Last Name
Burlison
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7LHB
Service Branch
Navy

Hey y’all!

I’m setting up a bit of an adventure for all those in the PNW area around end of august into September!

The dates will be: august 25- September 7

I’m setting up for the full length of the WABCDR or Washington back-country discovery route!
https://ridebdr.com/wabdr/

I would love for people to join in on some fun! It could take the full amount of time or less time than that to do all 6 legs! Join me for 593 miles of adventure and camping!

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We had discussed running it in the normal direction around the same time line, not sure until a bit later if we will have an opening in our schedule, or exactly what dates, but could be interesting if we met in the middle somewhere. Will touch base with you once we can confirm our plans. Also it looks like you have Bridge of the Gods as your starting point? would it not be Nighthawk if you are running it backwards? No matter what way its run, always some beautiful country to travel through.

Burly

Rank VIII

Protector III

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Carter
Last Name
Burlison
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7LHB
Service Branch
Navy
We had discussed running it in the normal direction around the same time line, not sure until a bit later if we will have an opening in our schedule, or exactly what dates, but could be interesting if we met in the middle somewhere. Will touch base with you once we can confirm our plans. Also it looks like you have Bridge of the Gods as your starting point? would it not be Nighthawk if you are running it backwards? No matter what way its run, always some beautiful country to travel through.
I miss typed when writing this. We are completing the trail the normal direction (Oregon to Canada). Edit to come.

Reactions: OTH Overland

Burly

Rank VIII

Protector III

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Carter
Last Name
Burlison
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7LHB
Service Branch
Navy

Hey y’all!

I’m setting up a bit of an adventure for all those in the PNW area around end of august into September!

The dates will be: august 25- September 7

I’m setting up for the full length of the WABCDR or Washington back-country discovery route!

I would love for people to join in on some fun! It could take the full amount of time or less time than that to do all 6 legs! Join me for 593 miles of adventure and camping!

Feel free to DM me with any questions regarding planning or the event.

jad3116

Rank VI

Builder II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
DeLeon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6MGC
Can I get clarification on the dates for this trip. In the physical write up you say Aug 25 - Sept 7 but then in the date section you say the dates are Aug 26 - Sep 1.

Burly

Rank VIII

Protector III

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Carter
Last Name
Burlison
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7LHB
Service Branch
Navy
Can I get clarification on the dates for this trip. In the physical write up you say Aug 25 - Sept 7 but then in the date section you say the dates are Aug 26 - Sep 1.
The dates are 26- sep 7- given for fluctuation in how quickly we complete the run

jad3116

Rank VI

Builder II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
DeLeon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6MGC
You can probably get away without armor, since the BDRs we're originally designed for motorcycle use.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
What kind of armor are you thinking is required? Skid plates in a particular area?
No armor is required. Its mostly gravel roads with some more "advanced" bits here and there (rocky/rutted sections). Did Stevenson to Ellensburgh this weekend and one of the participants drove a newer Cherokee Trailhawk and he did fine on everything but the snow past Taklakh Lake, which will be gone in Sept. I was in 2WD everywhere save the snow and rocky section between Nile and Ellensburgh (Baby Head Hill area). Mosquitoes were hideous from Stevenson through Packwood but probably not an issue in Sept. There is a new trail forming to bypass the hellish mud departing Bethel Ridge, the mud likely won't be an issues in Sept but the giant ruts will still be there. Make sure that you have planned a bypass for this area (I can help with this if you desire) in case it is bad. This is the hardest part of what we just did.

Reactions: parrotheadnw

parrotheadnw

Rank V

Advocate III

160 Sienna Street, Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo County, California, United States
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Poggemann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRMP701
What kind of armor are you thinking is required? Skid plates in a particular area?
No armor is required. Its mostly gravel roads with some more \"advanced\" bits here and there (rocky/rutted sections). Did Stevenson to Ellensburgh this weekend and one of the participants drove a newer Cherokee Trailhawk and he did fine on everything but the snow past Taklakh Lake, which will be gone in Sept. I was in 2WD everywhere save the snow and rocky section between Nile and Ellensburgh (Baby Head Hill area). Mosquitoes were hideous from Stevenson through Packwood but probably not an issue in Sept. There is a new trail forming to bypass the hellish mud departing Bethel Ridge, the mud likely won\'t be an issues in Sept but the giant ruts will still be there. Make sure that you have planned a bypass for this area (I can help with this if you desire) in case it is bad. This is the hardest part of what we just did.
I was on the trip with @Ubiety and made it to Ardenvoir before having to head home. I hit a cross member out of my own stupidity, but I don't think armor is necessary.

The last few miles before Beehive Washout, the trails are pretty rutted from and croweded by side-by-sides. It flet like we pulled over the let them pass close to a dozen times.

Beehive Washout gave the stock and moderately loaded Gladiator some breakover angle challenges. With spotters, he made it over with about 1/2" clear. You'll need 4WD at the washouts.

Reactions: Ubiety