for vulnerability. biggest difference i noticed between this and the walmart one after purchase is this one has more mesh on the ceiling area and comes with windows. the walmart one has solid sides.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I bought the walmart one last year but ended up returning it.. I loved the idea but it lived up to its price-point, and the quality just wasn't there.

HellsAngler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

I can say I'm happy with the purchase. Put it to the test over the holiday weekend. Held up to some light rain and cold nights. Being 6'3" it was a nice change from my backpacking tent being able to stand and change inside. Compared to the price of higher end name brand awning tents I think its pretty hard to beat for the price

Attachments

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

Glad to learn about the Dick's option. I like budget options. How many of these could be purchased before reaching the OZ Tent prices? Like 15? Living in the desert I am not too concerned with warmth or rain. If I was, then yeah, I would go for the pricier options.

Reactions: HellsAngler

Go2AllThePlaces

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Las Vegas
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Umlauf
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BBB
I will be trying this out for my dog while out camping!! Looks like a great alternative to trying to get him up in the RTT

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
So, it looks like this depends on the structure of the awning to support the front of the tent itself? Or does it stand on its own without the awning?

Combined with some awning room walls this could be a pretty sweet set-up if you were in one spot for a couple days.
If your style is one-nighter, quick moves, different place every night stuff, might get a bit old going through all the set-up, but even then it looks pretty quick.

Dan