WABDR 6/23

• HTML tutorial

daPitbull

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Oakland, CA
Member #

hey NW neighbors! We're getting ready for our 3 week Roadtrip north from CA through WA into Canada. The plan is to run the length of WABDR into Canada. I've accepted the fact there will be portions that we can't run due to snow, just wondering if any local OB members have any additional info about which sections may be closed or impassible? And if anyone would like to join for portions of the trail, let me know.

Reactions: Steve

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
I've never run the WABDR, but your best source for up-to-date trail status would be the folks at Northwest Overland. I would check in on the forums there and state your inquiry. A lot of those folks live in and around the cascades and WABDR sections, and will likely have traversed the region more recently. Good luck on your trip, sounds like a blast!

Reactions: daPitbull

daPitbull

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Oakland, CA
Member #

I've never run the WABDR, but your best source for up-to-date trail status would be the folks at Northwest Overland. I would check in on the forums there and state your inquiry. A lot of those folks live in and around the cascades and WABDR sections, and will likely have traversed the region more recently. Good luck on your trip, sounds like a blast!
Thanks for the lead!

daPitbull

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Oakland, CA
Member #

Are you starting on the 23rd at Oregon? If so I could be interested in joining in on the Ellensburg-cashmere route which I believe would be Saturday if you run it as the wabdr page says. If you could get cell coverage to send me a camp location I could meet Friday night.
Yes we're starting the WABDR 6/23 in Cascade Locks, OR. Plan is to stay at the KOA in Cascade Locks and start the trail mid morning. I'll message you my info, let's try and coordinate something.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I should just be finishing it when you are starting it... I'll try to remember to get a quick update for you when I get back.

According to the information I've found, there is only one section (small) that looks like it might pose a challenge. I'm more worried about down trees up north.

daPitbull

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Oakland, CA
Member #

I should just be finishing it when you are starting it... I'll try to remember to get a quick update for you when I get back.

According to the information I've found, there is only one section (small) that looks like it might pose a challenge. I'm more worried about down trees up north.
Thanks. According to my research, Section 1 and Section 5(ish) may have snow issues. Do you have any better info of Sections 1 through 6?

Skijeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Black Diamond, WA
Member #

I will be doing WABDR 6/22 -6/26 . The gpx track files are available on the WABDR site. With the warm spring we have had, snow shouldn't be too bad of a problem. Matches Pass trail was pretty clear of snow this Sunday

daPitbull

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Oakland, CA
Member #

If you're on Instagram and you search #wabdr you can get up to date pics of the trails. One guy encountered snow on section 5 and turned around. There was some recent snow too based on recent posts on advrider.com

Are you running the whole thing, starting at Cascade Lock?

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I have a few bars... These messed with me. North of Chelan. I don't have the coordinates at the moment.

When the sign says "road closed" it's best to heed the warning.

Also, you will make better progress, faster, without having to re-route if you have a chainsaw.

Also, I'm not sure anything much larger than my Commander will make the route...

I don't have many pictures in my phone. But this is some of it.

The little Trailhawk is kicking ass.

daPitbull

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Oakland, CA
Member #

I have a few bars... These messed with me. North of Chelan. I don't have the coordinates at the moment.

When the sign says "road closed" it's best to heed the warning.

Also, you will make better progress, faster, without having to re-route if you have a chainsaw.

Also, I'm not sure anything much larger than my Commander will make the route...

I don't have many pictures in my phone. But this is some of it.

The little Trailhawk is kicking ass.

So is this section 3 or 4? Thanks for the heads up

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I'm not sure if you'll get this notification...

They were toward the end... somewhere between 4 and 5... The blocks are at the locations of the red flags...

N47° 58.032' W120° 14.387'

N48° 07.732' W120° 09.970'

Just past the edge of view, there as a tree that I wasn't entirely sure that I could get under with the loaded XK. One of the factors that made me decide to find another way.

CigarBar

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Yup I had to reverse out, with a trailer mind you. Pretty sketch with the drop off to the driver side.
I keep looking at that picture and got to guess it was 4'-0" deep. In any case...a nightmare of a hole. And you had to back up with a trailer? LOL...
That's like biting your heart in half to keep from loosing it while on a white knuckled double diamond mountain bike drop.
Kudos for good driving.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk