Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

90 south to 82 to 12. It's a business of sorts trip so I want to break in my new RTT and awning.
I’m zero help then being I’m off 14 on the Columbia I make the Walla Walla trip via sr. 14 or I-84. Thought it was cool that you were from Port Orchard since I lived there a while after high school. Good luck with the trip and trying out the new gear.

Reactions: Knife_guy_in_wa

Knife_guy_in_wa

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Port Orchard, WA, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Kauranen
Member #

I’m zero help then being I’m off 14 on the Columbia I make the Walla Walla trip via sr. 14 or I-84. Thought it was cool that you were from Port Orchard since I lived there a while after high school. Good luck with the trip and trying out the new gear.
There seems to be some BLM land as well as the Umatilla National Forest. Ever been to any of that area?

Reactions: Ghost

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

There seems to be some BLM land as well as the Umatilla National Forest. Ever been to any of that area?
Growing up on the west side I just really like heading to the dry side whenever I can. Living where I do now it’s only about a 45 minute drive before things start to flatten out and dry up.

SlinginIron

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lewiston, Nez Perce County, Idaho, United States
First Name
Arty
Last Name
Harber
Member #

Search Table Rock, skyline, Godman, Maloney Mt., Mill Creek, Tiger Canyon, Tucannon river, Panjab Trail. I'm on the Dayton side and I usually just run up to the mountains just south of town. I've been slowly working on capturing all of my trails on my On X hunt app, just scouting things out. I've learned that I need a chain saw that I regularly pack with me for many of the roads. There is a road that runs from Walla Walla to Dayton mostly along ridge lines. Its a pretty well maintained FS road with no technical driving and its about 67 miles long. Watch-outs would be leaving the FS roads outside of Walla Walla because they have a watershed that does not even allow hiking in some some areas. This entire area is also under a burn ban until we get significant autumn rains. There are a lot of private land areas as well to be mindful of. I usually go state land, national forest, or tribal land. The Blue Mountains have a number of postcard type vistas, even along the FS roads. Umatilla national forest is great because it is less restrictive, and there are a number of old logging roads, and homesteads to explore. Off of the main roads the terrain is pretty rugged featuring a number of "non-navigable" deep draws/canyons. The Blues are perched in the Pomeroy Ranger district and a little in the Walla Walla Ranger district. Both are good places to get maps or download the free versions on-line. If the weather is cool enough in the early morning and late evening you may see white-tail deer, mule deer, elk, black bears (I've been seeing more of the cinnamon colored bears over the past couple of years.), cougars, and wolves. The last two are unlikely but, I've seen them on rare occasions while working. Good luck and have fun exploring.

MapJunkie

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I live in Walla Walla and would be happy to give you some ideas. I think a nice gravel road to drive is to follow Kendall skyline from near Dayton to Tollgate. It will take you past Table Rock lookout and lots of dispersed / free FS campgrounds.

If you have some time, you could do gravel roads all the way around the Wenaha Tucannan Wilderness.

Hells Canyon is another area near WW with great roads to explore. DM me if you want to meet up when you are in town. I might be here depending your plans.

Last edited: