Wabdr July 22

• HTML tutorial

Trek 96

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

PNW
Member #

Doing wabdr starting sat morning in Stevenson. Heard leg 1 and 3 may be closed but no updates. Anyone know? Anyone interested in going? Anyone have updated info? Trail reports are non existent.

Trek 96

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

PNW
Member #

We will be leaving Friday evening for pdx area. Planning on kicking off at bridge of the Gods around 9. Doing the entire thing but there are jumping off points after each leg. I'm still waiting for accurate Intel on trail conditions which will determine any route changes. Slide by beehive may be cleaned up ect. I'm also an NWOL member . If interested we will exchange numbers and establish comms for the rendezvous but that is the plan so far.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
bridge of the Gods
I remember being scared driving across The Bridge of the Gods as a kid :) Where are planning on staying Friday evening? I probably would not be able to get there until after dark...
Thanks!

Trek 96

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

PNW
Member #

I remember being scared driving across The Bridge of the Gods as a kid :) Where are planning on staying Friday evening? I probably would not be able to get there until after dark...
Thanks!
Have not sorted that yet. We will not be leaving Bothell area until 8ish Friday night so we have the same problem. Nothing is available near cascade locks Friday night. Sat around 9ish we want to be crossing bridge of the Gods. So update on fs 23 is slides at mp 12 18 and 23 sdo we think we will bypass west and cut over to takhalakh to catch the most scenic part of leg 1 rather than miss it all. Leg 3 has a slide at beehive but there is a reroute not far out of the way for that small section if it is not cleared by then. We will have a lifted D1, lifted LR4, Frontier crew and possibly a 2nd lifted D1 and a JK. Weekdays in summer it is hard to get everyone's schedules aligned.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Thanks! Am in Sammamish myself. I drive a stock JKU Rubicon and have offroaded but never rock crawled. Up for anything but trashing my new JKU :)

Trek 96

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

PNW
Member #

From gifford pinchot road closure map... looks like bdr route is open but waiting for confirmation since ive heard bdr leg 1 is closed. Bdr runs up 23 to takhalakh then goes ne on 2329 to fs 21 so should be all clear. Conditions: 7/08/2017: Road is washed out at MP 12, MP 18 and MP 23.4 This section of the road will be closed until the fall of 2017. Rd. 23 from Trout Lake to the West side of Mt. Adams (Takhlakh Lake area) is open to the lake. View a map of inaccessible roads on the Cowlitz Valley Ranger District to determine alternative access routes. Call the Ranger District at 360-497-1100 for additional information.

Trek 96

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

PNW
Member #

From the ranger herself. Takhalakh is open from the south on fs 23. The slides are between the lake and Randal. So leg 1 of bdr is not closed. I'm guessing people assumed the mp started south not north.

Trek 96

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

PNW
Member #

Thanks! Am in Sammamish myself. I drive a stock JKU Rubicon and have offroaded but never rock crawled. Up for anything but trashing my new JKU :)
I've off roaded with jeeps for 25 years. Nothing on wabdr is hairy although there are obstacles and challenging spots depending on vehicle and experience. Some is fs road some is 2 track. Rocky sections north of Ellensburg. Section 6 the jungle tends to be overgrown so scratches from limbs may be expected. Depends on new growth and traffic. We aren't shy about scratches on the LR4 it's not a soccer mom car it gets used as intended but obviously try to limit damage as much as possible. We go out to explore and have fun safely not to try to break the rigs. Overlanding is not jeeping and why I gravitated away from the hey y'all watch this crowd to the overlanding side. In short not expecting anyone to do anything risky or potentially damaging to their rig but at the same time there is always risk off road so be aware of that. 600 miles is a lot so being easy on the gear is the name of the game.

Reactions: Bigheadtinyarms